• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Forged vs, Billet

D.R.D.

You know you started this whole thread in a completely different question, right?...

Alright, this topic has be hashed out before on AR15 threads, but not so much in the 308 world.  It's been said "Billet for accuracy, and forged for durability".  But we've seen lots of concepts shattered of late.  We now know reliability is more about springs and ejectors, than Di vs. piston, or how well lubed the gun is.  The barrel length argument is being challenged every day (that is, unless you are shooting a 32" from a flying horse - LOL!)  Etc

Here's the question: All things being equal, will it affect accuracy or functionality at all?

Dude, get info Fantasy Land somewhere else, and stop fucking with us.  Either that, OR STICK WITH YOUR FUCKING TOPIC!

Too Demanding?... <dontknow> :))

Hey DRD , check this poop, right here.

You asked an original question - which was actually several, fucked up questions, all lumped together.  Let me refresh you, back to #1` here:

Alright, this topic has be hashed out before on AR15 threads, but not so much in the 308 world.  It's been said "Billet for accuracy, and forged for durability".  But we've seen lots of concepts shattered of late.  We now know reliability is more about springs and ejectors, than Di vs. piston, or how well lubed the gun is.  Th

Alright, this topic has be hashed out before on AR15 threads, but not so much in the 308 world.  It's been said "Billet for accuracy, and forged for durability".  But we've seen lots of concepts shattered of late.  We now know reliability is more about springs and ejectors, than Di vs. piston, or how well lubed the gun is.  The barrel length argument is being challenged every day (that is, unless you are shooting a 32" from a flying horse - LOL!)  Etc

Here's the question: All things being equal, will it affect accuracy or functionality at all?

Given the following:

1. You've got a excellent barrel (LW, Fulton, Bartlein, etc)
  2. Great trigger (SSA-E, Wilson, AR Gold, etc)
  3. Tight build/assembly
  4. Good ammo (match or handloads for what your rifle likes best)

We are awaiting reports on the new PSA or Aero Precision Forged receiver sets to see how well they build, how tight they fit, etc.  I ask this since I've got some billet and forged receivers and would rather sell the billet if it makes no difference since I can get a whole forged set for the price of one billet lower.  I'd like to save money for the parts that matter (mentioned above).

What say y'all?

Please, in the interest of helping YOU, was your originaly question answered? 

If someone happened to miss that direct answer, and you were unaware that something similar to an answer might have popped up, then I'l be right here to fix that for you!  I'll not only review your original post to make sure that you INDEED had asked that question, but I'll BE SURE to jump on the poster hat neglected to answer your FUCKING QUESTION!.

My panties AREN'T in a bunch, you fucking idiot.  Your original question was answered,

Go fornicate yourself.

Hey DRD, just so you know... I'm the guy they HATE to keep here, just on the oft-occasion that I have to deal with some really STUPID MOTHERFUCKER asking to the dumbest questions in the fucking firearms world.

Doesn't happen often, and they don't let me out of my box often.  

However, YOU showed up tonight.  You happened to ask one of those questions.  

And here I am.

PIck your disposition.

Hey DRD, just so you know... I'm the guy they HATE to keep here, just on the oft-occasion that I have to deal with some really STUPID MOTHERFUCKER asking to the dumbest questions in the fucking firearms world.

Doesn't happen often, and they don't let me out of my box often.  

However, YOU showed up tonight.  You happened to ask one of those questions.  

And here I am.

PIck your disposition.

but what if I want to shoot 1200 yards with it, but it needs to be light enough and short enough for my 9 year old to hike 30 miles through the mountains with it and 500 rounds of ammo? Oh and it needs to be totally silent too. And I have a $400 budget including optics.

Bear in mind, when it comes to PSA, at least with their 308 uppers and lowers, even if you buy them as a set, it comes with a disclaimer that they're NOT a matched set.  They'll just be whatever upper and lower, and won't be hand matched or anything.  They will have the advantage of being from the same manufacturer, and the AR-15 lowers I've built stuff from have been good to go.

Now, I'm not sure how that will translate to 308, because, as everyone points out on here on a regular basis, 308 is NOT milspec like AR-15, and doesn't have standards to adhere too.  Hence why PSA can make a set with proprietary pins and buffer tube, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Bear in mind, when it comes to PSA, at least with their 308 uppers and lowers, even if you buy them as a set, it comes with a disclaimer that they're NOT a matched set.  They'll just be whatever upper and lower, and won't be hand matched or anything.  They will have the advantage of being from the same manufacturer, and the AR-15 lowers I've built stuff from have been good to go.

Now, I'm not sure how that will translate to 308, because, as everyone points out on here on a regular basis, 308 is NOT milspec like AR-15, and doesn't have standards to adhere too.  Hence why PSA can make a set with proprietary pins and buffer tube, etc.

Note to self - will not build from a PSA set, based in this info.  Will not. 

Note to self - will not build from a PSA set, based in this info. Will not.

Dear diary, on September 26th 2014 the unthinkable finally happened. Tom heard about a challenging set of AR problems and decided to avoid the issue altogether. We are all lost right now, our North Star has disappeared....

*insert tears on diary page here*

Back in early 2010, WAAAAAY back...  <lmao>

DNP knows he deal - I was dead set on building from an Iron Ridge billet set.  He and I were talking about it over and over.  I went to a gun show in Dulles Expo Center and came home with a DPMS 308 lower...

Just couldn't WAIT to built it!!!

Damn, am I glad I didn't go the the IRA set.  <thumbsup>