• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

My first reloading setup

ninjajimmy

After some thought, and with how expensive match 308 ammo is i've decided to give reloading a shot. I plan to mostly reload for the bolt gun, but after some testing with the SR, plan to do that as well.

I've don'e research and have received most of what I ordered.

RCBS Rock Chucker
RCBS Case Lube kit
Redding Deluxe Die Set .308
RCBS Shell Holder
Sinclair Ultimate Case Trimmer (only thing i'm waiting to arrive)

RCBS Chargemaster 1500

RCBS 505 scale
Flash hole Deburring Tool
Flash hole reamer
Primer Pocket Reamer
Primer Pocket Cleaner
Case Chamfer and Deburring tool
Large Rifle Primer Pocket Uniformer
Neck brush
Frankford Arsenal Case Tumbler/Separator

RCBS Stuck case remover

RCBS Hand primer
Powder Trickler 2
Funnel
Wilson Case Length Headspace gauge

Also ordered a pair of calipers as well as the Sierra and Hornady Reloading Manuals. I grabbed some Varget and Federal 210M primers. Plus, I've already scored 400 Hornady 178gr A-max bullets.

I also scored a Chrono to have even more data when testing loads.

Wasn't sure what I was going to do for a bench, but I found a gem at Harbor Freight. It's about 100lbs empty and looks like it will be perfect for a first bench! Rock solid with no movement! The press is going to mount on the right side where the vise is. I've seen others make a wood adaptor so the press is removable and out of the way.

8362C4A2-1E68-4621-B728-93601E1B26AB_zps

4B41F572-9209-4E83-AAF7-FA8E54DC3C50_zps

AAF87543-80B1-4188-8700-93269C639B40_zps

Got my press in and started playing around with full length resizing/depriming as well as bullet seating. Marked the OAL of these on the case. 

The cases are not trimmed (still waiting on my trimmer). Just cleaned, deprimed, resized, and bullet seated. 

I found some of the cases were getting small dimples when resizing so I'm experimenting with how much lube. Going for a less is more thing. 

Also plan to try a few different OAL. Something close to what I have now, the guide sugested OAL, and slightly longer than the guide specified 2.810"

Now just waiting on my case trimmer from Sinclair. Unfortunately, the case trimmer is on backorder so i'm not sure when i'll get the full process started.

Here is where i'm at right now. It's all coming together.

D15CEC93-2A67-4F2A-B599-EC9FEFFC6B46_zps

44E28EB6-AAA1-41F2-A9DE-631C254CCDEF_zps

82A386A1-C9AB-48B3-B0B3-71EEF6B83AB0_zps

You are off to a great start. I would have recommended the Dillon BL550 or any other good progressive loader, but that horse is out of the barn.

The dimples on the cases come from too much lube on the shoulders, as you've found out. I started out with the RCBS case lube kit, but have switched to the Dillon spray on lube. It's the bees' knees. Put your cases on a cookie sheet, spray a couple squirts on them, roll them around the tray, put them in the sun and let them dry (about 10 minutes). No more dimples.

You got the case gauge. Use it. Often. If you need more .308 cases I've found the current batch of USGI 1X fired cases from Widener's to be top notch. All LC12 and in great shape. Cancel the Sinclair trimmer. For trimmers the Little Crow WFT works great. You get a square trim every time and it is fast, fast, fast. Giraud makes a similar one that deburs and chamfers simultaneously for a bit more but I've no experience with that item.

Good luck, and be safe.

I started out with the RCBS case lube kit, but have switched to the Dillon spray on lube. It's the bees' knees. Put your cases on a cookie sheet, spray a couple squirts on them, roll them around the tray, put them in the sun and let them dry (about 10 minutes). No more dimples.

+1 on that! The spray lube is a MUCH better way to go.

That way the primer pockets get cleaned some when tumbling.

Got through some last night. Tumbled, deprimed, resized, primer pocket cleaned/reamed, flash hole reamed, case trimmed, and primer seated.

Tomorrow ill do powder and bullet on some to bring to the range and test.

Unless you're running steel pins and wet tumbling, a regular vibrator with corn cob or walnut media isn't going to clean the primer pockets.

Unless you're running steel pins and wet tumbling, a regular vibrator with corn cob or walnut media isn't going to clean the primer pockets.

I'm using a walnut media bought at the feed store as "animal bedding".  With a little more polishing compound and a few less cases in the tumbler (allowing them to really cycle fast), my primer pockets have been getting cleaned.

JImmy, those bad boys ^^^  need a chamfer to 'em.

Also, in this one...

AAF87543-80B1-4188-8700-93269C639B40_zps

Get a light taper crimp on those things if they're going to run through the Big AR.  Bullet setback will ruin your day, man.

The cases I shown were chamfered and debarred already. Hard to pick up on the eye phone. 

Well I hit them again with the tool and the chamfer is better now. 

4655DBEE-EE19-43EB-97DD-20C8EEADE85F_zps

As to the crimp, I need to play around with the bullet seating. Even a slight taper crimp, you won't notice it by just looking at the round from what i've read. There is no cannelure on the bullets i'm using. A slight taper crimp should be all I need if the bullet isn't tight enough without one.

Edited by ninjajimmy

With a good inner and outer chamfer, you can see a light taper crimp - it shows up, man.  Cannelure doesn't matter.  I'll try to dig up some pics of cannelure and non-cannelure projos in my 300BLK loads, crimped.  I've got them somewhere.

Or even the RCBS Full Length Die Set - you can taper crimp with those, as another function after the seating process. 

The RCBS AR Series dies have the crimp function built straight into the seating die - once the ram fully seats the projo, it crimps it right then.  One and done.

Edited by 98Z5V

You really get to monitor the accuracy of each one, on that progressive - don't ya?  They're ALL match rounds, ain't they?...  :banana:

You Betcha! <thumbsup>

Actually, I've read a couple of articles in the past few years that said progressive loaded rounds and individual loaded rounds have been found to have very little difference in accuracy. They stated that the consistency of a good progressive machine is quite good.