• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Rhode Island here, First 308 build

Toolndie7

Hey guys,

Just checking in. Ive been lurking around here for the past few weeks soaking everything up. Seems like there are plenty of knowledgeable and helpful members here. I look foward to learning as my wallet deteriorates . Ive just machined an 80% TM-308 lower and have a dpms upper on the way.  PRS stock soon, then onto a barrel and bcg.  still havent decided on barrel length yet but I am in no rush. 

If I had mine to do over again, i'd go with a slim profile 16" with a midlength gas I think. The 20 is pretty heavy, and its really not important for anything under 800 yards to have that extra length.

And welcome from Florida!

Thanks Easy.  the more I read the more im leaning towards the 16"-18" range. Dont want this thing to weigh 30 lbs. and dont have plans to go out past 500yds anyway.

Thanks Easy.  the more I read the more im leaning towards the 16"-18" range. Dont want this thing to weigh 30 lbs. and dont have plans to go out past 500yds anyway.

Honestly? a 14.5 with a welded on 1.5" muzzle brake should be plenty for that. Sure with the 20 I could go out to 900-100 yards with the right scope and if I was a better shooter :D but carrying it through the woods? that's a pain in the neck, fairly literally.

• 1 month later...

Just an update heres what Ive got together so far

TM-308 lower 80%

DPMS upper

PRS stock

Troy 13.8 Battle rail

KNS non rotating pin set

CMMG 2 stage trigger (for now)

Just ordered a fulton 18.5" barrel and bolt

Got a JP brake in exchange for threading a friends barrel

so far I'm under $1500  but..........

still Need,

tach ops charging handle

Gas block  (prob adjustable)

Bolt carrier

BUIS   (for now)

then some glass

Bipod

Edited by Toolndie7

• 3 weeks later...

Indeed Sir...  Indeed.  Nothin like buyin em live and listening to em hiss when you drop em into the boil...

I've been saying I was going to make a chowder "soon" for about the last 6 months but maybe I'll finally throw one together.  I make a clear clam chowder that'll make ya wanna move here...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Went to the range today with my first build, a little aggravated cause I had to wait for the local LE to finish qualifying so the range was closed for a little bit.  So I put a couple mags down range and everything cycled beautiful. I dialed my home made gas block in and locked it down. There were a couple guys on either side of me with ar15's plinking away and BOOM The 308 brass bouncing off the port and the concussion of the JP comp got there attention  :))  I had a lot of questions to gladly answer.  Cant wait to go back when I get time. Now I really got to get going on a scope.  

I just wanted to say thanks again to this forum for all the knowlage and info I have aquired. My plastic card is a little worse for the wear but its all worth it in the end.   There is an end isn't there?.........