• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Palmetto ptac 308

Bob

How hard can it be for a Company to copy one pattern ( 308AR )or the other & if there is Quality control problems , why wasn't that found in testing . I'm not just talking about this Firearms maker . My question is why would you make your firearm ( 308 AR's ) Proprietary , unless you think your product is so much better then everyone else's & they will buy yours parts & yours only. That isn't reality . 

Sorry for the delayed response went to the range today it ran well no ftfs or fte shot well at 30yrds7 with touching holes and at fifty as well but at 1007 yrds it opend up i really think my cheap scope craped out but we will see thanks for all the input

• 3 weeks later...

And not only that, but there's fitment issues with the lowers and aftermarket triggers.  That was what made me send mine back.  I don't want to be grinding on an expensive trigger to make it fit because they screwed up the placement for the takedown and pivot pins.  They said that it will be fixed in a rendition that has "cal multi" but had no ETA, and in the meantime, have continued selling the defective lowers.  That really soured me on PSA, although I like their AR-15 parts just fine.  Just more proof that there's no set standard or milspec for 308 AR's like there is for the AR-15.

• 5 weeks later...

And not only that, but there's fitment issues with the lowers and aftermarket triggers.  That was what made me send mine back.  I don't want to be grinding on an expensive trigger to make it fit because they screwed up the placement for the takedown and pivot pins.  They said that it will be fixed in a rendition that has "cal multi" but had no ETA, and in the meantime, have continued selling the defective lowers.  That really soured me on PSA, although I like their AR-15 parts just fine.  Just more proof that there's no set standard or milspec for 308 AR's like there is for the AR-15.

Better clean your shoes, because they prevaricated all over your foot. I have TAC-10 lower, marked "multi".  Center-to-center spacing between the pivot pin hole and the takedown pin hole is 0.020" longer than a standard DPMS part (I used Ares Armor and Quentin Defense parts for comparison.

To make someone else's upper fit, one could do the same thing they did on their PA10 upper  - oblong the takedown pin hole in the upper (theirs is .280" hight x .304 wide), but then one would still have a .050" gap between the back of the upper and the buffer tube ring on the lower. I chose to buy their upper and their LPK.

Why their internals? Because (1) their pivot pin boss is wider than DPMS - theirs needs a longer pin; (2) complaints (verified with parts from a CMMG LPK) that the width of their bolt catch slot is unique. 

Also, if you want to use a forward assist, plan on using their bolt carrier which has M16 style serrations all the way back, because their assist isn't built into the case deflector like most. I'm just going to pin a Delrin plug into it.

Now I'm just waiting for the next anvil to drop, when my barrel comes in. Will I also need to get PSA's bolt carrier to fit their longer receiver? Will a bolt that headspaces with my DPMS barrel fit PSA's BC?

Oh, and their trigger/sear parts are going to need some serious work to get a decent, non-creapy release.

I would NOT recommend starting an x51 (as in 7.62x51, but including .243Win, 7-08, .308Win & .358Win) build from a PSA platform. If you like their stuff, buy the whole rifle [and plan on buying all your spares from them.]

PSA........ I have to say so far I'm pretty happy with them. Yes they do run some different dimensions but the pa10 that I ordered  for my shop and later was bought by my employee has shown decent value and construction  The biggest issue so far was the lube they had on the thing was very thick and the gun was new and pretty tight, however we cleaned it out and applied a little clp...problem solved( it was about out 12deg f that day) we are running the 18" barrel 1/10 twist and with 165gr colt (silver bear) blasting ammo the gun was ringing 8" steel @ 220 yds in no time. I'll keep you guys posted as I'm putting together one for myself from parts collected from G.B. and psa as well stuff from my inventory

Better clean your shoes, because they prevaricated all over your foot. I have TAC-10 lower, marked "multi".  Center-to-center spacing between the pivot pin hole and the takedown pin hole is 0.020" longer than a standard DPMS part (I used Ares Armor and Quentin Defense parts for comparison.

PA-10 and PTAC-10 are different things, from what I understand.  They said they eventually will be fixing the PA-10.  The PTAC-10 was already out, marked cal multi, but is NOT the updated PA-10 that they mentioned.  The only people I've heard sound satisfied are the ones who bought all PSA parts, and frankly, PSA parts don't cut it for me, unless I just want a battle rifle.  And while the rifle may work fine, the same can be said of pretty much every other gun in a similar price range, and pretty much all of THOSE will take other parts.  If PSA goes under, or stops making the PA-10, those people who were previously satisfied will be SOL for product support.  The folks who bought Aero Precision, Mega, etc, will be just fine.  Of course, that's supposing that PSA doesn't end up fixing the PA-10 as they advised me that they would.

• 2 months later...

I should have my PA-10 upper (18" SS barrel) today (I already have the PA-10 lower).  I hope to prep it (clean and lubricate, mount a scope, etc.) and take it to the range Wednesday.

mbogo

Edited by mbogo

I also have a P-TAC Lower, I haven't finished the build yet, but am happy with the finish and feel of it. I bought a PA-10 upper and BCG, everything functions correctly by hand so far. I have a friend who has built several of the PA-10 and P-TAC 308's and as long as you stick with PSA/P-TAC for the upper and lower, the rest of your parts will be DPMS style.

The proprietary LPK items are covered in their PSA PA10 Upgrade kit. http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-10/ar-10-lower-parts/psa-pa10-upgrade-kit.html

If you already have a DPMS style LPK, purchase this kit and you will be able to use all of the remaining items of your LPK.

There have been some issues regarding some aftermarket FCG, but from my understanding very little "fitting" is required to make this work correctly. Just google Geissele and PSA PA-10, and you will find several threads regarding this. I also would not be happy to take a file to my brand new $200-$300 FCG, but it can and will fit.

I will know more as I finish this build, and will update everyone on my findings as I progress. This will never be considered a high end precision rifle, but I have bolt guns for that. I wanted a budget friendly Semi Auto 308 to punch holes at 500+ yards. With the correct scope and barrel I think I will be able to achieve that.

post-15623-0-15317600-1427209234_thumb.j

I've been reading about extractor and ejection issues with the PA-10. It also seems like there's problems with it returning to battery after cycling. Unfortunately, in all the cases I've seen, PSA's taken the rifle back to fix it, but didn't really solve the issues when the rifles were returned to their owners.

Edited by FaRKle!

• 4 months later...

just after last christmas i bought a ptac 308 lower, complete, month or so later bought the 18" psa upper. you can see daylight between the receivers. took it to the range at 50 yards with iron sights it shot about 2" dead right of center, put some left windage on it and it was in the black. ran a silouette out to 100 yards and it shot center of mass, tried 3 head shots and they were in a horizontal row about where a nose would be. it's not purdy, and doesn't fit well, but it does shoot and did so right out of the boxes.

i've since built a mega arms matched upper and lower, using the barrel that comes with that upper (i had 2 of them), gonna take it out tomorrow, if it performs as good as the ugly sister then the ugly sister will likely go on the block, along with an extra bcg and upper.

it's the worst fitting psa gear i've purchased, but it does perform