• Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Choosing BCG

Bang4Buck

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So yours looks like the brand new ones I posted a pic of OR are you saying you had shiny new like other vendors (posted earlier this thread or like the Aero ad) and it turned that way after a few hundred rounds?

The latter, which is why MM was quoted in my original post.

Yes, after they are fired a few hundred rounds. I cannot get the dark gray stain off the NiB BCG. Works great, just doesn't clean up.

UPDATE: So I have been assured, by a bird (well, not really a bird but an official "bird" from Aero), that the finish is not only normal but if you take a look here >>>>> goo.gl/qWx72h you may recognize the coating. Needless to say, I'm good (hell, I'm happy) with this but did ask that they consider updating their product page image cause "it ain't right". 

• 3 weeks later...

Glad I found this topic, the BCG I was going to buy went out of stock, now I'm looking at the aero or Fulton.

Aero's are back in stock as of today. Correct product image and all. Great part, stand up company, can't beat that. (I also decided to go the Enhanced route and got a upper + rail combo on sale a couple weeks ago. Now to see my untouched standard upper...)

Well I have three BCG's from three different companies , one being a DPMS BCG & none of them have those longitudinal groves cut into the Bolt Carrier as the one in their photo, but hay, anything is possible  <dontknow> Might be how they distinguish their's from others .

Good prices & I like how can mix the finishes up .

Edited by survivalshop

You guys with NiB parts need to invest in FireClean. It was designed specifically for NiB. It cleans and lubricates.

The color and finish of a NiB coating is a direct result of the condition of the metal before the treatment. If the metal was polished and shiny, then the NiB will be also. If the metal was dark and matte, the NiB will reflect that.

I have several different NiB parts, made from 2011 till now, from 5.56 to .308. It's very easy to distinguish the level of quality between mfgs.

You guys with NiB parts need to invest in FireClean. It was designed specifically for NiB. It cleans and lubricates.

The color and finish of a NiB coating is a direct result of the condition of the metal before the treatment. If the metal was polished and shiny, then the NiB will be also. If the metal was dark and matte, the NiB will reflect that.

I'll attest to that. my NiB BCG was a bit stained before I tried the Fireclean. It didn't remove any of the coloration. Use the Fireclean first.

• 2 weeks later...

Supposedly, these guys supply several "top name" manufactures with their BCGs, who in turn, sell the same thing, with their own logo, for a lot more, or incorporate them into their builds.  I cannot confirm this, just ear to the ground.

http://www.dwilsonmfg.com/store/p18/AR10_Bolt_carrier_Group.html

Hopefully I'm not stepping on any toes by posting here. But I own d.wilson mfg. Let me know if you have any questions.

Obviously to protect the retailers I sell to, I wouldn't disclose who they are, but would be happy to answer anything else.

Hopefully I'm not stepping on any toes by posting here. But I own d.wilson mfg. Let me know if you have any questions.

Obviously to protect the retailers I sell to, I wouldn't disclose who they are, but would be happy to answer anything else.

Welcome! You're definitely not stepping on any toes by joining us here and thanks for the opportunity to ask you more questions about your products. It certainly builds customer confidence and trust.

We're glad to have you with us, welcome to the forums!

OK, I've got some questions now lol.

What made you decide to make your AR-15 and .308AR bolts out of 9310?

How are your bolts tested (what tests do they go through, and are they all individually tested or batch tested)?

Thanks!

Edited by FaRKle!

OK, I've got some questions now lol.

What made you decide to make your AR-15 and .308AR bolts out of 9310?

How are your bolts tested (what tests do they go through, and are they all individually tested or batch tested)?

Thanks!

The mechanical properties of 9310 are quite comparable if not slightly better than C158 and generally speaking, make a stronger, tougher bolt when heat treated properly. It's slightly easier to source as well. If I was Continental Machine and Tool (CMT) and made tens of thousands (purely just a guess) bolts a month, I might have economies of scale more in my favor. I make 2-3,000 bolts a month, so I stick to 9310. Simple as that. 

As for testing, there are a couple schools of thought. The origins of MPI/HPT testing bolts as I understand it, mostly comes from how most manufacturers make their bolts. To make the stops that prevent the cam pin from dragging on the inside of the carrier (and also preventing the cam pin from being inserted the wrong way) most manufacturers stamp the bolt in a large press to create the stops. This creates lots of concentrated stresses in the cam pin area of the bolt, which would make them an excellent candidate for MPI/HPT testing to detect and surface imperfections. 

I take a slightly different approach in machining bolts. I machine the stops into the bolt and don't press them in so I'm not inducing unnecessary stresses into the bolt by stamping it. The bolt then gets shot peened to mitigate any surface stresses, heat treated, then coated/plated. Some may argue that this creates a bolt that they see as inferior. I tend to disagree. In the past year and a half, since I've been keeping better warranty records, I've had approximately 3 bolts break, so out of roughly ~30k bolts, I'd say that's pretty good odds. 

You may not realize this, but you just launched yourself into Legendary Status. 

Such a simple reply, matter-of-fact, and to the point. 

I hope you were watching this site beforehand, and didn't comment here only because you saw something pop up in a search on your company name.  If that happened, then it is what it is - but it's good to have you here.  Please don't comment and leave, never to be seen again.  Once you get here, you're stuck here...  <lmao>

^^^ Yes sir !

I'm in the market for a NiB 6.8spc BCG, I didn't see them listed on your website and was wondering if you make them or could recommend one?

So one question I have is why is there so few selling spares parts for .308 bolts?      I know I cant be the only guy around who would like to have a few extra ejectors, extractors, springs, gas rings, and pins on top of a complete spare bolt or two.   I know there is some hush hush about who is making what for whom, you could get around that by simply saying our parts will work with such and such companies products I would think.     I am a parts junky,    I want to have on hand several of anything my rifles might consume over the entire life of the gun ( I know thats weird, but hey I want to buy your stuff too)    I have probably a grand in AR spares, 4 divider boxes full of itty bits, but I also have 20 AR's,  Just finished my second .308 AR and am gathering parts for my third and am kind of the local buddy build station.   I actually have needed at some point or another most of what I have on hand.

Anyway I think if you started offering bolts and bolt parts you could become the .308 BCG epicenter because pretty much random DPMS parts from Brownells is all there is currently and there is zero info out there about what will and wont work with others.   

Edited by ironmonster

Such a simple reply, matter-of-fact, and to the point. 

I hope you were watching this site beforehand, and didn't comment here only because you saw something pop up in a search on your company name.  If that happened, then it is what it is - but it's good to have you here.  Please don't comment and leave, never to be seen again.  Once you get here, you're stuck here...  <lmao>

Sadly, I can't say that I was on the forum before the comment. I have pretty strong analytic coding built into my website, so I can see where it is link from, demographics of who visits, etc, so I decided to hang out and answer any questions.

^^^ Yes sir !

I'm in the market for a NiB 6.8spc BCG, I didn't see them listed on your website and was wondering if you make them or could recommend one?

I've been considering branching out into what I call off-caliber bolts lately as there's been a handful of people that have contacted me about them. It's really not that big of a deal to machine bolts with a larger face, it's more justifying making 1,000 bolts that I'm going to have to sit on for an unknown period until they all sell. 

So one question I have is why is there so few selling spares parts for .308 bolts?      I know I cant be the only guy around who would like to have a few extra ejectors, extractors, springs, gas rings, and pins on top of a complete spare bolt or two.   I know there is some hush hush about who is making what for whom, you could get around that by simply saying our parts will work with such and such companies products I would think.     I am a parts junky,    I want to have on hand several of anything my rifles might consume over the entire life of the gun ( I know thats weird, but hey I want to buy your stuff too)    I have probably a grand in AR spares, 4 divider boxes full of itty bits, but I also have 20 AR's,  Just finished my second .308 AR and am gathering parts for my third and am kind of the local buddy build station.   I actually have needed at some point or another most of what I have on hand.

Anyway I think if you started offering bolts and bolt parts you could become the .308 BCG epicenter because pretty much random DPMS parts from Brownells is all there is currently and there is zero info out there about what will and wont work with others.   

20 ARs, that's impressive.

My take on the few spare parts on the market is combination of there are few people making them and compatibility issues. There seems to be a plethora of companies that spring that are making (or so they claim) their own proprietary carrier/receiver set/whatever so that is really muddying the waters of what combination of parts will work together.

If the interest is there, I can put some rebuild kits up on the website.