• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Why you separate brass.

Sisco

At the end of the day today at the range, I had five rounds left. Three were in Lake City M118 brass, and two were in Winchester M80 brass. All were loaded with Winchester primers, RE15 41 gr., and 175 Sierra Match Kings. The three upper left are the Lake City, the two lower right are the Winchester M80. Mix and matching brass manufacturers can affect your groups. 100 yards off a bipod. AR10T carbine, 16 in barrel.

post-13300-0-98028900-1405713650_thumb.j

Edited by Sisco

Each of the compounts are important, both indivualy and together.

I'v seen bulletts , the same bullets, from different lots, shoot to different points of impacts,and different group sizes.    Mixed lots of brass cam make for much larger groups.  Same with different lots of powder.   Even primers make a difference!

many years ago, I built a 218 improved bee on a small Martini action.  only brass I could get was primed remington.   Best load I could work up would shoot inch and a half.used remington primers, cause thats what the brass came with. 

talked with a friend ,and  loaded up the same componutes, except with CCI primers.   3/4" group.

You have to make sure that ALL your componuts are the same.

Respectfully

Terry

Haha... my problem lies in the trigger nut. I shoot well when I'm relaxed and rested but as I go along my groups go from 1" to 4".  <laughs>

Maybe I'm getting too old for this....

P.S. Anyone got experience with LC MATCH brass (yes that's what the headstamp says)? Picked up a bunch at the local metal salvage place. Nice pristine once-fired brass at $3/lb.

Edited by shibiwan

After watching SS do his barrel comparison between .308 16" and 20", I've watched for all the little details in the numbers.

After seeing what he's been doing, I've revised what I do on accuracy-ammo for my 5.56 rifles.  I've been sorting my Lake City brass by year, and then weighing each brass piece to see the differences in weight.  I've combined some years of brass based on similar weight, and marked and sorted (loaded) ammo based on that.  Haven't had them out yet for a good shoot and comparo, but I'll get to that once it cools down here. 

Everything makes a difference, and if you can keep as much as possible "the same," you'll definitely see the differences that it makes, downrange.

Don't know if it makes a difference but a couple of people on a different forum SWEAR sorting by flash hole size makes a difference.  Two guys noted that Lake City brass had four varying sizes of flash holes, even within the same lot number, and came to the conclusion they must have four different machines for that operation.

• 2 weeks later...

At the end of the day today at the range, I had five rounds left. Three were in Lake City M118 brass, and two were in Winchester M80 brass. All were loaded with Winchester primers, RE15 41 gr., and 175 Sierra Match Kings. The three upper left are the Lake City, the two lower right are the Winchester M80. Mix and matching brass manufacturers can affect your groups. 100 yards off a bipod. AR10T carbine, 16 in barrel.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

I learned that lesson today (and a little humility). A week back I shot a itty bitty group, and I thought I was dialed in, let me tell you! So today I go out with the *same load*, and groups were 1.5 to 2.0 moa. The only difference? The brass, which was mixed.

I'll take 500 , but you should just give it away because its so old , from the mid sixties it looks . <laughs>

Really I'll take 500 . <thumbsup>

Well, I'd be interested in 1,000 rounds, if you want to sell some.  Even 2,000.

Respectfully

Terry

Didn't think any of you guys would be interested in the old once-fired brass......