• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

98Z5V's Marlin 1895 GBL

98Z5V

Oh! Bidding notice that you already got sights!

Everyone loves the gbl for good reason... but i think ill do something a little different and go with the Henry, once they come out with the big loop lever for it, which will he this year.

Some people dont like the tube feed... I am one of them. But i love Henry! Lol

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wanted this rail section more than anything, but wanted something that I could mount all at once that would give me some good adjustment for 100 yards on this beast.  I've been looking at the Skinner rear sights, Williams front FireSights, and a rear NECG Peep Sight - that thing rocks!

Later, I may change some things up, but I had to fix my "zero" issue in the near term.

Here's my rear sight now, independent of the rail setup - this is exactly it:

p_006103300_1.jpg

This is the rear sight I eventually want to try out - the NECG.  It'll mount directly to the rail I have now.

p_661000035_1.jpg

Williams front FireSight:

firesightriflebeadmedium.jpg

She's slung - for now.  Pulled out a VTAC Mk1 in tan so I could get a sling on this rifle before next Sunday.  I plan on shooting this offhand at 100 - against buddies - when we go out shooting.  They need to be ready...  <lmao>

405 grains of pain coming their way...  :banana:

P1020476_zpsc8c20313.jpg

Uncle Jerry, talking about the merits of 45-70, and shooting a hand cannon!

Figured since Micro asked for it, I needed to get this info in this thread, too...  <thumbsup>

Did a trial run on the 45-70 today.  I put 20 rounds through it, so I know it can be done.  It's got about 5 feet of drop at 300 yards.

Here are Jake's first - and only - 2 rounds...   <lmao>

Lol. Poor Jake.

I hope you let him rub a little vagisil on that shoulder when he got home! I'm still working on heading out. Weather could be a deciding factor at this point.

Only took a couple rifles out there, and was only there for about 1.5 hours.  Just needed to get the sights set on that damn 45-70.  Here's the hardware:

P1020484_zpskugk5icn.jpg

P1020485_zps2usyr6bx.jpg

P1020486_zpsxqusjwia.jpg

Set up paper zero targets at 50 yards, just to see where this was at on paper.  When I put the sights on, I guessed at elevation , and centered up the windage - I was thinking I'd be close.  I shot two, and Jake couldn't find them on paper...  I was thinking this was gonna be a long day...  Walked out there, and both were in the black.  50 yards, done.  Had the steel swinger out at 100 already, so I held center and sent one - knocked the damn target over.  It blew the steel target out of the hooks and everything hit the ground - even with rocks stacked on the legs.  Never had any hot .30-caliber do that...  <laughs>

Went down and set everything back up, in order to keep shooting.  At 100, holding center, it hit the lower 1/3 on the target.  I'll take that.

P1020487_zpsibprhqmk.jpg

It's pretty easy to see which impact is the 45-70.  No doubting that mark...

P1020489_zpspeatjm8c.jpg

With everything set back up, I resumed shooting.  Hit that bastard again, and the whole target came apart again.  Back downrange...  When I got down there, it was a dead-center hit.  This load was 2 for 2 in knocking the damn target over, and I was very happy with the point of impact, so I just brought the target back to the truck.  Done shooting...  Or so I thought...

Decided to load it up again, and start shooting at large rocks at distance.  This is how I found out how much drop I had at 300 yards.  I was holding over until I got that large rock, too.  At 500 yards, it's pretty impressive how much dirt flies.  Like Jon said earlier, this thing isn't shooting bullets - it's flinging ingots...  <lmao>  At 500, the drop had to be about 10 feet.  It was nuts.

This is the newest beachmaster sling, right here - this one is going on Sexual Chocolate.  I'll pick up mounting hardware tomorrow and get pics up Tuesday.

P1020495_zpsy1mqpswa.jpg

P1020496_zpsjngzicg5.jpg

Enjoy, men!  Can't wait until next weekend...  >:D

This is for those that might doubt whether I dead-centered that bastard the second time...  We'll just remove all doubt right now...  <lmao>

P1020500_zpsxmkn3qsz.jpg

P1020501_zpskc1bziep.jpg

Had 5 more rounds in the Ruger GSR mag, so I had Jake shoot two offhand, with sling, Primary Arms 3MOA red dot - target was the section of zero targets at 50 yards.  He shot two, and I shot the other three.  I hope I had the ones that were closer to center, or I put two lower left, then jerked another one...  <laughs>

P1020499_zps83rh0lmv.jpg

Haha I'm not laughing my shoulder isn't worthy!

• 3 months later...

Forgot to mention this - picked up the Primary Arms mini red dot with the fixed base, and mounted it up.  When I mounted it, I confirmed (as I suspected) that you would have a very hard time running the iron sights with this mounted.  It wouldn't be impossible, but you really have to focus to pick them up at the very bottom of the red dot sight window.  It can be done, but it won't be quick - will have to be deliberate.

Shot it last Sunday.  I had some high hopes that I'd get it zero'd at 100, but that didn't happen.  It took alot of elevation adjustment to bring it down, so I started at 50.  I had a hard time at 50, so I moved up and started again at 25, slinged-up and shouldered.  Once I got it at 25, I moved back to 50, and got it dead-on.  By that time, there were 20 rounds down the pipe, and I was ready to pack that fucker up for the day.

My buddy shot it - twice.  He was done after two.  He was really done after one, but there was no way I was letting that go...  <lmao>

So, with 22 rounds through it, the sight isn't dead yet.  I'll keep shooting it and try to see if the recoil kills this sight.  Maybe next Sunday, I'll get it dialed in at 100.  <thumbsup>

P1020998_zpsulrqqfjj.jpg

Edited by 98Z5V

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Towards the beginning of the video, during the intro, Hickock says the barrel on this one is just over 18".  The Trapper has a barrel that's 16.25" long.  It also holds 5 in the tube.  The Guide Guns have an 18.5" barrel and hold 6 in the tube.

Badass 45-70, right there. <thumbsup>

Edited by 98Z5V

Looks like he is using hand loads , probably loaded down for lead Bullets , not like someone we know loads them . <lmao>

I thought that bbl. looked a little short for 18" .

Yeah, those didn't look like 405gr lead cast, over 50.0 gr of IMR 3031 - not enough "impact" on him!  :eek:

And the fact he said we're just barely legal at 18" thru me off a touch

He HAD to have been thinking of shotgun barrels...  <dontknow>

I love the Marlin lever guns.  I'd really like to find an affordable one in .44 Mag...which would then give me a good excuse to go by that model 29 Smith I have wanted since I saw Dirty Harry the first time. 

I owned a Model 36S  in .30-30 for a period of time, but my gun ADD got the better of me and I sold for something else.  I think a .357 or .44 model would be a keeper for me.

I've tried to look up that short rifle , I don't see it listed any where on Marlin's web sight . Don't they make it any more , they only show 18" bbl's.  <dontknow>

No.  They did a limited edition of every caliber they made, stainless steel 16" with gray laminated stocks and fiber optic sights.  If you can find one in any caliber, they are fetching top dollar as they were limited editions from Marlin.  Prior to the Remington/Freedom Group buy out.

Like $2800 and climbing on the last one I found (which I think was .357 Magnum).