• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Bill Springfield trigger work

Bluelon

• 5 weeks later...

I called a buddy of mine who is a chemical engineer and somewhat of a metallurgist (he makes knifes) to ask him about barrels. When he found out it was for an AR, at the end of our conversation, he said, "By the way, if you ever think about getting one of those high dollar triggers, check out Bill Springfield first."  He knows how I am always trying to figure out a way to get top quality AND save a buck. He said that this Springfield fellow can take a so-so trigger and make it feel a lot like the high dollar ones.

I put a lot of stock in my buddy's opinion, so his recommendation is good enough for me. You, on the other hand, may want to file it under "for what it's worth."

DocLarsen

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

just installed my bill springfield prepped trigger and hammer into my lr308 lower.  i had 4# pull and speed hammer mod done to my stock dpms fire control assembly.  it feels like (pardon the expression) christmas!  super fast turn around time by bill.

while corresponding with him via email, he answered all my questions both quickly and professionally. 

• 1 year later...

When I need a 'precision' trigger it's strictly Geissele for me.

I agree with that (I just love my Geissele) ,but for a service trigger group , you can't beat his work or his price .

He did the trigger group in my 870 12 ga. Mag. DSG also & its right at 4# & I have shot plenty of white tails up there in Ohio with it . Year before last a 158 yrd. one shot drop on a 9 point .

I don't think I could have done that with the stock Rem. trigger.

No doubt the Geissele sear surface will last a life time. We all should know that the mil spec  TG 's are a crap shoot as far as there hardness in the sear area's.

Liability is as much of a concern as reliability. I'd be concerned about having a 'modified' FCG in the event of an accident.  I have to wonder if Bill Springfield would back you up in that case.

I've heard of instances where a customer had a weapon malfunction with one of his triggers, and he talked him through the steps to correct the malfunction and offered to take the trigger back to repair it if the owner wasn't comfortable with doing the work on their own.

thats like coming in on a discussion about a DPMS oracle and telling everyone they should just buy M110s instead.

Given Mr. Springfield's reputation, it's not something I would personally worry about a whole lot. On the other hand, he's a human and as such, subject to the occasional error. It's not an illegitimate point, but it's not an overly worrisome point for me either. If you can afford the Geiselle as the alternative to a trigger job, by all means buy the Geiselle. If not, get an affordable trigger job from a very reputable smith.

Based on the trigger work I've seen, there is very little geometry change in the parts themselves, mostly burrs are removed and critical surfaces stoned square & flat.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...