• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Choosing BCG

Bang4Buck

OK so I ended up buying a second BCG from Fulton armory for a future build.  You can see from my earlier post the original one I got has the traditional cotter pin in it.  The new BCG I got has a completely different pin in it.  The best way to describe it is it has a flat button like face and sits deep inside the carrier.

Never seen that style pin before.  What's the pros/cons of it?

The flat head pin with the slit at the end , is what comes in most 308 BCG 's . Its the original pin design, I believe. I'm not sure when the M16 Family of Firing pin retaining pin changed , something to look up or some brainiac here may know already .

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The flat head pin with the slit at the end , is what comes in most 308 BCG 's . Its the original pin design, I believe. I'm not sure when the M16 Family of Firing pin retaining pin changed , something to look up or some brainiac here may know already .

Tom? FaRkle?

Yes, the original firing pin retaining pin had a flat head and looked more like a golf tee. It was changed to the cotter pin as part of cost reduction (IIRC same time they went from full chromed carriers to just the inside).

• 1 month later...

I just got both of my Aero Ni-Bor complete BCG and I really don't have much to compare to but... From what I do have, pictures and first hand use/handling of 556 Ni-Bor groups, the finish is weird. It doesn't feel OR look quite as nice as the groups we see pictured (earlier in this post) or ones I've handled.

Not sure if it's just a different type of application of the coating or maybe not as much finishing work done to the parts on Aero's part.

I'm going to upload pics in a minute and you guys take a look and let me know what you guys think. I'm not dogging the product or mfg, it's just not what I expected from even their images, when I opened the box.

IMG_20150115_131038sm.jpg

IMG_20150115_1303112sm.jpg

IMG_20150115_131318sm.jpg

Edited by mrrogers1

Yea just going by looks alone, the finish from Fulton Armory seems better. As far as Aero's finishes go, I have one of their AR15 receivers in FDE. The coating EASILY comes off. Probably one of the least durable coating on a receiver I've had to date.

I have quite a bit of Aero hardware, started back when they were smaller and the old logo existed (I still like the old one) but sadly, what I got looks nothing like what they advertise...

http://aeroprecisionusa.com/aspx/store/productdetail.aspx?pid=340

I don't want to be a mitch about it either, maybe it'll function just fine and it "is" slicker than phosphate but I'm kind of scatching my head here.

Edited by mrrogers1

I like Aero products, but I gotta admit that doesn't look so great. Have you contacted them about it?

Nope, I wanted to post and get just a little feedback before doing that. I only have their advertised picture, other vendors pictures to go by. Calling and being like "hey, this doesn't look like the picture" probably wouldn't get me too far.

They just started selling these, I pre-ordered and I know there aren't many out in the wild yet... Maybe a got TWO lemon's that dodged QC. :)

I seriously thought about buying one back when they had the pre-order available.  I said to myself that the first batch is probably going to have some "kinks" in it so let a couple rounds of batches go through and see some reviews online before considering.  Sucks that you got a product you are not 100% satisfied with.  Wouldn't hurt to give them a call.  I know Aero's customer service is top notch.  You never know what they will say if you don't call them.

Yes, after they are fired a few hundred rounds. I cannot get the dark gray stain off the NiB BCG. Works great, just doesn't clean up.

all the ones ive seen or used are golden in color and they dont turn gray...and they are slicker than a cat's azz

:) Wash ooops I was wrong on color...not golden....a bronze/gray color

Edited by washguy

I'm used to what LWRCi uses which is, indeed, slicker than snot! It's crazy how smooth it is and this is not like that. I may post in a vendor thread they have going once I figure out if everyone's looks like this.

I probably wouldn't have ordered if it looked like this in the add, because all the other NiBor offerings do look smooth, bright and very friction resistant.

Yup...same experience here with the BCG on the PPPE (Pink Purple People Eater).

Looks very close to a tarnished silver color.

So yours looks like the brand new ones I posted a pic of OR are you saying you had shiny new like other vendors (posted earlier this thread or like the Aero ad) and it turned that way after a few hundred rounds?

Those pics don't look like any NiB that I've ever seen - looks more like the Nitride finish SAA uses on this model:

http://www.surplusammo.com/saa-m16-complete-nitride-bolt-carrier-group-223-5-56/

Incidentally I'm pretty certain that Aero makes the house brand uppers and lowers for SAA and may also make this BCG.

Those pics don't look like any NiB that I've ever seen - looks more like the Nitride finish SAA uses on this model:

http://www.surplusammo.com/saa-m16-complete-nitride-bolt-carrier-group-223-5-56/

Incidentally I'm pretty certain that Aero makes the house brand uppers and lowers for SAA and may also make this BCG.

It's definitely brighter than that, more silver/Chrome than black BUT it does not look like any NiBor I'd seen either, hence the posting. Just making sure I'm not going crazy over here... :)