• Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

DPMS .308 FTF ever round???

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ford/ Chevy Argument? Bwaahaaahaaa <lmao> There is no Argument

DPMS running like an Armalite? <lmao> Really?

Sorry! cough, cough. I'll try to stay contained.

Yeah................you're right.................that chevy will outrun my Ford anyday. <lmao>

No....stop....stop.....you're gonna make me tear up laughing too much.

I'll give........just not to embarrass the other side. <lmao> <lmao> <lmao>

God I love you guys......................................you make me laugh....... <lmao>

Edited by Rsquared

after checking all listed items from previous posts I took the DPMS308 out again this morning.  Now I'm able to get 3 shot intervals before it jams.  Still annoying but its an improvement from it being a single shot.  now when I shoot it, its...1shot....2shot...3shot....4th live round is chambered but trigger acts like the hammer is still up or the safety is on.  I checked it several times once this happened by removing the upper and saw that the hammer was cocked and ready to fire and when I put it back together it would shoot the next round.  could there be another issue with the firing pin?  When I took it apart to clean it last night, I couldn't believe how easy the firing pin retaining pin fell out.  I didn't even touch it, it fell out on its own...is that normal?

Loose firing pin retaing pin is a non issue. You can buy a different one whenever.

Take a part your lower and push the hammer and trigger pins and when you reassemble the fire control assembly make absolutly sure the spring are install CORRECT.

I fixed ar lr308 yesterday that was FTF ing. Cock it fired then nothing. So I notice the trigger spring is not installed in the proper position. Took the fire control group out and reinstalled it , fixed.

So just check it. Stranger things have happened.

Was the bolt fully into battery when it FTF ?  I think you have a tight rifle assembly & it needs to get the round count up & don't be afraid to use a different lubricant . 
I use a small dab of synthetic grease at the back edges of the bolt locking lugs for break in , to help the bolt seat smoother into the barrel extension & as said , run her wet for a while .

The firing pin retaining pin can be made tighter , which type do you have ? One like the AR 15 or the 308 type that has a head on it like a nail ?

Edited by survivalshop

I only use reloads , so it would be hard for me NOT, to break in a new build without them , but if you are unsure of your ammo , factory ammo is a good choice , as was said .

308 /7.62x51 cartridges  are the same dimensions , its the chambers that are different . Any modern barrel will be able to shoot both , with out a problem , giving the ammo is to spec's.

Edited by survivalshop

Range update...

The gun is starting to loosen up and if I keep dripping motor oil in it every few minutes it seems to shoot better.  Its still not great but I can now shoot between 5-10 rounds per mag without jamming.

Now when the gun jams it seems to try and chamber (2) live rounds.....any ideas what would cause this?

I'm not using and NATO 7.62, its all bought now commercial 308win.  I've been changing between cheap stuff like steel cased Wolf,Tulammo, and also more expensive like brass cases Federal, Remington and both seem to produce the same results so far.

Attached it a photo of the problem.

post-14376-0-47819400-1388432395_thumb.j

Check out your extractor and the extractor spring. It could be a damage extractor, but it's likely just a crushed/compressed spring.

Luckily, both fixes will only cost you a fee dollars.

Shooting the steel case ammo in a rifle that's not 100% broken in can damage the extractor. The mil surp ammo can burn dirty and foul up the inside of the bolt, wearing out the spring. I managed the latter on my first 7.62x39 build.

What brand mag. are you using ?

Trying to feed two rounds at a time is usually magazine related, the feed lips are not holding the cartridges in place or like my CMMG lowered build , it will do that with any P-Mag  I put in it ,the rifle will function correctly with only steel mags .

Now if its a spent, non-ejected round & a live round , could be ejector or extractor problems.

Save that steel cased fodder for when the rifle is functioning correctly . IMO that stuff sucks .