• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

How much lube?

Powerman

OK, I really think I'm not getting it. When I first got my rifle, I had a lot of FTFs... we all looked at the gas block and so on.. my gas block is fine, no adjustment, and probably over gassed like most.

When I was breaking it in, I finally soaked it in motor oil and it ran. So now, my rifle is broke in. Probably 1000 rounds or a little less. I'm still having FTFs. I take lube with me, and I will pour some more in, and it will run... but it is sort of getting silly.

Sooo... WHAT and HOW MUCH am I supposed to use?

I was using grease, but that does not matter because I have o put oil on and it goes away. I use Mil Pro-7 lube. I coat the bolt, and carrier. Get plenty on the rings. Put grease on the bolt lugs. I basically go by "Mail Call Mondays regiment"... But not too long, it starts short cycling, and I throw some lube on and it runs again. We are talking like 100 rounds and it is acting up.

Help a brother out, what do I need to do to keep this thing running?

if it is shortcycling wouldnt that be an undergassed problem?

And on mine i wet down the bcg pretty well before sliding her in then put a few more squirts in through the ejection port before each session.  Dripping wet is the way to go.

And also....the other guys can correct me if im wrong...personally I wouldnt use grease.  It seems like with the fouling involved with a gas operated rifle it would just create a gummy gritty muck that may cause more resistance than help

Edited by BigP623

Ya, not using much grease anymore. Not really worth it... I'll leave it off entirely for now on.

Is Milpro-7 good enough? Is "thicker" oil any better?

After I clean my gun I lube with it that but when at the range I will squirt some Castroil GTX on the BCG before I shoot. It is broken in and lube doesn't have to be dripping on the floor. Mobil One is the other popular choice.

Hi   mil-7 is fine,but you said you got a thousand rounds down the pipe? If thats the case dripping wet isnt needed on a rifle thats working right.

every ar dpms style ive built...bout 7....they run like snot without the snot after a few rounds...dripping wet is fine for a new weapon,but 1k shot...she shouldnt need to be dripping wet...you got issues....use a normal amount of lube on a clean rifle....then do the ol will she lock back after the last round function check.....shoot the gun with one round when its  newly oiled...locks back? then shoot the weapon until she gives you problems...when that happens shoot the one round and see what happens(locks back) after shes been running then get back with us  .....YIKES i just went back and read you are greasing up the bolt lugs....dont do that ...no grease on the lugs..it will burn up cake up and cause problemos your burnt grease needs to be cleaned out of the chamber real good :))    Wash

Edited by washguy

Strange, I use grease on all my bolt lugs & have no problems what so ever . I'm also not one to keep my AR's spotless , I will fire four ,five hundred rounds before I even think about cleaning them & then shoot more before doing so.

Of course there are times , when testing new reloads , I will clean the barrel between reloads to make the comparisons are equal .

I use GunSlick grease & a synthetic grease "Red & Tacky " , very sparingly, of course . I also use the Red &Tacky on the FCG sear engagements surfaces . 

I do not use grease in cold weather. 

Your FTF , have you used different mag manufacturers ? The mags you are using , how do the feel when you push the follower down or when loading the mags ? Are they very difficult to push rounds down or just the follower ?

So I had a DPMS gas block that got changed to a PRI gas block. I use new Mag pul mags. Today I was using some odds and ends... CBC nato, Some 20 rounds of crap nato. American Eagle .308, and a box of Federal SMK that jammed at the end. The mags all feel the same.

So do you guys just lube up the carrier... all over? Is there any place that needs more than others? I can't even tell any real wear patterns on the carrier. It's chrome plated.

Anybody out there using frog lube?  I just tried it on my DPMS. Degreased it, heated it up and brushed it on all over. Let it sit for couple hours. Then wiped off. Have not had a chance to shoot it yet. Hope it works, would be nice not to have it dripping anymore. 

Hi Kilt   frog lube has worked nice for me....i guess ive used em all over the years.....it works well.....but heres the thing, all of my four 308's work fine without the dripping wet syndrome....ive gone to the range multiple times and shot all four without even adding a drop of oil from previous outings...i just dont think a properly running ar308 needs to be baby coddled and oil drenched to make it run like a clock or run period...im not singling you out :)) but  ....I always wonder why all the folks have to  carry a jug of lube to keep their rifle running?  Would anyone go into battle or defend themselves with a weapon that needs to have a jug of lube nearby to insure it works? Maybe im just lucky?  If any 308 or any pistol or ar15 needed to be treated like this it wouldnt be taking up space in my gunsafe!  :))    Wash

Should only need to run them dripping wet during initial break in, as said  & that depends on how long every thing takes to wear in . After break in , shouldn't need any more than normal lubrication , per manual .

Check to see if there is a mark on the disconnect from the hammer hitting it & use a different manufacturers magazine, just to see how it functions with the rifle.

Changed the gas block ? Change it because of the FTF or did the FTF start after ?

Edited by survivalshop

I had a DPMS one and there was gas leaking out. Fouling from under the block on both side. And yes, it was because I was trying to figure out jamming. But I also know that I did not use near enough lube when it was new. So I got a PRI because it was so highly recommended, and it does the same thing.