• Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Choosing BCG

Bang4Buck

I want to runa DPMS pattern BCG. Questions:

1 - does the LMT BCG follow DPMS pattern? I can't find this anywhere I look

2 - anyone use the aero precision BCG? Price is good but I am concerned about quality.

3 - does JP BCG follow DPMS (looks like it from their site) and which of their BCG would you recommend?

This is my first 308 build and since I know the barrel I will use, BCG is the last critical choice I have to make,

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well then the AP looks to be the best deal, provided it is solid. And the JP is awfully pricey. They are approaching sr-25 BCG prices. The low mass concerned me that it would not have the reliability and longevity.

I am picky on this only because I have learned the barrel and BCG are really the heart of the rifle. I won't touch a DPMS manufactured BCG. They have a long history of QC problems based on what I have read.

I am using a DPMS BCG in my build and it's been flawless.

I just noticed yesterday that my firing pin retaining pin is loose and if I remove the BCG from the upper the pin slides right out and allows the firing pin to be removed. It still works, but for piece of mind i'm going to pick up a spare pin or two.

I just noticed yesterday that my firing pin retaining pin is loose and if I remove the BCG from the upper the pin slides right out and allows the firing pin to be removed. It still works, but for piece of mind i'm going to pick up a spare pin or two.

That...

and this recent example:

Plus what I've read in other threads about DPMS 5.56 issues out the yin-yang.

I'm new at this 308 thing but the 5.56 guys seems to avoid DPMS like the plague.  Improper staking and many other issues on their 5.56s just have me scared of that brand.  Why would they allow so many QC issues to go on for so long and allow the DPMS name to be on the product?  Just concernes me.

There's not a problem on any of my 308's using a DPMS bcg...as for the firing pin retainer falling out...thats not a problem at all....take a very small screwdriver and widen the split on the pin...or just watch what you are doing when you take it out to clean the bcg...that is not a dealbreaker

A very high percentage of ar308's use the DPMS bcg's

If I remember correctly in your other posts you wanted an Armalite barrel/bcg for your Mega?

what changed your mind on that?

:) Wash

Edited by washguy

There's not a problem on any of my 308's using a DPMS bcg...as for the firing pin retainer falling out...thats not a problem at all....take a very small screwdriver and widen the split on the pin...or just watch what you are doing when you take it out to clean the bcg...that is not a dealbreaker

A very high percentage of ar308's use the DPMS bcg's

If I remember correctly in your other posts you wanted an Armalite barrel/bcg for your Mega?

what changed your mind on that?

:) Wash

I am leaning towards a DPMS barrel config because it seems I will have more choices when it comes to BCG, such as the Aero Precision and JP offerings.

I'm a little disappointed in LMT.  I actually called them yesterday morning when they opened and asked one of their tech people if the LMT 308 BCG followed DPMS or Armalite.  He said he thought it was more of a SR-25 type BCG, but that he would check and get back to me.  I haven't heard anything back.  I'd actually pay up to go with the LMT BCG but I need a firm answer before I can order the barrel.

Over on ARFcom the Knight's guys said they tested other companies' bolts in the SR-25, thus the barrel extension is LR308 type. We also know for sure that the MWS BCG is compatible with the SR-25 BCG. There are plenty of examples of people using LR308 bolts with their MWS. That tells me that they're LR308 compatible. Just be sure to check the headspace.

Also, Fulton Armory is another good BCG. Pretty sure Bubbasks has one.

Edited by FaRKle!

Over on ARFcom the Knight's guys said they tested other companies' bolts in the SR-25, thus the barrel extension is LR308 type. We also know for sure that the MWS BCG is compatible with the SR-25 BCG. There are plenty of examples of people using LR308 bolts with their MWS. That tells me that they're LR308 compatible. Just be sure to check the headspace.

Also, Fulton Armory is another good BCG. Pretty sure Bubbasks has one.

Well that is good to know that if I order the barrel as DPMS config I have LMT as a a choice.  I'm sure they make an excellent BCG.

I thought I read somewhere that the Fulton 308 BCG was the DPMS BCG but they were just using Fulton's name?

Well that is good to know that if I order the barrel as DPMS config I have LMT as a a choice.  I'm sure they make an excellent BCG.

I thought I read somewhere that the Fulton 308 BCG was the DPMS BCG but they were just using Fulton's name?

I made the comment below VVV,  before you made that comment above ^^^...  

Clint McKee would probably disagree with you on that.  I'm just sayin'.

You should research the person I mentioned, and carry that info forward. 

• 2 weeks later...

I wound up ordering the aero precision BCG. I have not been able to find a single negative review on their stuff. It should be here Monday and I will send it off to rainier arms for free headspacing with the match barrel I am buying. Hope to have everything done and

It together in the next couple weeks.

If its made by DPMS it will have a " D " on the Bolt Carrier some where , at least I think its a " D " , both of my DPMS BCG do & one is from Fulton Armory . That looks NIB coated , mine are older Chrome BC & Parkerized or Phosphate bolts .

I'm still at Hunt camp & can't check my safe from 950 miles away or I would post a photo.

If the carrier key material is pushed up against the side of the screw (and not just barely at one small point) it should be OK. It doesn't have to be folded over the top of the screw to be adequately staked. It's difficult to tell from your pic if it's really pushed up against the screw or not.

Edited by FaRKle!

• 2 weeks later...

Is that the AP carrier you ordered?

The staking looks similar to the FA on the previous page but it does look a done little "weak" or limp wristed - might just be the angle of the photo though. Its hard to tell if the hole has been deformed against the screw heads - if so then it should be good enough. Glad you posted this as I am about to order one of theirs too. Got any other pics? how does the machining look? bolt face? serrations?

I would compare it to other brand photos first before questioning them about it. 

Yes it is AP carrier.  I sent them a pic and they had their guy look at it and he said he thinks it is staked correctly.  I would have liked a bit more material pressing against the screwheads.  Maybe I'm being too picky, but this was not a cheap build and I'm paying attention to detail.

Everything else on it looks great.  The bolt was sent of to Rainier Arms who will headspace for free with my barrel purchase.  I should have everything back and put together in the next week or two.  I will post a thread will lots of pics and all the final details.