• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Grade my proposed .308AR build. Comments/Critiques/Experiences welcome.

AdamO

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They must be small if you can conceal the pair...

midgets.jpg

Wait... I think I misread that

GODDAMMIT MAN!!  You mean they got out AGAIN!!??? :eek:

Now I'm gonna have to change the locks on the closet!  How in the hell am I supposed to explain this to my wife!?... :ph34r:

If you can conceal a pair of dikes from Tom, your wife doesn't have a chance in finding them...

of course one or both of them might know Tom already... hence the reason for their sexual orientation. I hear they were both 5'07" before they met him... rumor has it, he jackhammered the shiit outta both of them until they compressed to their current state.

Did some fit checking today.  Just tightened things hand tight. So far so good.  No issues pulling back the charging handle,  Bolt cycled properly and latched back with an empty mag.  Bolt catch and release seem GTG, the trigger group resets as it should.  I'm liking it so far.

Weighed in at 8lbs on the nose according to the bathroom scale. :D

20140920_082634_zpsup42tmls.jpg

20140920_082554_zpsigydtqog.jpg

You know, we can shoot that thing without a muzzle device on it.  Right?  No need to wait for that.

Let's met Jon in Marana and get this on. 

I'd love too, but I'm not 'quite' ready to go with it just yet.  I need a good vice block to get it all torqued down and I was waiting for today's payday to order a set of headspace gauges (go, no-go & field) just to double check things for myself.  Rainier said they headspaced it, but 1) I'm a control freak, and 2) I have trust issues.

Plus I need to get some optics for it.  I'm pretty hot for that SWFA  3-15, but for the money, I might gamble on that Primary Arms 4-14 FFP that I've been hearing good things about.  You get what you pay for sure, but they offer a 3 year warranty and Primary is GTG so if this gun beats it to death I can send it back while I upgrade and then this scope can go on something else.  (Would a 14x44 scope be overdoing it on a 10/22? <laughs>)

Edited by AdamO

Rainier said they headspaced it, but 1) I'm a control freak, and 2) I have trust issues.

If Rainier said they headspaced it - then they did.  Just like Fulton. 

When those guys say they do it, they really do.  If they confirmed it, you have zero to worry about.  <thumbsup>

If Rainier said they headspaced it - then they did.  Just like Fulton. 

When those guys say they do it, they really do.  If they confirmed it, you have zero to worry about.  <thumbsup>

Well, she's all together and good to go!  Headspace checks just like you said it would.  Saturday will be the break in :)

• 1 month later...

Ok, so I've been busy.... very busy and a month later I finally got to get away for a few hours and see what my girl is made of!  

1st things first.  This isn't  an official range report since I still have to get a proper optic mounted, but I grabbed a little cheapie (and I do mean cheap in the extreme!) red dot I had laying around just to have something to look through...  

I went down to the wash and did the barrel break in thing 1 shot & clean x5 then 5 shots & clean x5.  For the most part I used the ZQ stuff which is great for plinking and cheap too ($9.00/box at Walmart).. I wasn't really looking for groups of any sort and that's good cause the gun sent the el-cheapo red dot straight to its grave in a scant 4 rounds.

On the up shot, 30 rounds now down the tube consisting of both .308 and 7.62 NATO and not one single problem.. This firearm runs like a boss!  No FTE, no FTF, bolt locks back every time, and with the gas adjusted I've got 5.56 like recoil w/ brass spitting out right at 3:00.  What's left to say?  It's good....its so good.!!!  It's AR-15 good even

So for the record..  

The Aero Precision receiver set + Rainer barrel and matched bolt + DPMS .308 buffer assy w/ Syrac adjustable gas block = WINNER WINNER CHICKEN DINNER!

Now I just gotta get a decent optic mounted and see how tight she groups with some nice match ammo. :D

(Took some other toys along just for fun too ;) )

20141107_124629_zpsh5ecz9pm.jpg

Edited by AdamO

• 3 weeks later...

I went with the Armalite AR10A latch on my Aero lower.  It worked great.  I also used the Seekins mag button.  I found it to be the best combination.  The Seeikns button is longer then the standard.  I highly suggest this combination.  Also, I ordered mine from Armalite.  the shipping was $15.  Ouch.  I purchased a Armalite bolt catch for AR10A but it did not work.  I have a post on this site about this issue.  Someone else on this site had the same problem.

Are these the 2 items you used?  http://www.seekinsprecision.com/seekins-precision-billet-mag-release.html    & this    http://www.armalite.com/ItemForm.aspx?item=EA1108&Category=93c41860-4ca2-43ee-8ca9-dc09b1a5bf2c  ?