• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Tracking Point long range system

I'm not sure if any of you have seen the buzz in a bunch of magazine and SHOT Show 2013, but Tracking Point has come out with a long range shooting system that turns the average JoeSchmo into a long range shooter in a matter of minutes. The starting price is $17,500 (includes rifle and scope) but I just look at it as a starting point of things to come in the future. The scope will continue to get smaller and the price will ultimately start to go down over time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yu2EqO1qbrQ

• 2 months later...

This story popped back up on Yahoo today. Apparently the system runs from $22,500-$27,500 and works off of a system that "wires" the trigger to the scope so the weapon can only be fired when the target is locked into place. It apparently does all the calculations for the shooter (distance, wind measurement, gravity, etc.) and all you have to do is wait for the system to give you the green light to shoot. Seems like it would take the fun and skill out of it for the dedicated shooter...

Very entertaining video to see that in action. It's hard to believe we have snipers making more difficult shots on smaller targets at great distances (at times) and with a lot less tech. I'm sure many scopes will have similar tech in the not so distant future.

Edited by jrtmasp

Now now boys. I see this kind of argument in all sorts of situations. People like to believe that because tech moves forward, mankind moves backwards. What could tech like this do in the RIGHT hands? A sniper with skills could likely elevate the capability of both this tech and themselves. Have you seen the sort of technology that has changed in cars...even just over the last 20-30 years? Is everyone a race car driver now? No, but the racers can do things with these cars that would blow the minds of the racers before them.

Edit a spelling blunder. I wish Siri would get some better tech and keep my fat fingers in line...

Edited by DNP

I just pray it is never legal for hunting in any sort of way.....  there is already to many lazy hunters no skill and no desire to learn woods skills we do not need any more tech in hunting ..... it just turns it to killing some things must be held in high esteem... IMO  I like new stuff too but you have to be carefull what you want...

^^^Agreed. A person should be well trained to hit out to some of those distances that that tech makes look easy. It is nice though. The only thing that I'd love to have with my scope(s), besides outstanding clarity, is a built in range finder. Of course some already have this feature but it would be nice to see it in more scopes.

Edited by jrtmasp