• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

New 308AR builder - Illinois

phunk

Just wanted to say this website has been a great resource for my research the last few months. So thank you to all you who contribute to the useful content here.

I have come back to this website several times while trying to make decisions.

My only AR is an AR15, and its a Sig M400. It's got the typical Magpul furniture trend applied to it, but mechanically stock. I have decided that it performs to my expectations reliably and I will leave good enough alone. I don't know who makes the barrel, but with lake city xm855 it groups an inch at 100 yards with an eotech and 3x magnifier. I believe the 1:7 twist will do even better with the 75g hornady stuff I have waiting for spring. So at any rate, I'm very pleased with it.

Now I want to reach out further, and tighter. I think more can be squeezed out of the AR15 platform, for sure... But not for me. I have this weird thing where I have to assign all my firearms a role, or a job description. Even though the only roll they will ever truly play is target shooting, it's just the way I work. So I cannot alter my AR15 to fill this other position I have, because it won't do it as well as a 308AR, and it won't be able to fill its existing roll as well after such changes.

I've spent some time trying to decide if I wanted to build or buy. If I bought, I would wait to get my hands on the new Sig 716 Precision model, but they are not out yet, and in this climate I expect will sell for over $3000 if they hit the streets soon.

I was looking at Mega receivers for a while, but I don't feel like paying that type of money on gun broker and they tell me they are back ordered over a year which is a really ridiculous thing to say to a customer. Sounds like someone needs to buy another CNC or outsource some machining.

Yesterday the SI defense sets caught my eye, and I ordered from them directly. They gave me an estimate of 3-4 weeks. I hope it's not much longer than that, I am excited to get started.

I always have a lot to say so I apologize in advance for that.

Thanks guys.

Yes I agree and I won't over pay. I did find a local MATEN upper for $350 with a new PMag included. I might pick that up too. Between the SI Defense lower ill have, and having a MATEN upper, I should have all the dimensions I need to build my own lower for the MATEN. I work in product engineering and CNC machining and injection molding.

I almost tried the receivers on my own, but I only found a CAD file I trusted for an Armalite lower, and it was the older one that didn't take PMags. I could not find solid enough information to come up with the dimensions I needed to tackle the project without endless engineering and needing all the parts that go inside it first.... Wasn't worth it versus 500-600$ to just buy the stuff.

Is it weird that I really like the looks of the angle in the receiver mating surfaces just in front of the buffer tube on the armalite and mega? I don't know, I just think it looks cooler than the DPMS and AR15 curve there.

Welcome Phunk.

If you clone that SI-D lower in your own, and you don't need it anymore, let me know. I was thinking of ordering the new Gen4 lower... In fact I just got off the phone with them. The price was right, but my timing isn't (new baby just arrived).

When you do get the demensions done, I hope you join up with DEFCAD and add your design. More people like you would be greatly appreciated in the community!

That was just a slam at unforgiven for his mispelling of shotgun. He must have ringing in his ears from all the working recently. <laughs>

But if I'm ever lost, or in the witness protection's services and find myself in the midwest.....I'm all in. <lmao>

Edited by Rsquared

Today I ordered a Magpul UBR stock. I see mixed reviews on it, but I actually just like the look of it, and ill give it a shot and see what I think of it. It comes with the receiver extension too which is convenient for me right now. I suppose that means I should start searching for my ideal buffer and spring. A quick glance led me to Heavy Buffers products that are in stock at Brownells, but I should read about it more.

What forum section is ideal for a build thread once I start one?

Edited by phunk

I don't have a shootgun. <laughs> 

But I'd be happy to spend an afternoon shooting with you any day my brother. Kind of a long commute though. <lmao>

What the fook <lmao>  Come out brother Ron I'll pop for the drink and smokes,you'r welcome anytime.Shootgun :blink:  :hethan:

Today I ordered a Magpul UBR stock. I see mixed reviews on it, but I actually just like the look of it, and ill give it a shot and see what I think of it. It comes with the receiver extension too which is convenient for me right now. I suppose that means I should start searching for my ideal buffer and spring. A quick glance led me to Heavy Buffers products that are in stock at Brownells, but I should read about it more.

What forum section is ideal for a build thread once I start one?

I can't speak for anybody else. But I put one of these on one of my AR-10 lowers........ and LOVE IT.

Is it a little heavy? Yes.

Does it stabilize (balance) the weight of the front end?       Yes.

Is it easily adjustable? Yes.

Does it feel good in your hands?   YES!

I've already planned on using this style of stock on a couple other builds that I have in mind. Just my opinion. For what it's worth.