• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Gray's 308 Carbine

Gray05

Well over a year after I started this process I am nearly done. I have all my parts in and just need to torque my barrel nut and check headspace. Since it's not truly finished yet I'll be updating this post/thread as I go. I hope to provide as much documentation as possible so this build could be a resource to others.

Idea Behind the Gun:

In 2011 I was living in Houston after recently graduating college. I was freshly employed and making good money. I was excited about the prospect going hog hunting more with my dad since I didn't have school tying me down. The few times I had gone hog hunting I used a Colt Sporter 7.62x39 (not mine) with a 4x optic. I started to see that I wanted something with more power and range but still relatively light and agile. So I started looking at AR-10s. Fast forward to December 2012 and I realized I may not have forever to buy a rifle like what I want. If not now, some day it could get banned. After some scrounging and finding 308ar.com I was able to order my receiver to safeguard against a ban. Hog hunting here in Louisiana/Mississippi isn't laying up with a sniper rifle. There's dogs working the hogs and we're all on four wheelers trying to work together to get positioned to head them off. You're constantly on and off the four wheeler. When you're on foot it's tough terrain. You could find yourself anywhere from hundreds of yards or 5 feet from a hog. You basically want a battle rifle purpose built for free standing shooting. And you don't want a failure because these piggies aren't very sweet.

Parts List:

-SI-Defense matched receiver set

-SI-D NiB BCG

-CMMG LPK (these triggers are pretty bad)

-MAGPUL CTR butt stock

-Brownells 16" LW barrel, nitride

-heavybuffers.com CAR-10 XH Buffer/Spring

-MechArmor TacOps-1

-Midwest Industries 15" SS Handguard

-Fulton Armory:

Gas tube (Mid-Length)

Forward Assist

Buffer Tube

Castle Nut

End plate

A2 Flash Suppressor

-DPMS Ejection Port Cover

-Geissele SSA trigger

Optics/Magazines/Accessories

-Eotech 512 optic

-20rnd PMags

-BDS Tactical Gear Enhanced Dual Sling

-Armalite Universal Upper vice block

Future Changes/Upgrades

-I'll get a different pistol grip eventually.

-A bipod would be nice to have

Problems/Issues:

-The Armalite vice block doesn't fit my upper very well. The bottom piece will have to be modified.

Weight: (I'll try to weigh everything and post it when I take it back apart to finish it all.)

Credit/Thanks

-308ar.com, You guys here in the forums have made this possible. I had never field stripped an AR much less built an AR that's not milspec standardized like our beloved DPMS based AR308's. I've never seen an online community that is as helpful, knowledgeable, friendly, and courteous as this one.

-My dad, I've been working on this very slowly until recently my dad donated the last 30% of the money I needed. He's the only person outside of this forum I've had to discuss this build with and seek guidance from.

-My wife, She has been very patient and supportive of my spending money and time on something she doesn't understand at all.post-13472-0-69581600-1395413941_thumb.jpost-13472-0-85039200-1395413999_thumb.jpost-13472-0-02544400-1395414081_thumb.j

Edited by Gray05

Thanks guys.

That's a beauty.

My $0.02...

Check out the Magpul MOE+, and think about replacing the A2 hider. Of course I'll recommend the BABC first, but the PWS FSC30 and the Lantac 7.62 Dragon are affordable options

The A2 is just a standard muzzle device that I'm familiar with. I wanted to see how it acts with it and go from there. Start simple and adjust as needed. Thanks for those suggestions.

I have the MOE+ as my top pick at the moment.

Edited by Gray05

Nice build . I agree with Robo., Get a nice brake on that light weight 16" bbl. , will help with rapid follow up shots if needed. Most good red dot ( or red/green ) sights will do work quickly to &  depending on your skill level, over 100 yard shots.

Edited by survivalshop

Did y'all ever get the results together from the flash suppressor/compensator round up? Has that even been done yet?

Not yet. I'm waiting for this camera to come out. 120fps capture or 240fps interpolated! I'm also wondering if the other folks here that said they wanted to send devices in for comparison will do it.

• 2 weeks later...

Test fired and sighted it in today. I ran out of time at the range but it's dancing around the red within 2 or 3 inches at 100 yards.

The stock trigger that came in the CMMG LPK is pretty bad. A Geissele SSA trigger will get here Monday via our 308ar.com brother Zebra664. I can't wait to get back out to the range with the new trigger once it's installed.

I did not get to weigh individual parts. But, I'm still wanting to get a overall weight and major components weights. I'll update when I do.

This thing is relatively light and has a fair amount of recoil. It's really fun to shoot. Plenty of guys at the range were admiring from afar. Got some questions and inspired some future 308ar brothers.

Any other recommendations that Robo didn't mention?

Yeah - keep that 512 on there.  1 MOA center dot.  No other 1x red-dot optic has that.  You can run that out to 400 yards with zero problems, due to the dot size.  65 MOA outer circle - perfect for short ranges, 25 and under.

When you zero a 512 (or any other EOTech with that 1/65 sighting structure) for a 50-200 zero, the base of that 65 MOA circle is actually dead-on zero'd for 7yards.  Base of the circle is designed for true CQB distance.

Keep your sight on there. If you find that you need magnification, look into the add-on magnifiers for red dots.   <thumbsup>

Edited by 98Z5V

Yeah - keep that 512 on there.  1 MOA center dot.  No other 1x red-dot optic has that.  You can run that out to 400 yards with zero problems, due to the dot size.  65 MOA outer circle - perfect for short ranges, 25 and under.

When you zero a 512 (or any other EOTech with that 1/65 sighting structure) for a 50-200 zero, the base of that 65 MOA circle is actually dead-on zero'd for 7yards.  Base of the circle is designed for true CQB distance.

Keep your sight on there. If you find that you need magnification, look into the add-on magnifiers for red dots.   <thumbsup>

Yea, I really like that 512. It's my first time to use a holographic. I think it's the best option for my intended use.

I'm open to any magnifier recommendations y'all have.

Common magnifiers are 3x, but Primary Arms has a 6x.  Those are your two options on magnification.   I'm running a Burris AR Tripler on one of my 5.56 guns, and that's a damn nice magnifier.  For a mount, there are several options, but the ADM flip-to-side mount is hard to beat.  I wouldn't hesitate to buy that combination again, but the beauty in it is - I can mount it on any other rifle I have, as long as I have a red dot at the "absolute" or "1/3 co-witness" height.  <thumbsup>

• 1 month later...