• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Over a Year waiting for powder WTF!!

Pappy1600

That sucks.  Powder is trickling back here little by little but only in small qty.  From what Ive heard by law the manufactuing company can only ship 100lbs per day from their loading dock. I dont know how much truth there is to that though, multiply that times all the recent hoarding and the math it depressing.

EDIT:   found this out there

UPS delivery trucks are not Haz-Mat certified, therefore they are limited to carrying only 100 lbs of powder per truck. Any more than 100 lbs requires Haz-Mat certification, a route plan, and placards on the truck.

When we ship powder, we have to break it down into 100 lb chunks and call UPS to have extra trucks pick up. On a good day, we can get 6-8 trucks to ship 600-800 lbs of powder. But we may have 1,200 lbs of powder to ship, so as a result, we have to hold the extra 400+ lbs for the next day's trucks. With new orders coming in each day, we get backed up sometimes by 3-4 business days.

The same thing happens at the UPS hubs. They split the packages up to keep it under 100 lbs per truck. So if they only have 3 trucks running from our local hub in Bowling Green to the next hub in Nashville or Louisville, they only haul 300 lbs of powder that day. The rest of it sits at the hub until they have another truck free. We don't ship Fed-Ex, but I would guess they operate the same way. It's extremely expensive to certify all your drivers and carry Haz-mat insurance on a fleet of trucks.

Edited by Toolndie7

I have had 16lbs of Varget on order for over one year now and still no end in sight! WTF!!! is it just my area? are you folks seeing any out there? Getting a little pissed off now, hope to get some answers from the manufacturers at SHOT Show.

Time to start using another powder. IMR 4064 is an excellent replacement. Wish. I could get more of it but can only find 1 lb bottles.

Are you backorder at a major distributor or a large online store ??

HazMat does have weight limits on trucks with and without placards !

DOT certification 1 day or weekend version not too hard , I was certified for all paperwork back in 1999 to to 2004. Insurance is costly !

Schit, I'm down to about 6lbs of Varget now - and can't find it anywhere.

I've got a few pounds of other powders I'm going to play with, and see what they do.  There's 3lbs of Accurate 2520, and 2lbs of Accurate 2495.  I have high hopes for the 2520 in the 5.56 rifles.  If I can get some 77gr SMKs and 75gr Hornady BTHPs to 2750fps with that powder, it'll be my "new powder" for the 5.56 heavy loads.  I may even use it for the 70gr Barnes TSX loads, if I can ever find those damn projos again.

P1000032_zpsd97dd21f.jpg

P1000033_zps74af081c.jpg

P1000034_zps9ffd677e.jpg

Still need to process all these things - they've all had the initial tumbling, but they need decapped and resized.

P1000035_zpse72c5d51.jpg

Edited by 98Z5V

Time to start using another powder. IMR 4064 is an excellent replacement. Wish. I could get more of it but can only find 1 lb bottles.

DOT certification 1 day or weekend version not too hard , I was certified for all paperwork back in 1999 to to 2004. Insurance is costly !

I think Natchez still has 8 # kegs of 4064 still.

Lets all keep IMR4064 on the low down. :ph34r:

Works real well with .223 and 308 loads. <thumbsup>

Is it a stick powder? How does it meter through the powder measure?

Yes, longer than varget.

I used up 1lb of powder so far, no issues so far metering through my Lee Perfect Powder measure. If you read around the web some proclaim issues do to the longer grain, also that this powder is somewhat temperature sensitive.  Will have to see.

For those of you who don't know, All AA powders, except RL15, are temp sensitive.   AA even says so in thier catlogue.

I found out the hard way.   Loaded the wife 100 rds of 6.5 Grendel.   50 rounds stayed in her Jeep,over the winter.  The other 50 rounds stayed in the house.

Spring shooting, and the loads from the Jeep had noticably less "bang". and less vel on the chrono!

IMR powders, on the other hand, are NOT temp sesitive!  Yea, thier stick, and don;t measure as easly, but accuracy and velocity stays the same for years!

I built her a 270 Win when we were first married.  Loaded 100 rounds of hunting ammo with 4350 and old style nosler partitions.   She shot the last of them about 3 or 4 years ago.   At 3 rounds a year, 100 rounds last a LONG time ( one to check the sights, one for a deer, and one for an elk).  The point is, the last rounds shot the same as the first rounds, 20 years apart!

Now, I know that not everbody lives in a place that can go from -30 degrees in the winter to almost 100 in the summer, but thats my personal experience.

Respectfully

Terry

Now, I know that not everbody lives in a place that can go from -30 degrees in the winter to almost 100 in the summer, but thats my personal experience.

Respectfully

Terry

I'm almost there, brother, in the middle of the desert.  We can hit high 20s in the winter and damn near 120 in the summer.  :ugone2far: :tweed:

I did not know that about the AA powders, or the IMR powders.  <thumbsup>

I'm a IMR4064 fan for my .30-06 (Garand & commercial) and decided to commonize powder so my .308 and .30-06 feed from the same trough. Haven't even loaded any .308 with 4064 yet but confident enough in that powder to buy 8 pounders here and there. Haven't had any luck finding Varget and have given up. Try the powder bot thing - seeing more 4064 available lately. Good luck on finding Varget.

Edited by sodbuster

I weigh all my brass & put them into category by weight ,after trimming . The LC once fired brass that I just loaded , I had about nine of the 80 rd's. that were 175 .grs. +/- a couple tenths of a gr. & the rest were 179.4-5  to 180.1-2 , so the volume in the case does make a difference in velocity on the Chrono, but not to much difference in grouping . 

I still keep them in separate batch's , just because. Long range , it may make a difference.

I'm still waiting for more WC 846 to come back , I have many years of testing with this powder & now I'm finding I have to do all my testing again with other powders ,because of what ever is out there , is what's out there .

I'm not sure they will ever catch up or want to ,no matter what they say . This shortage is good for there business & I think they will keep it up for as long as they can  & I don't care what good intensions there press releases say.

Edited by survivalshop