• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Boots

Robocop1051

Rubber roof suck wet/snow/ice.I have seen guys with the most agressive lugs on there boots bite the dust under those conditions.Those soles aren't that smooth.The company also resoles them with the original soles for a little less than a shoe repair shop.Shipping was $14.00 from my house to them.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My northface boots held up well, but shifting on my motor has really chewed up my left foot. I'll be in the market for new boots 5his summer. 

Keen and Merrell are always in my closet for run around shoes. The Merrell MOAB is my favorite so far.

I can sympathize with the shifter probs. I used to ride a KZ1000 and also had a KZ650 that I bought from Dallas PD that was a screamer; they big-bored it so it could keep up with the 1000's and after I took the windjammer & saddlebags off it was nearly uncatchable. Worst ride ever? A tossup between that ride from Lubbock TX to Ft Lauderdale Fla while it rained the whole frigid trip and the time I had TWO ingrown toenails that made shifting and rear-braking excruciating. Solved that little prob with my pocket knife while gulping Jack Daniels!

I have a pair of steel toe logger boots that were made by "Lake of the Woods". LaCrosse bought them out and no longer make them. My boots are around 25 years old, Vibram soled and still look great. There is something to be said about an American made boot. My hunting boots are Hi-Tec's. I bought them when they first hit the market. 20+ years ago, still as water proof as the day I bought them.

• 3 months later...

Shepp let me know what you find out? 

Broke some new keen boots in two days went back to danner for my trip i think they are falling apart already? My buddy buys from rei and has no problems returning shits.. Ill give them a try but they dont seem to have work/ hiking boots? 

Anyone else use rei?

Will do I'm done with bates stupid things have broke on them way to soon on my last two pairs. But I walk a lot, I was thinking I did 3-4 miles a day but it's looking more like 6-7 since I got my pedometer on my phone I've been watching my steps and daily mileage. I really like the looks of the under armor tactical boots, but the reviews everywhere on them are junk everyone says the soles fall off. Friend of mines dad has some reeboks and said he likes them, so I decided to try them out. 

Not boots....but I bought those 511 tactical recon trainers a year or so ago. Got them on sale, and immediately noticed they were made in China :( they looked well made, but are extremely light. Like styrofoam light. I didn't have real high hopes.

So here we are and not a single stitch popped. Tread is  wearing but still good. I wear these 5 to 6 days a week at the day job where I'm either driving for 10 hours straight in town on and off the pedals all day, or up and down from the truck every few minutes. Also work my side gig that's pretty much non stop walking. Was in Vegas recently for work and the phone app said I walked 64 miles and 77 flights of stairs over the week. Was pulling 17 hour shifts. All that and no foot cramps. Only issue u see with them is winter or wet use, as they have zero insulation. 

I also find myself wearing them around on my days off. I dont buy clothing or shoes often. I still have a few jackets and a pair of Doc's from high school 20 years ago. Very happy with these and will buy again if I find them on sale. They have some cool colors too.

http://www.511tactical.com/recon-trainer.html

Edited by blue109

Ps sketch I was looking at the Keens nice looking boot, little more than I wanted to pay and they all have a smooth sole. As Rene and I stated above moist rubber roofs are murder with grippy boots and smooth soles are even worse. 

Three selling points for me, water proof, breathable, and side zip. They do have a bunch of work site qualification too that I don't need to worry about but a plus. And the toe is also pretty sturdy and very roomie 

Shepp Im in on a boot with that minus the side zip! Stupid screws in my anckle are a bitch sometimes! I like the tread once a year when i gtfo of town! Not a requirement either? Weare them out and get back bro thanks 

blue ill have to look at 5/11 again? A buddy had issues with his first pair but there are other opitions.

thanks bros!

@shepp

They were right on the money size wise. I usually wear between 10-10.5. Bought 10.5 and they fit fine. Could probably go up half a size and still be ok.

Don't think they would be good for riding though. The sole is thin and not very supportive. Your foot would probably wrap around the pedal and get sore pretty fast. Probably wouldn't be my choice in any sharp terrain for that reason. 

I'm a Merrell fan big time. I love their MOAB mid boot. I think I have two pairs. Besides being my daily shoe, I also wore them in my hiking trip through the Sierras. If they came in all black I'd wear them on duty too .

The North Face makes the Hedgehog boot. It was the most comfortable boot I've ever worn on duty 12+ hour shifts and it still felt like I was wearing clouds on my feet. Only problem was, they didn't hold up long. My left boot wore out from the shifter on my motorcycle. Then the soles went out shortly after. I literally wore them till they were slicks.

Now I just bought a pair of Salomon 3D Forces GTX. This boot is taking some getting used to. I really like it, but this flatfoot really has flat feet. The boots have a sturdy arch inside that's just killing me. I've only worn them three times, so I'm sure it's nothing some Dr Scholls gel inserts won't fix. They were really snug/narrow when I bought them, and I was worried about that from others reviews. The boots relaxed after one day of wear and they are just fine now. I really really like their laces. It's just a pull string with a lock. Very very very fast on and off. The gortex is light and keeping my feet dry and cool in this hellacious heat. 

On ‎6‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 10:28 PM, shepp said:

I was thinking I did 3-4 miles a day but it's looking more like 6-7 since I got my pedometer on my phone

I'm right there with you Shepp. A buddy of mine started wearing one of those fit-bit girly things (cause of a girlfriend), and I was giving him $hit about it till he started telling me just how far we had walked one day. Well over 12,000 steps by a little past noon. Not sure what the mileage translates to......but I think that I don't wanna know.

I'm extremely hard on my boots. They're all I wear (7 days a week). I don't have anything else except formal dress shoes (one pair.....shocker). And I very rarely ever wear those. Just for funerals, weddings and such.

Let me know how those work Shepp.

Just now, Rsquared said:

Damn Shepp. HVAC / Control techs.................we're the infantry of the trades. We do LOTS of mileage.

Heat just hit here about a week ago. it's been cooling down at night so not super busy, but yeah I've been hustling. Gotta throw an R on the end of that HVAC/R for refrigeration ??

21 minutes ago, Robocop1051 said:

Refrigeration too?!?. Freon fucked up a guy I know. I don't remember all the details, but he had been inhaling the stuff due to a leak in equipment. He thought he was dying and ended up in the ER for a few days. 

Yep it'll do that if your not in a well vented area, it displaces oxygen being heavier than air. Also if it hits an open flame it creates a gas called phosgene which was used as a chemical agent in WW1. It's nasty takes you breath away, eyes burn, nose snots up, it's a real good time. All the stores I deal with use "freon" type refrigerants (freon is duponts brand name) r22, r404a, r407a. This big cold storage wear house we used to service got a remodel and up graded to ammonia, I'm glad we had to drop them that schit will kill you faster than lightning.