• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

DIY Keymod FFHG

Matt.Cross

Well, I've been working on a clandestine DIY project for quite some time now, since the KeyMod FFHGs and uppers have become all the rage. It took me quite some time to get this together what with my OCD and perfectionist nature and all. So enjoy a preliminary pic of my DIY KeyMod FFHG!

Keymod_FFHG.jpg

So, no sparing my feelings guys, what do you honestly think?  :love4:

Edited by Matt.Cross

HOO WEE, Matt, that there is smokin'!  'Minds me uv wun a them new fangled guns my ole lady uses on her XBox shootemup games.  I rekon y'all kud use them holes ta hold bout dozen squirls, jist stick there tales throu the holes an snatch em bak inta the lil slots, thatud hold um I ga ron tee!

Is that fully free-float? Looks like it might be resting on the gas block. Otherwise, it's got a unique appeal.

Yes, it's fully free floated! The handguard can also be rotated up to 180 degrees to accommodate usage in doorways or other cover/concealment options. Also, at the full 180 degrees of rotation, the bipod can be paracorded to an overhead item to provide stabilization from a "hanging emplacement" configuration, just in case potential buyers have an application for shooting from aerial platforms like tactical helicopters and stuff.  :ph34r:

What I really need to know is - when the hell did you get that glass?!!!?

EDIT - I think I missed this the first time - are the bipod legs keymod?  I mean, utilize keymod?  They attach to the tube via keymod, don't they?  Need to know if I'm looking at the pic right... 

AWESOME!

Edited by 98Z5V

What I really need to know is - when the hell did you get that glass?!!!?

I won it in a bet with a shooter, he took my bet that my Osprey would outshoot his NF 5-for-5 at 800 yards. He didn't know that while I was distracting him by getting loud defending my lousy optics, my wife was replacing the top 5 rounds in his Pmags with PMC 147 gr soft-points. Got a $2k optic for a $12.99 box of gun show trade boot.

EDIT - I think I missed this the first time - are the bipod legs keymod?  I mean, utilize keymod?  They attach to the tube via keymod, don't they?  Need to know if I'm looking at the pic right... 

AWESOME!

You are correct. The principal idea there was to keep the area where the legs are mounted from robbing keymod slots of precious rail real-estate. In this way, whatever the legs are displacing, can simply be mounted on the legs themselves. This is where this system comes into it's own when it comes to other rails or bipods. it wouldn't surprise me at all to see competitors start putting picatinny rails on their bipod legs based on this system. 

Edited by Matt.Cross

Are the main two elements from steel shelving, i.e., steel? You'll want some sort of coating.

My raw materials are a little bit of a trade secret, I've invested a lot of my kids' college fund in this thing, I'd hate to send all that down the drain for "Joe the Garage Gunsmith" to be making his own. However, if you were interested in trying one, I can certainly understand the appeal of it.

I didn't think about it like that, but you're right.  Never occurred to me until you said it.  I've got a Geissele rail that popped into my mind - the bottom and sides are almost "square" in a way, and it's a hell of alot more comfortable to hold than other ones, just because of that. 

I like it. I have grown tired of the round style handguards, personally. In fact, I am about to sell my MI SS Gen1 15 inch just for that reason alone. This could be the answer I was looking for.

I had to get creative with the "diamond"(patent pending) shape. One of the many problems I kept running into with round hand guards, is that they were difficult to steady with 45° offset sights, what with the rifle rolling around like a drunken double amputee on a spiral staircase. Offset sights work great as the rifle rests naturally on angle when the bipod isn't deployed.

Funny story, my wife was doing rapid rifle-to-sidearm drills with the new handguard, and her pinky got lodged in a keyhole right as she was transitioning to the sidearm! I was ROFLMAO while that 10lb rifle put her in an arm-bar with the rest of the ladies in her class stood looking on in shock and awe...