• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Need help with reliability

About a year ago I sold a custom built 308 Ar. I purchased the Ar with a CMMG lower, dpms upper, dpms lower parts kit, and a black rain ordnance barrel.

I replaced the damaged buffer tube, the buttstock, the buffer retaining pin, and swapped the hammer spring for an extra strength model.

The owner just called me. He recently fired the rifle, and was having light primer strikes. So he took the rifle to a gunsmith, who said that the scratches on the ejected cases meant that there was probably a bur in the chamber, and that the barrel would need to be replaced most likely.

I talked to the gunsmith. He said that the bur is keeping the barrel from fully seating, which is keeping the rifle from ffilling going into battery, and leaving the light primer strikes, but he also said that he had not removed the barrel, or actually inspected the bore, but for the cost of removing the barrel, checking the bore, possibly polishing the chamber, and re installing the barrel, and possibly re headspacing it, would cost as much as just buying and installing a new barrel. Sounded like a greedy back handed gunsmith to me.

My advice was to REALLY clean the rifle, then run it dripping wet as much as possible, for "fluff and buff".

I said that if that isn't the best option, getting that chamber polished should help, and should NOT cost that much $.

What is your opinion guys?

I am inclined to not trust the gunsmith, as the owner gave the dude the rifle and a box of ammo, and the dude shot it, didn't really even inspect anything, and is charging the owner $50 for it. For what!?

And.....

cmmg_zpscc5zecat.jpg

First.. that GS is full of shiiiiit.

I say you chuck a chamber brush into a rotary drill, squirt some flitz on the wire, then spin that fucker inside the chamber for a good bit. That'll polish the hell outta it.

Clean it out REALLY GOOD afterwards. Get a light coat of lube inside the chamber... not much needed inside there... have your buddy soak the BCG in "FULL SYNTHETIC" 0w40 (or 0w50 if you can find it)

Re-headspace it? Just what the hell is that?

Exactly what I thought when I read that. 

If that GS said there's a burr on the barrel that won't let it fully seat, then he has to be talking about a burr on the outside of the barrel extension, and it's not fully mounted in the upper receiver - would create too much headspace with the bolt. That would be a very easy fix.

However, if he's talking about some burr in the chamber (most likely) that is scratching the case, stopping the case in the chamber, and not letting the bolt fully close - that shouldn't be a tough fix, either.

Like others have said, I'd polish the chamber first...

When I got the rifle, the buffer tube had some gauges from installation, and the buffer detent was bent. The problem was that CMMG hadn't drilled the hole for the detent deep enough. So instead of forcing it, I sanded a bit off of the bottom of the detent so that it could operate properly, without damaging or modifying the top of the detent like the previous owner had done when building the rifle.

What the HELL?

Do you guys expect the gunsmith to work for NOTHING??????

To fire the ammo, he first has to go to the range, set up, then shoot, take everything down, and go back to the shop!  Thats an easy 2 1/2 to 3 hours!

Who pays for that??????

I'd bet  that the least of you are payed at least $30 dollars an hour.   And. I would guess.most a lot more!!!!!

30 years ago, I had to make AT LEAST $150 an hour, just to keep the doors open.  I'd hate to guess what it would take today.

So, get off the gunsmithes god dammed back, and think befor you start flamming!

Terry

I'd bet  that the least of you are payed at least $30 dollars an hour. 

Nope, wrong.  I get paid more along the lines of minimum wage - god damn good thing I like my work, most of the time, when I'm not dealing with a$shole customers that like to yell and bitch, just to get things even CHEAPER.  I diagnose and fix motorcycles, side-by-sides, ATVs, fucked up Can Am Spyders, and things like that. "Warranty covers EVERYTHING!"  No, it doesn't, you cheap fucker - you blew out your clutch...

So, in a nutshell, Gunsmiths aren't the only people to get fucked, in their business. MANY people get fucked in their business.

This particular gunsmith he's talking about though?  That guy was full of poop...  Read it through, Terry, before you issue a lesson...

He works at a range... so to shoot a box of ammo, look at the cases, see a scratch, and say that a new barrel is needed, without more in depth evaluation, it borderline criminal.

Like the car guy selling a new motor to a pregnant woman who has a cracked radiator hose.

Can people cheat a couple of bucks and be considered legitimate? Sure. But this dude kicked a tire and made a crazy diagnosis.

In my opinion.

I would have had more respect for him if he charged $50, and said, "I checked the rifle, and I am not sure of the problem, but I forwarded the issue to Mr Ar gunsmith who knows his stuff, and told him what I found. Here is his phone number"

When I got the rifle, the buffer tube had some gauges from installation, and the buffer detent was bent. The problem was that CMMG hadn't drilled the hole for the detent deep enough. So instead of forcing it, I sanded a bit off of the bottom of the detent so that it could operate properly, without damaging or modifying the top of the detent like the previous owner had done when building the rifle.

Gouges from instillation ? Buffer stop bent ? Now where have I heard that before ? The buffer stop being bent may be from the Buffer hitting it with every cycle , when firing , something that's not supposed to happen . The Buffer stop is only there to keep the Buffer & spring from shooting out of the Receiver extension upon disassembly for cleaning ( shot gunning the upper) .

Did the face of the Buffer have a bunch of scratches ?

Was the Head Space checked upon assembly ? If it Head Spaced correctly , there is nothing in the Chamber keeping it from chambering a Cartridge , other wise , it would not pass Gaging .

Light primer strikes ? Is the rifle miss firing & then the cartridge is extracted & this is where they are seeing the scratches & a shallow indentation of the firing Pin on the Primer ?

Every time you cycle a Cartridge in an AR  & don't set it off ,it will get a slight indentation on the Primer & scratches from Barrel extension locking lugs .

There were gauges in the buffer tube, and the retaining pin was bent, but I know that the pin was bent from in proper installation, due to in proper depth of the hole that it goes in.

The buffer was not scratched. In fact, I believe it was a black rain buffer, and it had a biohazard symbol on the face, that was in good condition.

The one thing that the gunsmith did say upon inspection, but only when asked, was that the head space was correct.

Good eye from problems though!

I have a feeling that if I could take my rifle to any of you guys that the problem could be properly identified and remedied quickly!

I replaced the hammer spring due to the light strikes, yes. I had the issue once in a mag. I cleaned the gun, soaked the bcg in an oil bath, lathered her up, did the mentioned repairs, and didn't have the issue again. But i only shot another box through it.

Now this guy a year later doesnt know anything about guns, and gets 3-5 light primer strikes from 20 rnds, takes it to a gunsmith, and this is where he is.