• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

CMMG's ARK-47, the AR/AK

Saw this pop up today in my news feed.  Technically it's the Mk47, not the ARK-47, but it does seem like an ARK to me.

http://www.cmmginc.com/category_s/1998.htm

It looks pretty interesting to me.  I like that they were smart enough to have it use AK mags, and AR fire control and safety, etc.  Should have a lot of modularity, and the 7.62x39 is a pretty solid round.  I think I might spring for one of these when they come out.  What say you?

Edited by crimsonfalcon07

I've got a direct line to CMMG products and received the same info since we're an authorized CMMG dealer. PM me if you want one when they come up.

P.S. Were you aware that by participating in this forum and posting this topic, you've now invoked rule 68b ?

P.P.S. Looks like they are available for orders (all 3 sub-variants of the MK47)

Edited by shibiwan

I've got a direct line to CMMG products and received the same info since we're an authorized CMMG dealer. PM me if you want one when they come up.

P.S. Were you aware that by participating in this forum and posting this topic, you've now invoked rule 68b ?

P.P.S. Looks like they are available for orders (all 3 sub-variants of the MK47)

No rule applies IMO .

CMMG ?  Not me !

Is Robocop's hatred of CMMG primarily because of that .22LR charging handle?  Or is there more to it?  I know they're not even remotely close to top quality, but it does seem like kind of a cool idea to me.

It's hit or miss with them. Often you have to "touch up" the rifle out of the box - tighten some stuff, make sure right parts are installed. After that it runs like clockwork.

....besides, its easier to just go with a 300 AAC instead. Same/similar ballistics (perhaps even better IMO), less one-off custom parts, etc.

Or maybe get an AK.

Edited by shibiwan

There are guys here who have working cmmg rifles. These guys are also seasoned armorers. I've successfully used cmmg parts, but the amount if time spent to make them work offset the price savings.

I've built 3 AR's recently in 7.62x39. One using mostly YHM parts, one with CMMG, and the third with expensive boutique parts.

The YHM ran perfect from the second I torqued the last bolt. The CMMG was sent to me in pieces by a friend who tried to diagnose/fix his own rifle, and got in over his head.

The tricks about 7.62x39 in an AR are the bolt and the magazines.

MGI and Cason Engineering make bolts that have successfully run thousands of rounds in full auto rifles.

There are tutorials online how to make a full size magazine function better. The 10 round mags seem to have perfect function.

The AK-15 has been available for years. The MGI Hydra as well. Both versions use AK magazines and a modified carrier in an AR format rifle.

This new CMMG is a fix to something that wasn't a problem.

I don't know... this wouldn't seem to invoke "The Rule" to me. The context and format of the question itself doesn't lend itself to having little base knowledge about the product and asking for more technical information to base a purchasing decision on, but rather asking general opinions to see if they align with the OP's.

Edited by FaRKle!

There are things that I like about the mutant concept, and things that i dont...

My dad has a colt upper in 7.62/39 that he is trying to sell. I guess the ar 7.62/39 mags are hit or miss... I honesty dont personally know.

But if cmmg was going to make this rifle in this price range, I would not expect a "carbine length" gas tube. I would either expect it to be a custom length perfect for the cartridge, a mid length, or at this price range, piston operated.

There are two reasons that i like 7.62/39 over 300 blk. One is availability, two is cost. For this reason, I do see more American manufactures picking it up. But the cmmg kinda seems like it is a few straws short of a bale.

As much as the quality is hit or miss with CMMG , I still plan on getting one of their pistol mag AR lowers next year ! Sometimes you just have to take a chance.

It take big balls for a company to bring out inovative products. CMMG design team is way out there !

No company hits home runs every time.

As much as the quality is hit or miss with CMMG , I still plan on getting one of their pistol mag AR lowers next year ! Sometimes you just have to take a chance.

It take big balls for a company to bring out inovative products. CMMG design team is way out there !

No company hits home runs every time.

I'd prefer a DDLES or LWD.

I've built 3 AR's recently in 7.62x39. One using mostly YHM parts, one with CMMG, and the third with expensive boutique parts.

Fucking holding out again, I see.  Pics for Proof Of Life, or you might be bull$hitting...  <lmao>

I'd prefer a DDLES or LWD.

DDLES, hands down.  Fucking AWESOME pistol mag lowers, and local AZ boys to boot.  <thumbsup>

Fucking holding out again, I see. Pics for Proof Of Life, or you might be bull$hitting... <lmao>

Lol. You've seen the YHM version. It's my FDE build. I even put a Spikes HAVOC on the Troy tube. Lol

I'm actually too embarrassed to take pics of the CMMG. It belonged to a friend, and after I repaired it, it was mostly Stoner, YHM and DPMS parts inside. It shoots. Enough said. If I never get credit for it, I'm ok with that. Lol

As for my latest side project... AFTER we get back from SHOT. I have a feeling some incredible shiit is going to be released in January. I'm not building anything till I see what's out there.

Sorry Shibi... my personal hatred of CMMG can't be contained.

Why the fcuk make it bigger? Aside from diameter, the 7.62x39 cartridge is smaller than the 5.56x45.

I'm kinda with you. I have never quite understood the need for cross platform. I say either make the AK as accurate as the AR or make the AR as reliable as the AK. From what I understand, both have been done and done without being very expensive; relative to usual costs.