• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Colt bought LWRC?.?.

Oh snap - this might be a factor in the sale.  Time will tell.

I talked about these guys right here a couple years ago(?).  F&D Defense.  Their 338 LM platform...

http://www.fd-defense.com/index.php/home/fd-news

EDIT - I think the 338 F&D Def gun was all drawings at the time - vaporware...

EDIT 2 - Found something: 

Edited by 98Z5V

I'm more inclined to believe this is a bad thing for LWRC than a good thing for Colt.  Kinda like Harley Davidson buying Buell…QC down the toilet hole.

Unlike one guy in the comments section, I owned a "green label" Colt HBAR.  My pre-Remington Bushmaster Dissipator shot circles around it.  Ever since then, Colt has seemed more like a label for gun owners…like Gucci or Calvin Klein for fashionistas.

Colt showed up with a truck load of M4 Commandos for our local SWAT. The rep said, "shoot them dry and run them full auto. If any of them hiccup, call me and I'll replace it."

None were returned.

Colt is a hard working man's rifle. No fashion shows. No 3G. No super long range paper sniping. Colt has been manufacturing guns for 200 years for one purpose only, putting chunks of lead in warm flesh.

Colt is not intended for 99% of the shooters out there. It is intended for the 1* crowd.

The CM901 shows that Colt isn't just sitting on its laurels. They will continue to be an industry leader.

The CM901 shows that Colt isn't just sitting on its laurels. They will continue to be an industry leader.

All the 901 showed was that Colt could develop a magazine well adapter (and charge $300 for a simple piece of plastic)... No more complex than the STANAG mag adapters for the G36. I would've been much more impressed if you could just take out the adapter and slap the upper on there and go, but as it is you still need to swap the buffer and action spring too.

I have shot a Colt AR15 National Match HBAR since 1993. Not once in over 3,000 rounds have I even had a jam. Now Colt might have declined since then, I couldn't say, but based on my experience with that rifle, I would have to see considerable proof that they have problems, before I would bad mouth them.

LWRC I believe just got a big contract to supply 6.8 mm AR' type weapons to Saudi Arabia. It is the biggest foreign contract of its kind ever. That makes them very attractive to buy out. Also, this might be the start of a type standardization of a piston system in AR type rifles. If Colt adopts LWRC's system in widespread usage, It may eventually become an industry standard. Then you could build piston type AR's like you build DI AR's, mix and match.

Never owned or shot an LWRC. 

I do own a recently purchased LE6920, and could not be happier, but I am not an "AR connoisseur", and the only other AR I can compare it to is the SP-1s we Army had in the 80s.

It is possible Colt was helping them out with a frivolous lawsuit, with the ownership changeover, and nothing much will change at all production-wise. However, I'm certainly no patent lawyer, but that theory may be a source for this sudden Colt hatred that's being spewed? Meh...mine shoots when I need it to, where I want it to.     

If you want to see problems with Colts, talk to anyone in the %1 of the army. Look could be the armourers fault, could be the number of rounds, or the number produced. But for a long time I was against any di gun because my experience with them.

My opinion on di has changed, and although I know my experiences with colt is not fair, I still see them as a label. Whether we are talking ar's or 1911s

The biggest thing I was surprised about with Colts Ar308 was not it ability to swap to 556, it was its weight... sheesh

I'm more inclined to believe this is a bad thing for LWRC than a good thing for Colt.  Kinda like Harley Davidson buying Buell…QC down the toilet hole.

Unlike one guy in the comments section, I owned a "green label" Colt HBAR.  My pre-Remington Bushmaster Dissipator shot circles around it.  Ever since then, Colt has seemed more like a label for gun owners…like Gucci or Calvin Klein for fashionistas.

Haha, I am always surprised to see a buell reference, and equally surprised when I talk to motorcycle people, and talk about buell, and they say "who? What?"

An xb12r will be mine...

Anyways, I would speculate lwrc's price will remain, and quality control will diminish. But as a positive, maybe we will get a standard piston.

The only good I see from this will be from the aftermarket.

Colt showed up with a truck load of M4 Commandos for our local SWAT. The rep said, "shoot them dry and run them full auto. If any of them hiccup, call me and I'll replace it."

None were returned.

Colt is a hard working man's rifle. No fashion shows. No 3G. No super long range paper sniping. Colt has been manufacturing guns for 200 years for one purpose only, putting chunks of lead in warm flesh.

Colt is not intended for 99% of the shooters out there. It is intended for the 1* crowd.

Run them dry ? Really ? If I was using this or any type rifle for work or combat , that statement would have raised an eye brow for sure . Any time you hear a statement like that you know its BS. How long can you run it with out lubricant ? Whats happening to the components running them dry for extended periods of time ? Premature wear for sure , no matter what finnish you have on there .

What if it hiccups when in CQB , what then ? This reminds me of the days when (probably still this way ) these magazine editors would get firearms that were special built, just for there testing , not the ones you or I would get off the shelf .

Colt AR's are nice rifles & they have a good name behind them, but I have over the years worked on Colt AR's & they are no different then any other rifle thats mass produced , a % will break or malfunction & will need repair , just the way it is .

The more of any firearm thats made , the more % of problems will surface. Demo rifles are notorious for being gone over , sometimes with special parts that you or I will never see in a production rifle .

Colt does support three gun & has custom rifles made by them for the matches.

I think this is a good deal for Colt , myself.

Edited by survivalshop

I routinely went well over 2500 rounds with only a few drops of oil and a bore snake run through the barrel every morning.

Sorry ,but that's not running it dry .

My point was that we don't have a manufacturer that says , if you rifle hiccups , we will replace it , nor can that happen in combat , you don't have extra's to pick up or have the time to wait for a manufacturer to replace it ,because it hiccups in a fire fight . The weapons have to be taken care of , to work properly & prevent premature wear , to prevent those hiccups .

I have no problem with DI gas systems or any gas operating system if they are routinely serviced . Its nice to have a major manufacture that is waiting in the wings to replace a rifle if it hiccups while in use by not using proper lubrication routine , which just rubs me wrong how some one ( manufacturers rep. ) can say that & not get the end users (professionals) to even question it .  ( to my knowledge )

This reminds me of a time when the DOD said , "this new rifle needs no cleaning , so cleaning kits w/ oil , will not be needed ". Seems like we went full circle .

post-14521-0-66183600-1393420542_thumb.j

Haha, I am always surprised to see a buell reference, and equally surprised when I talk to motorcycle people, and talk about buell, and they say "who? What?"
An xb12r will be mine...

I used to race in CCS with a bunch of their factory guys. Great crew. 

There's a Tuber we saw at AHRMA races, Rd America last year...

The old cyclones sure were cool :-)

What ebr is doing right now is very exciting. Its good to see.

It is great to know a certain rifle can be ran dry for a time. I will never try it. It will simply increase wear, which I do not want.

Alot of pogs also run their m4s really, really, wet. This is also stupid.

As with all things, there is a happy medium. I dont understand the current trend of talking about how long people can run their firearms dry or dirty... a good friend of mine has a bcm that he won clean because it doesn't "need" it... I dont understand it. Your firearm is a tool, and an investment. Take care of it.

This is not to say that a factory rep didn't say what you claim or it didn't happen. Foolishness is everywhere, shame on that rep.

And I hate that article. Sure if your a spec ops group guy with expensive new equipment in good shape its going to be reliable.

Sure, if you buy name brand expensive stuff new, it should be reliable.

These are not conditions the average Joe, or even the above average soldier gets. You would think in an airborne infantry riste unit you would get nice gear. False. We got crap. Guess how long I had until a jam with a proper cleaning, lubrication, and new mags? 6 mags. IF I WAS REALLY LUCKY. of course, the armorer said there was nothing wrong. More lube or less lube = more jamming. If I was in the field and running blanks, I might get 5 rounds in with a VERY tight bfa.

Results will vary. With proper care, Di is very reliable. Without proper care for an extended periods of time (the real world) it can be finicky.

But that article is like claiming the 2014 Camaro running royal purple is super reliable, so all chevies are really reliable, while we are still stuck in our moms Chevy Vega, pushing our feet through the floor boards and kicking along like Fred Flinstone.

Sorry ,but that's not running it dry .

You missed his opening statement in that article, brother:

I fired 2400 rounds of M193 through a 14.5” M4-type upper receiver from Bravo Company Manufacturing (BCM) with no lubrication, and without any rifle-caused malfunctions.

I worked with this guy in 1995 and 1996 - he's no-BS.  He is where he is now because of that.

You missed his opening statement in that article, brother:

I worked with this guy in 1995 and 1996 - he's no-BS.  He is where he is now because of that.

First , nothing against him or his tests, I wish I had the $$ to do testing like that .

Didn't miss it , it reads , removed all visible lubricant , not degreased & dry. Dry means dry, not impregnated with lubricant molecules of some sort .

I have no doubt of the test results & my point is & was that the damage done by doing this is probably irreversible & by doing this , the premature wear will result in component replacement to keep the rifle serviceable, if I was to trust my life or others , with a rifle treated in this way. IMO

It also doesn't say if the upper was provided to him from BC or he just ordered one like you or I would .That in its self, if provided by BC , would make the test suspect.

He tested & got the results that have been gone over on the internet & magazine industry since the M16 first came out . What started it all was misconception that these rifles or any rifle needs to be cleaned & lubricated . Ever since these rifles caused many American lives to be lost because of that misconception that they don't need oiling or cleaning , this debate about the DI system has gone on . He did some good testing that proved the DI system is just as good as a piston system & to me , less parts that move , is a very good thing .

You are into racing engines with you Quads , the coating that can be put on pistons & other internal components to reduce friction , are not to be used with out lubricants , they are there just to reduce friction . You wouldn't think of running in a race with out oil , I know there are additives out there that boast of such things ,but by doing so , would you use that engine for a daily driver afterwards ? If so , what kind of service do you thing you would get out of it ,with out a problem? 

Same with the coatings put on the components of AR"s , they are friction reducing coatings , sure you can run them with reduced lubricant , but when you wear that coating off & they will all wear off on high friction areas, what then, new components of course. 

Here's an example of real testing , IMO  , much better than any you will read about . I have an AR 15 I built in 1981-82 , its built on almost all Olympic Arms components , the only thing that was not purchased from them is the Milspec M16 BCG, I have shot this rifle so much over the years , I could not even think of what the round count is , this rifle has been maintained by me all this time & still has all the original parts still in it , except I put a TM. flat top upper Receiver to put a scope on it last year, all internals are original & I still take it out as a test bed for 5.56 reloads & since it has a Oly. 24" SS,Ultra match barrel on it & will still keep under MOA @ 200 yards, if I do my part. 

That test is why you maintain you firearms , most of us don't have manufacturers giving us firearms ,that will be replaced if any malfunction occurs or a firearm to test to make them look good.

Edited by survivalshop

• 4 weeks later...