• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

San Francisco rail commuters on phones didn't notice gun before killing, police say

98Z5V

Published October 09, 2013

FoxNews.com

The man drew the gun several times on the crowded San Francisco commuter train, with surveillance video showing him pointing it across the aisle without anyone noticing and then putting it back against his side, according to authorities.

The other passengers were so absorbed in their phones and tablets they didn't notice the gunman until he randomly shot and killed a university student, authorities said.

Before that moment, footage showed the man pull out the .45-caliber pistol and once wipe his nose with the hand holding the weapon, authorities told the San Francisco Chronicleexternal-link.png in a story on Monday.

"These weren't concealed movements -- the gun is very clear," District Attorney George Gascon said. "These people are in very close proximity with him, and nobody sees this. They're just so engrossed, texting and reading and whatnot. They're completely oblivious of their surroundings."

Authorities declined a request by The Associated Press for the surveillance footage, citing an ongoing investigation.

San Francisco police officials say people who pay too much attention to digital technology are also vulnerable to theft.

"Oftentimes when you interview people who get their phones stolen, when you ask them to describe where the person came from, what he was wearing, they have no idea," said police Chief Greg Suhr.

Nikhom Thephakaysone, 30, has pleaded not guilty to charges including murder in the Sept. 23 attack on Justin Valdez, 20, a student at San Francisco State University who was shot in the back of the head as he left the train.

Thephakaysone also has been charged with assault with a semi-automatic handgun. Prosecutors said he stuck a handgun in another man's back earlier the same night he shot Valdez as he looked for a victim.

He did not pull the trigger and went on the hunt again for a victim for more than an hour, at one point waving a gun outside a Thai restaurant, Assistant District Attorney Scot Clark has said.

He was also charged with illegally possessing an assault weapon after police said they seized two such rifles, combat knives and razors at his home.

Police said he was carrying $20,000 in cash when he was arrested.

I see it every day. Cops are natural people watchers, so we point and laugh often at how people get so absorbed into their electronics. CA has me hammering drivers for using phones while driving.

This kind of crime, especially in SF, is not surprising to me in the least

That's why I moved from Fremont back to AZ a few months after 9/11. poop started going crazy there, and working in Emeryville/Oakland didn't help either.

...and I really hate drivers who txt while driving.

Edited by shibiwan

I love ppl watching so I'm always looking around, also I've been finding when I stop for lunch I sit with my back to a wall away from the door, don't know why or when I started doing it but I feel safer that way when I'm alone.

Just read a story about how 20 something females are the most targeted subjects in theft, because they are the ones most engrossed in their phones and not to what's going on around them

Ps there have been a few times I've been sitting into work van doing paper work or on the phone and some one gets to close an I get A little defensive. One day I didn't notice this older gentleman I was doing my paper work and he walked up to my van and instead of taping on the window, he opened the door instantly grasped my pen like a dagger and look at this guy as he starts asking me directions?!?? I said to him wtf are you opening my door for you scared the hell outta me, then he noticed the pen in my hand. He took a few steps back and said sorry. I told him is ok but that's not a very smart thing to be doing!

Edited by shepp