Bolt not going back far enough to engage bolt face

boostless

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Maybe the buffer isn't seating all the way into the spring?

You can put them together like that - buffer not locked into the spring.  This situation will fix itself the first time you pull the trigger. 

Definitely could have been the case, if this rifle has never been fired.  I still think it's the wrong spring, though.

Sorry 'bout the late reply - was helping my neighbor swap on engine out on his '63 Corvair - anyways I popped out a factory DPMS Carbine length action spring and came up with 11-3/8" long and 28 coils, with my DPMS BCG and Carbine buffer combined with a std mil spec AR15 type buffer tube (7") the bolt catch locks on the bolt face no problem - hope that helps

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/813595/dpms-buffer-spring-lr-308-carbine?cm_vc=ProductFinding

Edited by guruofhotrod

Did you try another P-mag to ensure that it by some chance was a bad one? If you are running a DPMS carbine length tube are you you running a carbine length 308 buffer and spring? If all the answers to this is yes, than its the CMMG Bolt catch. Easy and cheap fix.

So no, it wasn't the proper buffer spring. That's interesting since the link you provided shows it comes as a set. As 98 Z stated, "coil bind". Replacing the spring as you did should take care of it.

DPMS said that I had to deal with the company I bought it from.  I sent them an email and received a reply back stating that they were going to get the correct/new buffer and spring out to me.  Hopefully this will correct the problem, I will update when I receive the new parts.  Thanks for the help.

The measurements on the buffer stuff:

Spring measures 10.5 inches just sitting on the table and has 38 coils

Buffer measures 2.5 inches including the rubber end piece

Tube depth is 7 inches

. I just read that the DPMS GII has a 38 coil spring in the SASS . Its a little longer , not sure what you have , at this point .

Buffer Spring 12-5/8" free length, 38 coils, .080" wire diameter (unknown wire material), 15/16" OD

Edited by survivalshop

Don't wait for them to tell you what you need - order the correct spring and fix it yourself.  Take their spring, or course - whether it's right or wrong.

Don't rely on the people that sent you the kit, to send you the correct spring - they very well might send you the same damn thing you already have - and insist it's right.

Fix this yourself, without a company telling you what you need to do.  I can see us diagnosing this again, after that new spring comes in, with you insisting it's the right spring - because THEY insist it's the right spring...

See where I'm going here?  Can you smell what I'm spreading?

Buy an Armalite AR-10 Carbine spring, and be done with it... 

I haven't been able to find anything similar so I'm gonna wait to see what they send me.  The SASS as far as i know has a rifle length system on it so it wouldn't work for me since I'm running the carbine system.

Yes,I was showing you a comparison , don't know what they sent you ? Its not right , that's for sure .

Edited by survivalshop

I got the replacement spring and buffer in today.  Slapped it in and the bolt is going back all the way allowing the bolt catch to engage the bolt face.  The bolt catch could engage a little further up when engaged by hand.  When an empty mag pushes it up it goes up quite a bit more, it will be fine until I get the money to replace it with something better.  

The replacement buffer looks to be the same and the spring has 28 coils and is 11 1/2 inches.  Looks just like the pic survivalshop posted.

Thank you all for your help on this.

• 4 years later...

I'm having the same problem I have tried different spring lengths siding work so I have an armalite ar10 I measured the depth of the spring tube the armalite is approx 1 inch deeper I'm thinking this might be the problem I will ditch out the tube and see if it works.  I will let you know if it works.  DM

On 5/9/2019 at 1:13 PM, Dan said:

I'm having the same problem I have tried different spring lengths siding work so I have an armalite ar10 I measured the depth of the spring tube the armalite is approx 1 inch deeper I'm thinking this might be the problem I will ditch out the tube and see if it works.  I will let you know if it works.  DM

Welcome to the forum.  

There are plenty of threads that detail the differences in receiver extension (buffer tube) depth and the appropriate buffer and spring.  An approximate depth is not good enough for these rifles.  A rifle length receiver extension (RE) is the same across all platforms - AR15, AR10, LR308.  An Armalite AR10 carbine RE will be 7 5/8 inches deep, not more or less.  A DPMS pattern carbine RE will be 7 inches deep just like an AR15, again not more or less.  The buffers and springs are also not interchangeable.  Here is a great reference chart for that.

1215087852_BufferTable.thumb.jpg.36ebb780c87fd56508fcea0302a92879.jpg

If you are still having an issue with your rifle, you might be better served by starting a new thread with your details.

Edited by Armed Eye Doc
correcting measurement