• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Grade my proposed .308AR build. Comments/Critiques/Experiences welcome.

AdamO

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks edge!  It's got a long way to go yet, but it's getting there.. 

The next decision I need to make before I get much further in is whether or not to send off the receivers (and the hand guard I don't have yet) to get cerakoted.

The whole tungsten grey w/ black furniture is really speaking to me right now... so is burnt bronze...

OTOH, I don't have a true 100% "evil black gun" in my collection... maybe this one should be the one. :D

(stainless steel barrel notwithstanding)

Tough choice, I have black and fde, next up is burnt bronze or mandrake kryptek

no question, mandrake kryptek. eventually i'm going to buy some of the rolls of their cloth, and have my mother in law make me some shirts and pants or shorts out of it. to me, that is about a perfect camo (at least for where i'm at)

So the final order went in at Brownell's today.  Ordered the carbine buffer kit from DPMS for .308, a gas tube, the Syrac Gen II gas block, an A2 flash hider and crush washer, and went ahead with the Midwest Industries FFT.  If it becomes an issue down the road I'll upgrade it and use the MI on something else.

Total cost for every thing shipped was $353.12 which puts me in at $1359.15 for the entire build.... which I USED to think was a good deal until those assholes over at PSA started selling complete free floated uppers for $599.00 and a complete matching lower for $299.00 <nutkick>

Official weights and pictures will follow when parts arrive.  Based on everything so far I should be within a couple ounces of my original projection.

Edited by AdamO

USED to think was a good deal until those assholes over at PSA started selling complete free floated uppers for $599.00 and a complete matching lower for $299.00 <nutkick>

I'm waiting for someone who bought one to show up here trying to solve some issues with their PSA. We already know about the forward assist being in the wrong location.

I wouldn't wanna buy one for a while. Its like anything else you gotta give em time to work the bugs out

My upper (Aero P) has that same FA. Consequently Aero has come out with a bolt carrier that has the serrations. I would think that PSA would be using that one or one similar...

I opted for a chrome plated traditional style BCG with a matched bolt from Rainier over a functional FA that I could care less about.

Edited by AdamO

I saw this posted on FB this morning. If you can see past the tube-type handguard, it's not too bad of an idea. I don't like that the Dolos system has no front sight.

I'd really be interested in seeing the measurements on the Dolos barrel nut, and seeing if another handguard could be modified/fabricated to work with it.

The new Gen3 LAW Tactical is a *MUST*

So I got around to installing my LPK last night.   It went OK-ish.  The trigger was a pleasant surprise.  The pull weight is what you would expect from a mil-spec trigger, but it had virtually no creep and a nice clean break.  I think it will be just fine for my intended application.  I might go with some JP springs to lighten it up just a bit if I do anything.

I wasn't impressed at all with the mag catch I was provided.  It doesn't look like it engages nearly enough and I have serious doubts that it will actually hold a magazine. 

20140910_205857_zpsjddmnigt.jpg

20140910_205445_zpszo9gj9ju.jpg

The other bitch I have is that even though Aero threads the hole for a set screw to contain the takedown pin spring and detent, they don't provide said set screw...   

The work around was easy enough.  Just sandwich the spring and pin with the pistol grip the same way its done for the safety selector so it's not a big deal, just more of a WTF? 

20140910_214344_zps4ea1se70.jpg

It sure is big compared to its little brother!!  (And yes that cheap piece of plastic will be getting replaced with a MOE+) HA :lol:

20140910_215711_zpsi3fe16np.jpg

Edited by AdamO

Adam in the picture I see the mag catch release button......you dont have enough threads into the button

theres your problem.....first take some painters tape and put it down where the mag catch wont scratch the lower as you tighten the mag catch....use a dowel or something to push the button way in the lower and turn the mag catch until it almost touches the lower.....the threads of the mag catch will almost be to the top of the button and the mag catch will then work for you :) Wash

Adam in the picture I see the mag catch release button......you dont have enough threads into the button

theres your problem.....first take some painters tape and put it down where the mag catch wont scratch the lower as you tighten the mag catch....use a dowel or something to push the button way in the lower and turn the mag catch until it almost touches the lower.....the threads of the mag catch will almost be to the top of the button and the mag catch will then work for you :) Wash

You don't understand...  The catch is fully seated.  I plunged that button as far as it would go into the hole with the end of a dowel and screwed in the catch.  Threading it any further and it just starts sucking the button down into the receiver frame making it a PITA to actuate the release.  Translation... the fucker is too short to thread properly, and the catch piece appears too shallow to allow a good solid engagement

On a related note,  I stumbled onto this and think I may have round my answer:

(See survivalshop's post #8 )

Edited by AdamO