• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

SI Defense 300 Win Mag

D.R.D.

As do I Robo and thanks for yakkin with me.  Although we may not always see eye to eye on everything, it is all heard and appreciated and hey, look where I ended up.

I'm just old man.  Old, beat up, blown up, run over, burned, cut, sliced, diced, poked, prodded and abused more times that I would choose to remember but I do sometimes actually hear stuff and in the end, sometimes you have to take a short ride on the wrong road to end up on a better one...lol 

Their "soon to come list" eh?  Heck, they'll be making a 75 round drum in 338 lapua before I can slip another rifle past my wife....lol

Really though, she's awesome about it and shoots "almost" everything we have.  These SI pieces are definitely some high end sticks though.  Maybe if I start saving NOW, by the time I have enough green for one, she'll have forgotten about this one.... >:D

Ok so what are we talking here 300 WM short or standard? and what does anyone need one for ? and 338 is like shooting a 4570 rainbow arc.... just curious not dissing anyone just can not believe anyone would need any magnum caliber if it offers no more round or better accuracy as a bolt gun of which there are very many awesome 1000 yard guns in bolts avalible... school me.....

Spoke with SI defense.  It's a SAAMI full 300 Winchester Magnum round.  They have 2 other multi caliber platforms in the works.  One called the "Gyra", that I believe he said will switch between .308 and 300WM, and the "Exodus" that will switch between 300WM and 338LM. Both will require bolt and barrel swaps.  Neither are "quick changes"  Sounds like having separate uppers might be easier.  Either way, looking forward to their stripped receivers, bolts and mags for the 300WM! The rest of the PETRA 300Wm is completely DPMS compatible!

...and the "Exodus" that will switch between 300WM and 338LM...

Are you sure they said "Lapua Magnum" and not just ".338"? I'm only asking because when I met them at the SHOT show, they were only talking about the .338 win mag and the .338 federal... they specifically said they were not looking into the lapua magnum at this time.

If they're chambering it for the .338 Win Mag, it may prove to be a boon for the under valued caliber.  Handloaders have boasted of the .338 WM for decades, been real popular with the canyon elk hunters in Colorado and New Mexico...just can't seem to break that niche.

Ok so what are we talking here 300 WM short or standard? and what does anyone need one for ? and 338 is like shooting a 4570 rainbow arc.... just curious not dissing anyone just can not believe anyone would need any magnum caliber if it offers no more round or better accuracy as a bolt gun of which there are very many awesome 1000 yard guns in bolts avalible... school me.....

.300 Winchester Magnum, not the WSM.  Ironically, the .300 Win Mag was originally marketed as the "short-action magnum" so as to appeal to the .30-06 shooters of the day.

You are right...plenty of long-range bolt-actions on the market.  Hard to pay 3x as much for a special semi-auto.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...