• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

what all do i need to build an AR-10?

mead1985

hi guys. i have never built a gun before and i would like to build my own AR-10. i own a couple ak's and small game rifles but i want something that will reach out and touch something. i would really appreciate any help i could get about all the parts i need. i have looked on the internet but i figured i could get alot more help from someone or alot of people on how to go about this and give suggestions on barrels and etc. thanks

If stay away from the PSA stuff till they figure it out, lots of growing pains.

What I'm asking of you in order to help is an honest budget. You can't expect us to know your limits, or price your parts with out an idea. Also, this is like boys Barbie, there is a metric shit ton of options on parts/styles, do you even know yourself what you want?

honestly i want a good dependable rifle that i could use for distance and short range. i have been told to stay away from anything less than an 18" barrel but is there really a big difference? i hope i am not sounding cheap but $1400 could be my budget. i seen a smith and wesson for $1450 and heard that i should stay away from them as well.

honestly i want a good dependable rifle that i could use for distance and short range. i have been told to stay away from anything less than an 18" barrel but is there really a big difference? i hope i am not sounding cheap but $1400 could be my budget. i seen a smith and wesson for $1450 and heard that i should stay away from them as well.

NEVER talk to that guy ever again. 

You buy whatever the fcuk you want, and build it to the spec's you desire. We'll be here to help make sure it goes bang.

Mead All of my 16 inchers shoot moa out to 500 yds.....these 308's get heavy real quick,the barrel is much of the weight cause its hanging out front....get a 16" by all means.... im partial to the Mega Ma10 upper/lower matched sets.....they come with most of the intricate detents installed too

:) Wash

My tastes are out of your price range. But as Robocop said, who ever told you not to go under 18" is an idiot talking out his ass. 16"= 6-800 if you can do your part.

My suggestion, spend money on a great trigger and barrel. Get a matched upper and lower set of receivers (same brand, at least, matched is better) everything else is up to you.

There are plenty of build threads here for you to look through as well as complete rifles for ideas.

I don't have time to build you a rifle though. If your going to build, you do the leg work.

define distance.

I swear when I read his post before yours, this is exactly what I was gonna say...  <lmao>

Basically I am asking for someone to build one for me.

Are you asking if someone here will assemble what you buy?  Or, are you asking for what parts to buy, you'll get whatever is suggested, and assemble it yourself?

Those are two very different things - and probably nobody here is gonna put a rifle together for you.  Handle that, muscle up, and assemble that thing.  In a nutshell - pending your response...

$1400 is going to disappear real fast. Do you plan on mounting a scope as well with that budget? or is that a future purchase?  If you really shop around and keep it simple you should be able to stay close to that budget, But if you are gonna try to pull it off within 1400 get the hell away from these guys ASAP! They will talk you into refinancing your house to get that trigger set or bi-pod you only dreamed of.....     Seriously though you have stumbled across a wealth of knowledge here. Good luck with your first build.

i am not asking for anyone to build the rifle for me. i am asking about parts. i dont know every part that i need to assemble one. i will build it but i don't know every last piece i need and i really appreciate the list NinjaJimmy. i got some money that i can play with if it goes over some. i won't lie, i totally forgot about the scope but that could be a future purchase.

Did he just say Cheaper Than Dirt?...............................................Here it comes! <lmao>

^^^^^^ we say that because they are a place that most of us will not support. Post sandy hook they immediately increased their price of pmags to $99 a piece, as well as many other products. Unacceptable.

Now, thank you for clarifying. You will need:

Receiver sets

Buffer tube (or properly known as receiver extension)

Buffer/spring

Barrel

Gas tube

Muzzle device

Bolt carrier group

Hand guard

Stock

Lower parts kit

Grip

Trigger

Sights (unless optics only)

Possibly an upper parts kit (depends on what receiver you buy)

Magazines

If I missed something others will be along. I like using Rainier Arms for parts reference

Now, thank you for clarifying. You will need:

Receiver sets

Buffer tube (or properly known as receiver extension)

Buffer/spring

Barrel

Gas tube

Muzzle device

Bolt carrier group

Hand guard

Stock

Lower parts kit

Grip

Trigger

Sights (unless optics only)

Possibly an upper parts kit (depends on what receiver you buy)

Magazines

If I missed something others will be along. I like using Rainier Arms for parts reference

-End plate and castle nut (if adjustable stock desired).

-Gas block

-Gas tube roll pin (if not included with either gas block or gas tube, this is a toss up).

-Crush or peel washers for muzzle device timing.

Armalite DEF-10. $999. Buy it and then accessorize it however you want using the $400 leftover from your budget. 

http://www.armalite.com/ItemForm.aspx?item=DEF10&ReturnUrl=Categories.aspx?Category=c4bf2a5c-d77d-4f58-8022-95f6afe8e6cf

>:D

I don't see how you can beat this thing for the money.  Not to mention as edge mentioned you've got Armalite standing behind it if there are any problems with it. 

^^^^ These are great entries into the 7.62 AR world. I may be labeled as the Armalite pusher (which I proudly stand by), but these are screaming deals by any standard. You can take these and customize them in any way that you like.

And these are the "A" pattern, so you can use the popular Pmags.