• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

what all do i need to build an AR-10?

mead1985

I wouldn't recommend that to anyone. The upper is a slickside (no deflector, no ejection port cover, and some may add that there's no F/A) upper with the target profile rail - that makes is incompatible with almost every railed handguard out there. Not a good starting point.

Edited by shibiwan

Mine is that same slickside upper and the lack of a dust cover and shell deflector has not been a problem at all. The rail IS taller than any forearm on the market, but if all your going to run is optics that's really a non-issue too. As for the lack of a forward assist, those things are worthless IMO. I put a plug in my 300 BLK upper and will do the same with every build from now on. I'm not wasting any money on them any more, in the 30+ years I've been shooting these rifles a forward assist has NEVER solved any problem and has actually created a couple for me.

• 2 weeks later...

I have around $1055 into my build with the 80% lower jig...

I acquired my parts from Midway,JSE Surplus,DPMS,Quentin Defense & Alex Pro Firearms...

I watched Midway for clearance items for the LR-308 and DPMS has some of there parts on sale also for Gen 1 LR-308 rifles...

Took a few months to gather everything I needed but I saved myself a couple hundred bux...

APF assembled my upper for $25 when I bought the rail from them...