• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Greetings from OK - 1st AR

Gunner54

Hello, and glad to be here. Just purchased my first AR: Armalite AR-10 model 10A4BF; 20" bbl 1-11.25" twist rifling, 2 stage tactical trigger.  Now I've got to research scopes and accessories; my ageing eye condition doesn't allow me to use iron sites on a rife (pistol yes, but not rifle). I've scoped every long gun I have except my Remington Model 11 semi-auto shotgun (yes, that's the 1905 Browning design) that I've shot so much I don't need sights at all.

I've been reseaching ARs for years; and having shot other's .223/5.56mm, have been unimpressed with the stopping power and range, having owned a Remington  XP-100 in .221 Fireball and shot varmits for years (.221 Fireball is .223 rem with case shortened .3"). I'm more the sniper type, so chose .308 for more 'one shot one kill'. Settled on the Armalite AR-10 after lots of research.

I've been shooting rifle and shotgun since I was a young kid. I've accurized and glass bedded a Ruger 10/22 (.22LR) for nail driver accuracy having reworked the trigger myself for a 2.5lb pull. Now doing the same thing to a Ruger 96/22 lever gun in .22 Magnum. So I now have a new project in the AR-10.

I'd be intersted in other's experience with scopes for the AR-10 for long range shooting.

Edited by Gunner54

Hi Gunner welcome aboard.....and what price point? :) Wash

That's what I'm exploring. Not as much as the price of the rifle (~1300), maybe $450 - $850 range in a variable power depending on what I really need for 400-500 yards range. Not having shot that far before, I'l like comments on max power I need.  10X? 12X? 14X? maybe 50mm objective. But all this is subject to rethinking as learn more. Before now, I've been focused on rifle selection. Now for the rest.

Gunner the last two scopes I bought were the nikon m-308.....good out to 500 with these old eyes   :) Wash

Wash, I've looked over the Nikon M-308s, and they rate pretty high. I was wondering if you went for the standrad Duplex Reticle (Nicoplex) or the BDC 800 quasi rangfinder recticle calibrated for .308 168gr match rounds.  The only thing feature the M-308s lack is an illuminated reticle, which is very nice for low light, but not on my madatory list.  One of the roles for my AR-10 is a combat rifle if our economy falls apart, and social chaos erupts; hard to predict what lighting conditions I'd run into then.

I couldn't help but drool somewhat over a dual sighting system using a Trijicon ACOG with a reflex sight mounted 45degr off axis shown in a video by JP Rifles. Not that I'm up for spending that kind of bucks just yet. There's just too many other things I need to acquire for my AR-10, including an ammo stockpile (The AR-10 has not even shipped yet). Here's a link to the JP rifles video:

http://www.jprifles.com/v/v_d.php?v=ctr-02

I couldn't help but drool somewhat over a dual sighting system using a Trijicon ACOG with a reflex sight mounted 45degr off axis shown in a video by JP Rifles. Not that I'm up for spending that kind of bucks just yet. There's just too many other things I need to acquire for my AR-10, including an ammo stockpile (The AR-10 has not even shipped yet). Here's a link to the JP rifles video:

http://www.jprifles.com/v/v_d.php?v=ctr-02

Gunner54, you might want to consider making part of your project. It's SHTF-compatible. No batteries are involved. It gathers available light to produce its 'sight dot' and it has a tritium-powered backup dot for low/no light. In a SHTF world, batteries will be worth a lot but only briefly, until their 'shelf life' expires.

Gunner54, you might want to consider making part of your project. It's SHTF-compatible. No batteries are involved. It gathers available light to produce its 'sight dot' and it has a tritium-powered backup dot for low/no light. In a SHTF world, batteries will be worth a lot but only briefly, until their 'shelf life' expires.

Thanks gnatshooter; I'll keep it in mind, and you're offering a great deal. I've a lot of respect for those Trijicon trituim gas cans; the Diamonds Speed Sights I put on my 9mm has them, and they are very bright. Still, I'm going to need a high powered optic for the longer ranges the .308 excells at - I can't use iron sights at all from vision problems. The RX30A-51 would have to be an addition mounted off axis like the JP rifles video shows, and that require a new forearm for the AR-10 to get mounts in that position. Very tempting, though, and well worth some thought.

Gnat, you have to stop linking your items for sale every time someone mentions something in a thread. Give them your first hand experience sure, or link to another thread with an item review.

You can always bump your for sale thread every few weeks.

I can and will do that thing.

Welcome aboard I own a 2.5-10 BDC Nikon had it on the .308 for year+ but had trouble getting good groups at 100yds it was 450$ I recently moved to a leupold 6-18 mill dot but have yet to test it's range so far a much better grouping than the BDC !! 550$

Welcome aboard I own a 2.5-10 BDC Nikon had it on the .308 for year+ but had trouble getting good groups at 100yds it was 450$ I recently moved to a leupold 6-18 mill dot but have yet to test it's range so far a much better grouping than the BDC !! 550$

Thanks sketch, you just added to my short list for scopes; Leupold has always been a favorite (I've owned 2). You have the Leupold Mark AR MOD 1 6-18x40mm, right? Looking on Cheaperthandirt, the specs said on elevation clicks  ".1 Mil clicks, Elevation dial also marked for 55 Grain .223 Rem BDC". Does that calibration for .223 bother you any?

Wow, what a welcome! A wealth of good information to consider. Thanks, folks!  Looks like the Nikon  M-308 4-16x42, BDC800 recticle and the Leupold Leupold Mark AR MOD 1 6-18x40mm  with mil dot recticle are the top contenders on my list of scopes.  The Nightforce that Robocop1051 mentioned, starting at about $1700, is out of my price range for the moment, but nice to know for later. Heck, I'm starting out with a rifle with no sights at all, and a lot of supporting accessories to buy to get the thing functional.