• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Muzzle Devices

mineralman55

I'm looking for feedback on various muzzle devices for my build... almost a poll on what you've put on your .308ARs. No wrong answers, just what did you install and a couple remarks on why you like or dislike what you have. Is it better, worse or no change from the standard A2 birdcage. I'm not interested in getting a suppressor so let's not get into those.

All this is leading up to helping me select a muzzle device. I've searched the forum for threads on this, but most of those threads are a bit out of date. In order of priority I'm looking for reduced muzzle flip/recoil, reduced noise to me, and reduced flash. I'm not all that concerned about flash. Realizing that each device is a compromise on these factors, what have you all liked and why?

Ive got a jp/bernie cooley brake on mine combined with adj gas block and JP SCS. Like above it has less recoil than my varminter 223 bolt action. Only movement of the bipod is back so no flip and noise is fine if ur the shooter, sux for anyone at a 45* angle from you haha. The other day i forgot to re apply my ears after replacing a target and sound at shooter was less than my AR without ears

I use a BattleComp on one of my rifles. I have a BattleComp on another rifle. I have the BattleComp on my long range rifle and a BattleComp on my 14.5" rifle. I have another BattleComp on my hunting rifle. Did I mention I also have a BattleComp?

Seriously though, I put several BC v1.5's on 14.5" 5.56 builds. I have a BABC on my 14.3" 300Blk. I also have a BABC on my 17" .308

I will have a v2.0 or v1.0 on my 10.3" pistol build I'm plotting out.

I got a private email from BattleComp, when I was inquiring about their 51t modification, hinting that they may be working on their very own 51t model (or similar).

I can speak for the sjc titan, I have one mounted on my rig. I like it a lot, it reduces felt recoil and muzzle jump fairly well, but is a noisy bitch though. I believe with this device and my geissele  SD-E trigger my groups off bench were enhanced. Before the muzzle jump sucked with the a2 style and even a spikes dynacomp mounted, with the titan follow through after each shot is pleasant for me. I would compare the recoil almost to that of an ar15 now.

Dunno how I missed the Nordic on the Midway pages. Would you buy it again for the AR?

small update on this. for a change we ended up with lanes next to each other at the range, and damn, being on the left or right of the 308 with that Nordic corvette on it is WAY louder than being behind it. you get a freakin shock wave with every shot :D

Robo, you must have stock in BC. ^-^

Keep the opinions coming folks. My research into muzzle devices is pointing me strongly at the Griffin Armament 7.62 Flash Comp and the Effin-A. These look to be outstanding units.

I have the Griffin 7.62 Flash Comp and am happy with it. I also have a PWS FSC30 and prefer the Griffin. I was surprised how easy it was to shoot my MK216 standing with the Griffin. 

Now if only Robocop could find some damn time so we can finally shoot and compare the Griffin and BABC!

Anybody run a Noveske pig on a .308? I've got a 16" light profile barrel with a 15"pri carbon fiber tube. Didnt realize how large a diameter of the pri was till i got it. The pig screwed on there would equal it up. I'm running a Syrac adj gas block so I could adjust gas as needed.  

The KX3 wouldn't be as beneficial (as designed) on a 16" barrel.  It's more for shorter barrels (increases backpressure and gets concussion awa from you).  It's also a chunk of weight to put that far forward - that's alot of "swing weight."

• 4 weeks later...

Honestly I didn't notice much difference between it and the fsc30 I had on it other than friends stopped complaining about the concussion they received from me.

Maybe just a little bit more recoil than before but still very comfortable and easy to manage. This is based on a PWS long stroke piston system though and honestly their recoil feels a lot softer to me than a DI or Short stroke piston does so I'm not sure how exactly it would feel on another gas system. My friends that run them on 5.56 and 300blk guns love them.

As far as muzzle rise it really works well for me. 

• 2 weeks later...