• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

What did do today on your loading bench !

MikedaddyH

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well the 4th of July just got unsafe and insane haha! No really I'm a saftey nut on the holidays can't wait to piss off the neighbors!!

Rule 68.c of the 308ar forum:

Video pls!!!  You do not need to survive. Just make sure the video survives. If you do not kill yourself, just take that as a bonus.

<laughs>

Edited by shibiwan

With my frustration over cutting out military primer crimps, I picked up this little beast today. 

PRIMER POCKET SWAGER TOOL-2

9481.jpg

Just tested out 100 pieces of unfinished 300BLK brass with it - I should have been doing this the whole time.  It does a great job, and it's FAST compared to cutting. 

With my frustration over cutting out military primer crimps, I picked up this little beast today. 

PRIMER POCKET SWAGER TOOL-2

9481.jpg

Just tested out 100 pieces of unfinished 300BLK brass with it - I should have been doing this the whole time.  It does a great job, and it's FAST compared to cutting. 

Hmmm... how does one mount this to the cartridge plate on a progressive?

I've been using a RCBS primer pocket swagger for a very, very long time . You will still find a tight one now & then & still need to do a little reaming , but it will not be much if you do . Depends on the brass , I still ream some ,because some crimped primers are not that bad. 

Swagger will not work with progressive presses with there own shell plates . If you don't have a single stage press , Lee has inexpensive press's that can be used for this procedure & many others . I also use my single stage for bullet pulling.

Today, I attempted to asnwer the question:

"How many cartridges can a tumbler tumble, if a tumbler can tumble cartridges."

Timer start - 0:00 min

IMG_20140621_071256.jpg

Timer Stopped: 0:34 min

IMG_20140621_082914.jpg

Answer: 634 .308 cartridges, along with four .223 cartridges that somehow snuck in there for the bath.

IMG_20140621_085605.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Sorted a bag of mixed .223/5.56 brass last night.  84 brand new baby Blackout cases were just born a few minutes ago!  <lmao>

Sorted out the 2011 and 2012 Lake City 5.56 NATO and chopped 'em up!  They're on their way...  <thumbsup>

post-7-0-78658700-1405825552_thumb.jpg

Yesterday I made 50rds of 308 consisting of 46g IMR4064, fed 210 primer, 125g sierra spitzer and oal of 2.700". I'm trying 4064 with this load for the first time, ran out of 3031. Mixed brass half PPU and Magtech shot around six times now, will scrap after next weekend.

Doesn't seem like much (84 rounds), but it's quite the job to take these heavy little bastards from 5.56 brass all the way to loaded 300BLK.  Lots of steps.  The most time consuming part is trimming them to length once they've been formed and deprimed.  I've been cutting them shorter in the mini chop saw just so I don't have as much trimming-to-length to do.  I end up cleaning them 3 times through this process, not counting the tumble the brass gets when it gets off the range.  Wasn't even 100 rounds, but it still took 2 days to complete. 

Greg, I have a better idea, brother - we build you a 300BLK rifle!  :hethan:

Here's where I'm at from the last couple weeks - everything on the right side of that upper tray is all loaded Blackout.  That's 530 new cases made, with another 3 mags to load and stack in there.  It eats up some time.

post-7-0-84473000-1405924250_thumb.jpg

Cut the 5.56 brass off just below the shoulder, so it's a straight-walled case.  After they're formed, trim to a final length of 1.363" and prime and load them.  <thumbsup>

I'll list up all the steps I take on this stuff.  I've added a few steps as I've gone along, just to make the next step easier.