• Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

CMMG 12.5" .308 Barrel

liber

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PM Shibiwan, he is our resident CMMG guru & dealer, he can probably get you a better deal too!

http://www.dtprecision.com/

Nice, I will do that. If I can swing it, I'd like to get a complete upper. If not just a barrel and piece it together. I don't have any upper now though, so it would make sense to get the upper and guard together it seems.

When someone asks about a piece of gear no one on the forums has, they are obliged to buy one and review it for the benefit of the community.

Oh, I wasn't aware of that...I can live with that type of rule, I thought I violated some type of link to the CMMG site or that I didn't post a pic or something... LOL

I would love to try it out...just trying to sort out my cash 'sitch...if you know what I mean. ::)

I know there are not a lot of these barrels on firearms yet, at least from the searching I've done on the web. I sent a PM to shibiwan to see if he has any info on the barrel and/or pricing.

More than a few people look at me like a deer looking in a spot light when I mention putting a 12.5" barrel on an LR-308, but there are a number of videos that do show them as reliable, none that I could find on the CMMG barrel though. Jeff Zimbra (Bigshooterist) has a video shooting a POF P-308 w/12.5" barrel and getting nice groups at 300 yards. That would cover much of my needs of it.

I would love to try it out...just trying to sort out my cash 'sitch...if you know what I mean. ::)

That would have zero bearing in this situation.  Logistics on your part need to be considered, of course, but at this point, you practically own this barrel, with review. 

There was a recent new guy that asked about a part, and even mentioned "the rule" in his post - his first post, or close - he spent more time reading and not posting, and was aware of it before making that post.  If that new guy can do it, then...  <dontknow>

Let us know how it shoots.  <thumbsup>

Maybe he's building a Pistol <dontknow>  

The pistol lower is completed with a functioning LPK, pistol tube, but needs a 308 buffer/spring...and the upper of course.

That much I know, that it is a pistol, because that's how I manufactured it. <thumbsup>

For anyone following, KAK Industries has a short barrel .308 barrel as well as an upper. In their case the barrel is 10.5".

Aside from cutting one down, the KAK Industries and CMMG are the only short .308 barrels that I can find readily available. Kurt at KAK said they will have some soon, as they will uppers.

Barrel

http://www.kakindustry.com/kak-762-stainless-105-inch-carbine-stainless-barrel

Upper

http://www.kakindustry.com/lr-308-parts/lr308-kak-1050-carbine-7-62nato

Aside from cutting one down, the KAK Industries and CMMG are the only short .308 barrels that I can find readily available.

Rainier Arms has a much better barrel, and it's "readily available"...

Rainier Arms "Ultra Match" 12.5" DPMS Barrel

http://www.rainierarms.com/rainier-arms-ultramatchtm-308-barrel-12-7

And they'll head space your bolt for you.

Rainier Arms has a much better barrel, and it's "readily available"...

Rainier Arms "Ultra Match" 12.5" DPMS Barrel

http://www.rainierarms.com/rainier-arms-ultramatchtm-308-barrel-12-7

And they'll head space your bolt for you.

What that looks REALLY nice...Shilen blank! That's gonna be a definite contender.

No way, man - he's in for the CMMG with this thread he started.  Rules are rules - aware or not... 

LOL...to paraphrase Miles Davis, "I got 'yer rules hangin..."

But the thing is, that's almost twice what the CMMG barrel is...probably makes sense to spend extra on a barrel, given a quality blank like a Shilen...that's gonna take some ponderin'...that would be pretty pricey...I bet the upper would end up about $1500, as it would easily be over $1k with a bolt and upper, and that's not including the rail. But it's only like $200 more for the barrel. As my Grandfather used to say, "that's not bad if you say it fast..."

Edited by liber

I have a 12.5" Noveske Leonidas barrel. There are more out there.

Is yours DI or piston?

Does this mean I'm stuck with "the rule" for both the Ranier and CMMG ? I'm not even gonna say a peep about that Noveske...hehehe

My wife's not gonna be happy about "the rule"... LOL