• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Light 308 brush gun?

harley96cube

Until this year, I have hunted with a Remington 700 in .243.

Nice light gun for tromping through the brush.

This year I carried my 308AR through some tough brush. The only thing that was a drawback was the weight.

I haven't weighed it, but I am guessing 13lbs. +.

So my search begins for a light, short, 308 for hunting.
Bolt or Semi.

I'm spoiled by low recoil because of caliber or compensator.

I like good triggers under 4 lbs.

I'm used to Rem 700, have also used Ruger M77 (in 338 Win Mag).

Ruger Gunsite?

Rem 700 SPS with 16.5" threaded and a comp?

Suggestions?

I have a Ruger GSR .308 It's light, but I think it could be lighter with the right stock, I've been tossing the idea of a Boyds stock around. Especially after shooting 98Z5V's little Appleseed toy. 

I've got a new toy coming in soon. Thinking of cutting the 16" down to 13.7" after I'm done playing with it. That'll keep the weight down.... Although a KX5 may just bring that weight right back.

S.W.O.R.D. Int. brags that their .308 is about 9 lbs unloaded. I had the opportunity to shoot their .308 and their .338LM. They are sturdy beasts! 

98Z5V,

Primary Arms has Primary Arms Micro Dot With Removable Base MD-RBGII for $89.99. That looks like it would do the trick.

Most of my shots would be 150 yards are under.

Did you find any time that you wanted a magnifier on the red dot?

Did you end up putting a compensator on it?

I run JP comp on my 5.56, JP recoil eliminator (big) on my 338 Win Mag, and a Miculek on my LR308. All with wonderful felt recoil reduction.\

Thanks guys!

13 lbs?????? OMG what do you have on it get rid of everything that is not needed for hunting my DPMS weighs in with a 10 rd mag and 5 rounds in it at just a shade over 8and 1/4 lbs and I have killed 2 elk and 4 deer with it so far..get a vickers adjustable 2 point sling and carry the gun over the shoulder in the front postionit is a piece of cake and you have your hands free to use bino's etc....

Not sure what it weighs yet. I know my 243 rem 700 should weigh 7 lbs or so and this feels a lot heavier.

Now I'm gona have to get on the scale with it tonight to see exact weight.

I didnt build for hunting. Just wanted for heavy metal 3 gun and or pushing some longer distance. (And cause I didn't have one :) I have vtac sling and carry 2 point in front barrel down to left.

Robo. I'll search as well, but any hints on finding 13.7 inch barrel and what is a KX5? Thx

The only 13.7" I know of offhand is the Noveske "Leonidas". I'm sure there are others.

The KX3 and the KX5 are Noveske muzzle devices, designed to assist the cycling of shorter barrels. When permanently pinned to a 13.7" barrel, it extends the overall length to 16.2". This makes it legal to mount without getting an NFA-SBR stamp.

98Z5V,

Primary Arms has Primary Arms Micro Dot With Removable Base MD-RBGII for $89.99. That looks like it would do the trick.

Most of my shots would be 150 yards are under.

Did you find any time that you wanted a magnifier on the red dot?

Did you end up putting a compensator on it?

I run JP comp on my 5.56, JP recoil eliminator (big) on my 338 Win Mag, and a Miculek on my LR308. All with wonderful felt recoil reduction.\

Thanks guys!

Almost immediately - I $hitcanned that thing from Ruger and installed a Spike's Dynacomp.  Giant difference in the shooting of it.  That little, light, 16"-barrel .308 bolt gun kicks pretty damn good.  Enough that it takes you off target after a shot, and you can't see where/what you hit.  It needs a muzzle device change, right from the factory, so plan on doing that right away.  It takes a Torx T60 bit to get that damn thing off, and just go ahead and take the action out of the stock and block it into a vise - that Ruger muzzle device is on there pretty damn tight. 

There's pics of mine with the Dynacomp installed somewhere around this site...  I'll be damned if I know where they are, but they're here...  <lmao>

Edited by 98Z5V

• 4 months later...

Harley if you have a DPMS lower or one thats approved for it....get yourself a Nexgen upper...my complete rifle weighs 8 lbs 1.3 oz with Nikon m-308 scope and empty 10 round mag.....  barrel is 16" and shoots sub moa...the softest shooting ar308 ive ever shot....building two more...this is the answer for hunting

:) Wash 

new%20stuff%20010_zpsxl9lwiih.jpg

image.jpg3_zpsq2yxtahe.jpg

image.jpg1_zpsqv9lywvx.jpg

6 lbs 5.0z bare with empty mag

009_zpsrqlj0k67.jpg

Edited by washguy

• 2 months later...

Weighed the .308  rifle: 12.2 lbs with scope and sling but without a magazine or bipod.

My latest AR15 weighs 10.0 lbs. (18" with rifle length gas - DPMS 3G1 upper)

Every time that I decide to get an alternate upper (caliber, length, or whatever), I just end up getting a dedicated lower for it.

Guess I just have to build another and make it a lightweight hunter :)