• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Shepherd scopes

They didn't issue me the rule book when I joined.  Please enlighten me.

You don't get issued the rule book.  This isn't Basic, and nobody will spoon-feed you. 

You familiarize yourself to the terrain in which you are currently deployed, and conduct your operations according to METT-T.

Just a heads up.  Research first, before you ask questions.  Otherwise...   well, you'll learn.

thats nutz.....but they are still available almost everywhere.....wonder why though?

:) Wash

Perhaps because it's crap compared to other Nikons. Build quality etc was good, but for some odd reason I found that I was battling the "black hole"/fringing effect with that scope. I didn't like the one I bought and thankfully I could still return it to Cabelas.

Then again it could be a one-off problem, but if that's the case, it doesn't speak well about the QC on that scope.

Edited by shibiwan

We heard that not long ago, too, but I thought this was proven wrong.

I'm pretty sure Nikon is still making the M-308 scopes.

Here....

http://www.opticsplanet.com/nikon-m-308-4-16x42-rifle-scope.html

I'm wondering if they're working on a 30mm replacement since their new 300 BLK supersub scope has a 30mm tube, it could be that they are revamping their line.

Edited by shibiwan

I know they changed some part numbers, so maybe people are searching, seeing an old part number on some website, and some vendor is saying "Discontinued."  Because it's the old part number.

The M-308 is alive and well.  Hit Nikon's website, guys.  There are two versions of the M-308 on there, right now, on their own website.

Clicky for proof:

http://www.nikonsportoptics.com/en/Nikon-Products/Scopes/AR-MSR/index.page

I know they changed some part numbers, so maybe people are searching, seeing an old part number on some website, and some vendor is saying "Discontinued."  Because it's the old part number.

The M-308 is alive and well.  Hit Nikon's website, guys.  There are two versions of the M-308 on there, right now, on their own website.

Clicky for proof:

http://www.nikonsportoptics.com/en/Nikon-Products/Scopes/AR-MSR/index.page

It appears that you are correct.  Some vendors are saying that it is discontinued while others have them for sale.  Good catch.

• 4 weeks later...

Brother I've been hopping like a 3 legged cat on a hot tin roof. Brown matter has hit the fan at work, after knee surgery trying to get back into shape / running. I started on finishing up my Bachelor's degree in C.J. and bought a new 2014 Street Glide Peace Officer Special Edition. After converting my AR-10 Super SASS to a battle rifle, I am selling the parts and have converted it back to its original form. It felt like putting mudders on a Ferrari.I am about to drop coin on a Leupold Mk 4 with Illum Mil-Dot and M-1 Turrents. 

To the Op about Shepard Scopes, I will say buy once cry once. Spend the money for the name brand scopes, Leupold, Night Force, Trijicon, SWFA, as examples. If you want to spend 2-4 grand then look into Premiere , Schmidt & Bender Ziess makes a nice precision rifle scope as well. Look into Vortex PST Models, Burris make some decent glass. On a scope you want it to hold zero, be able to pass a box test and return to zero as well as reset it. Unless your running a bullet weight / load combo that matches the BDC on some of these scopes, its a waste of money.  Also stay away from anything with a catchy name like Counter Sniper that says they are government over runs. 

Glad the knee worked out.My money's getting a little better.Was gonna get the "Busnell Elite" with the horuos reticle till brother Bubba has problems with there CS.Not a fan of mil-dot reticle.I use math everyday at work "horous reticle" seems to simplify things.I see more of the other big brands using it so I'll save up for that.Just my 2 mags.Happy that you'r doing well otherwise.

Edited by unforgiven

• 4 months later...

Oh man. Maybe we need a grace period to the rule...the new guys always get caught. Give them a chance to become familiar with the place?

What if the link that activates your account took you straight to a post which described the rule?