• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Grade my proposed .308AR build. Comments/Critiques/Experiences welcome.

AdamO

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brother Adam on Aero's 5.56 lowers they provide that set screw for the takedown spring.What I found out is if you used it you would have to cut down the spring to makeup for the screw so I didn't use it.I could see if I have it in my parts bag if you want to use it.

Hey man!  I appreciate the offer on that.  I may take you up on it if it doesn't behave well when I switch out the grip to a Magpul +.  But in it's current state I'm OK with it for now. 

Thanks again!

-Adam

Armalite AR10a mag catch for the win... on ANY rifle.

I used one in my SI-D (DPMS variant) build.

Waiting to hear back from AeroPrecision.  I sent them the same pictures I posted here and some comparison pics of the AR10a and AR15 bolt catches that I stole from your thread >:D .  I basically suggested to them that the part they included was not the right part for the job and if they could trade me out for for a larger one (ala AR10a type).  I'm not holding my breath, but we'll see.  If not then I'll be biting the bullet on this one and ordering the Armalite part.

$27.95 for that stupid POS from 762sass.com after shipping! 

And Armalite is even worse!! They want $19.04 freight shipping on a part that weighs less than 1oz!!! <nutkick>

Edited by AdamO

Waiting to hear back from AeroPrecision.  I sent them the same pictures I posted here and some comparison pics of the AR10a and AR15 bolt catches that I stole from your thread >:D .  I basically suggested to them that the part they included was not the right part for the job and if they could trade me out for for a larger one (ala AR10a type).  I'm not holding my breath, but we'll see.  If not then I'll be biting the bullet on this one and ordering the Armalite part.

$27.95 for that stupid POS from 762sass.com after shipping!  <nutkick>

I went with the Armalite AR10A latch on my Aero lower.  It worked great.  I also used the Seekins mag button.  I found it to be the best combination.  The Seeikns button is longer then the standard.  I highly suggest this combination.  Also, I ordered mine from Armalite.  the shipping was $15.  Ouch.  I purchased a Armalite bolt catch for AR10A but it did not work.  I have a post on this site about this issue.  Someone else on this site had the same problem.

I got this response back from Aero regarding the matter;

The standard ar15 mag catch and button function fine on the m5. The button does not need to be threaded flush like an ar15. It has two more full thread engagements than a DPMS LR-308 does with the same mag catch and button.

So I'll go with it for now and see how it shakes out, but if it doesn't looks like I'm gonna be headed down the Armalite AR10A path.  I like that Seekins button too there warthog.  Any ideas where I can find both at the same time and not pay separate S&H?

Also I'm gonna call Armalite on the phone and argue with them over $19.00 freight shipping on a $12.00 / 1oz part that will fit in a small manilla envelope and see how far I get with it.

Edit:

On second thought, I can hold my own pretty well in SolidWorks and I have a fucking CNC in my shop from my custom guitar building days so what the hell..  maybe I'll just carve out my own fucking part!  Then I'll cerakote it bright fucking red just because.

Edited by AdamO

So I'll go with it for now and see how it shakes out, but if it doesn't looks like I'm gonna be headed down the Armalite AR10A path.  I like that Seekins button too there warthog.  Any ideas where I can find both at the same time and not pay separate S&H?

I got the Seekins mag button from Brownells.  

Thread that thing in there further, like stated earlier. You stopped short... :eek:

OK, So just to proove to myself im not crazy here I gave you the benefit of the doubt on this one. I threaded it in further... same result. Same engagement.

I threaded it further yet until it was flush which consequently resulted in the button pulling itself flush with the reciever side making it impossible to reach. No change..

The catch is fully seated in the receiver... Aero says it works that way and I'd like to believe they wouldn't say that if it wasn't true. I'll just need to buy a mag and try it to know for sure, but at first blush it looks a little sketch to me.

Edited by AdamO

I think I need to drive down there on Sunday, and find out what the fuk is up with this thing.  I have spare mag catches.  I'll just put one in, if necessary.

Meet you half-way?  Meet in Tucson?  If you're up for it, I'll provide linkup details:  I-10 exit number, time, etc. 

I can accomplish another mission on Sunday, also, if you wanna drive.  Save my ex-wife some time this way.  Bitch.  :soap:

Sure buddy!  I can meet you on Sunday.  I'm gonna try and pick up a mag after work today and see if this think actually works the way AP claims it does. 

I think I remember seeing .308 Pmags inside Trail Boss last time I was in there. 

Either way, I'm happy to meet/greet, etc.  You can have a look at this thing FTF and lend me your opinion.  No pants-less hugs though!!  I'm not into that shits...just sayin...

Update:

Grabbed two Pmags on the way home today and that bolt catch they sent me works like a boss after all!

I sure doesnt look like it engages very much but I'll be damned if it doesn't hang onto that magazine like a motherfucker and drop it straight free when released. Just wish it threaded into the button a little more.

I guess in the end I got all wound up over nothing. Aero's M5 lpk is GTG.

20140912_161245_zpsauxpipfe.jpg

Edited by AdamO

Um... look closer.. the TacOps is present and accounted for! ;)

The BAD-ASS, yes it is.. On the list as a future upgrade along with the MOE+ grip and some other goodies. But one thing at a time.. Just wanting to get this thing putting lead on target for right now.

Edited by AdamO

BTW Tom, if you're still reading this, I wont be able to make it to Tucson tomorrow.

No worries, brother - my bitch ex-wife picked up the boy last night, before I got home from work.  I'm painting a rifle tomorrow...  <thumbsup>

I'da still driven down to see you, even though you got it resolved.  I wouldn't have told you this part, but I'd get Jon involved in the sneak-attack, and you would have been wearing a black hood and Zip-Ties...  <lmao>

We'd MAKE YOU SHOOT AT HIS RANGE!!!  :bat: