• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Advice wanted for new .308 reloader

j.peace

I am curretly shopping for reloading equipment. I've been getting advice from the local reloader. I already purchased an original rcbs rock chucker on eBay for 80.00. I figured it was a good place to start. I already have a rock tumbler that will get me by now. Advice needed on the rest of the equipment. I was thinking mainly rcbs. And a Lee crimp die. Any advice?

+1 on tumbiling with SS media.

(read thoroughly)

Lee pacesetter dieset works well, but I ended up shelving the Lee sizer & seater and started using the Hornady FL sizer and seater, and kept the Lee factory crimp die (best crimper out there).

Also consider the RCBS bullet puller (with matching collet) instead of the hammer-style pullers. Great for pulling down or correcting mistakes. Don't forget the Lyman case prep multi-tool to prep cases, scale, and a good caliper set. For trimming I use the Lee case length trimmer/cutter/gauge (pictured below)

case_trimmer_7mm08.gif

Edited by shibiwan

• 2 weeks later...

So here's the update on reloading. I picked up a used rock chucker for 50 bucks . a used tumbler for 10 bucks. Used rcbs uniflow powder measure for 50 bucks. The. Lee case trimmer. and I already have a good digital scale and calipers . I decided to reload .223 before I try .308 . so I loaded 20 trial rounds and only shot 10. They told me what I needed to know. I shot three strings of 10 rounds. With cleaning and cooldown before each string of 10 . PMC first then my reloads then PMC.post-14859-0-25459500-1413116138_thumb.jpost-14859-0-25459500-1413116138_thumb.j