• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Grade my proposed .308AR build. Comments/Critiques/Experiences welcome.

AdamO

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah i'm already looking at other ways to save weight.  I've been rethinking the whole adjustable cheek weld angle given the stock height relative to the upper... I don't have any problems looking through my red dot on my AR15 so I'm not sure why I had myself so convinced the adjustable cheek weld was such a must have.  Caught up in the hype...  stupid really..  So now I'm thinking of going with a CTR.  I have one on my AR15 and really like it.  That would save me nearly 6oz.  And if I go without a compensator/brake then there is another 3...

I really don't want to go shorter than 18" for velocity sake, and I want to stick with a full mass BCG, the upper and lower are what they are so that pretty much leaves the stock and handguard for areas to save weight and I'm not sure I can beat the MI or the APEX except maybe with a CF tube...

OTOH, I don't want to get it so light that it kicks the lineback tar out of me every time I pull the trigger. :D

As always, I'm up for ideas

Yeah i'm already looking at other ways to save weight.  I've been rethinking the whole adjustable cheek weld angle given the stock height relative to the upper... I don't have any problems looking through my red dot on my AR15 so I'm not sure why I had myself so convinced the adjustable cheek weld was such a must have.  Caught up in the hype...  stupid really..  So now I'm thinking of going with a CTR.  I have one on my AR15 and really like it.  That would save me nearly 6oz.  And if I go without a compensator/brake then there is another 3...

I really don't want to go shorter than 18" for velocity sake, and I want to stick with a full mass BCG, the upper and lower are what they are so that pretty much leaves the stock and handguard for areas to save weight and I'm not sure I can beat the MI or the APEX except maybe with a CF tube...

OTOH, I don't want to get it so light that it kicks the lineback tar out of me every time I pull the trigger. :D

As always, I'm up for ideas

16" barrel has plenty of velocity for 600yds. Reducing weight at the muzzle will feel like a larger weight loss than reducing it closer to you.

You'll probably want lower scope rings with the taller .308AR receiver. I know I do compared to my AR-15s.

If you want a super light stock, go with the MFT minimalist.

If you really want to cut all you can, you can also spend the $ for super lightweight parts from V7 Weapons Systems. I have a bunch of their parts and they're top notch.

Reducing kick will be a function of your gas port. Grab an SLR adjustable gas block so you can tune the gas down, thus letting you use a lighter buffer. I recommend going with an AR-10 pattern buffer system so you can try different buffers out cheaply.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so I wasn't going to go 16" but today's sale at Ranier was more than I could resist.  Just ordered a 16" select barrel on sale for $226.95 out the door.

949b3da533a0d7d0d38e6529209caa84.jpg

Edit:  Also picked up a matched bolt and carrier while I was at it.

296fac1546ee37953d1d5109d504d226.jpg

Edited by AdamO

LPK got put on order today...  Went ahead and choked on it for APs M5 specific kit to make sure I get all the right parts.  $91.xx after shipping WITH 15% labor day discount!.. :eek:

But, a 308 DPMS kit through Brownells is 49.99 plus whatever shipping, then you still have to go back and buy Aero's proprietary custom takedown and pivot pins for $8.00 ea. and still pay their $15.75 for shipping!   (Not to mention only the pivot pin is available at this time for individual purchase).  So fuuckit.  Did I overpay by double  for a basic LPK kit with a shitty mil-spec trigger?  Yes I did.. <dontknow>

(Somebody pass me the the lube cause my arsehole hurts..) <nutkick>

On the bright side, at least it puts me one step closer...

lpk2_3.jpg

Edited by AdamO

I think matte stainless barrels are effin sexy...

Thanks for the stamp of approval! :)

I'm getting pretty excited about this build. Parts are coming in right and left. Its taken a couple of detours already and I think it will take a couple more from my original plan before all is said and done but still staying focused on light weight and rugged.

I'm giving your suggestion about the Apex handguard some very serious consideration.

I've also abandonded the adjuatable cheek weld notion and am considering an Ace skeleton stock w/ rifle length extension. Keeps things pretty lightweight and simple and I just have a gut feeling the gun will operate better with the longer buffer assy.

Its either that or an STR on a carbine tube if I decide to stay with a collapsible.

[quote name="AdamO" post="116

I've also abandonded the adjuatable cheek weld notion and am considering an Ace skeleton stock w/ rifle length extension. Keeps things pretty lightweight and simple and I just have a gut feeling the gun will operate better with the longer buffer tube.

If you go with the rifle legnth ace skeleton stock you won't need an extension with the rifle length buffer system. I have one on my lr-308 and one on my ar-15. Personally I prefer the ace skeleton. It's lightweight and rugged.

Edited:

Ok, I'm tracking now. I wasn't at first and thought you meant I didn't need the A2 tube (I basically thought you were saying it was built in).  But your'e talking about that plastic spacer on the end that's used with a standard A2 stock.  

Good Stuff.  <thumbsup>

Edited by AdamO

Edited:

Ok, I'm tracking now. I wasn't at first and thought you meant I didn't need the A2 tube (I basically thought you were saying it was built in). But your'e talking about that plastic spacer on the end that's used with a standard A2 stock.

Good Stuff. <thumbsup>[/quote

Yes sorry if I was confusing.]

Well, this picture is beginning to take shape...

I received my Rainier Arms Select barrel and matched BCG in the mail today and got a chance to take some actual measurements with the ole postal scale.

Barrel was 38.1 (37 advertised) and the BCG came in at 18.9oz which is a little under the 20oz that I guesstimated in my projections.  So far I'm a little under weight and under budget paired against the original project.  Yay! :)

Here are the comparisions so far..:

Original Plan: Fulton 18.5" bbl, $349.95 / 38.4oz (advertised)

What I bought: Rainier Select 16" bbl, $226.69 (shipped) / 38.1oz (Measured)

(-$123.26 / -0.3oz)

Original Plan: Fulton BCG chrome, $299.95 / 20.5oz (estimated)

What I bought: Rainier BCG chrome, $304.95 (shipped) / 18.9oz (measured)

(+$5.00 / -1.6oz)

Original Plan: Charging Handle: FA Titan, $59.95, 1.3oz (est)

What I bought: TacOps 1: $51.00 (shipped), 2.2oz (measured)

(-$8.95 / +0.9oz)

That's it so far for the changes I've made and their measurements...  Sitting at $127.00 under the projected budget and 1oz under my projected weight.  

More to follow, the LPK arrives tomorrow.