• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

This was a few months ago at approximately 300 yards.  I went shooting with three buddies of mine on some private land and we had my LR-308 and a Remington model 700 bolt action 308 along with 243.  Not the greatest grouping but good enough for me to be happy with it....for now ;D (oh and a lot of these hits were with the argentine ammo I posted about in the ammo section just to give a little better perception to my description)

post-67-136297263232_thumb.jpg

post-67-136297263236_thumb.jpg

I think I'm going back out tomorrow and shoot some different ammo through the .308, so I'll have some targets of that to put up.  In the meantime...

Here's the 20" precision 5.56 gun.  It's a YHM lower, upper and barrel (1/7 CMV chrome lined), and this thing is probably the most accurate semi that I have.  It's nuts. 

CompletedSPR02.jpg

I tried several different types of ammo through it last time I took it out, and the results were pretty good.  I shot PMC Bronze 55gr, .mil M855 62gr, Black Hills/Hornady V-Max 60gr, and Black Hills 77gr SMK. 

PMC 55gr - all over the paper, not really grouping.  Kinda what I expected through a 1/7 barrel.

012955PMCTgtGfx.jpg

M855 62gr - a little better.

0129M855TgtGfx.jpg

The 60gr V-Max - this stuff surprised me, and did very well!

012960grAMaxTgtGfx.jpg

77gr SMK - this is just what I thought would happen with this stuff.  Very happy with it.

012977SMKTgtGfx.jpg

So, until tomorrow, this is something to look at.  Makes me want to go out now... 

That rifle sure looks sweet. Nice shooting.

Can i use that picture at one of my other sites?

Certainly!  If you need a spec list, or any other pics, just let me know what you'll need and I'll try to grab it.

Got out yesterday to the range; it's a completely free "sighting in range" that's owned/run by the Wildlife Management Area, and it's a very nice 100-yard range.  Well, right when I got setup with the guns and firing position, some fool with hot loads in a muzzle loader caught the dry grass on the berm on fire...  :o  We all ran down there and were trying to stomp it out, beat it with shirts, everything.  The wind picked up and kept shifting, and just when we'd have a section of it beat, it would flare up again on the other side.  It was back and forth like that until the fire dept got there and hosed it down.  We all thought they Wildlife Manager was gonna shut it down, but all he did was talk to everybody and let us keep going.  For me, it was on the verge of being a bad day, but turned into a great one.

I got the .308 finalized at 100 yds.  First pic here is the 168gr match boat tails from Mac's Reloads that I picked up.  Gonna keep buying them, too.  6 rounds, top three were for group and I dropped two clicks on the scope.  Bottom three were after doing that.  Here's where it stays, and I re-zeroed the turrets.

Target19mar103.jpg

I took the 14.5" 5.56 gun out there and shot up a bunch.  I can get those targets up later, but they're nothing spectacular.  Irons and red dot at 50 and 100, and it's a good shooter.  Accurate for being fast, if that makes sense.  It's zeroed at 100 yards, 3" high from point of aim.

Last one up was my old, very reliable Olympic Arms "Politically Correct" M4.  I put a CMMG .22 conversion bolt in it and I'm teaching the kids to shoot Evil Black Rifles with it.  Of course, I was testing it out myself, first.  ;D  I zeroed it at first at 50 yards, being skeptical that I'd get a good zero at that range - it's on it!  Love this little thing!  First target is bullseye point of aim at 50, with shot after shot on it.  I did two 5-shot groups with it to adjust the irons, and you can kinda see those on the target.  Once I had it where I wanted it, it was blasting time.  The second target is at 100, point of aim being the top of the target for a hold over.

Target19mar101.jpg

Target19mar102.jpg

The thing is a BLAST!!!

Here is a target shot with my LR-308. I have been having alot of trouble trying to shoot groups off the bench. 12 shots fired in 3 shot groups allowing the barrel to cool between groups. The pencil lines show the 3 shot groups. Notice the group centers are all over even though each group by itself isn't bad. I used a front bag on a mechanical rest and a rear bunny ear bag.

12shot100yds150gr.jpg

This is the best group I've been able to shoot. Five shots off a double bag rest in one string no cooling between shots.

165SSTH4895C.jpg

This is a 10 shot group fired in two 5 shot strings allowing the barrel to cool between strings. I shot this group with my elbows on the bench and my front hand on a bag.

165SSTH4895D.jpg

This rifle is a real chore to shoot off a double bag rest. it bounces around so much with every shot, you have to move it around too much to lay it back in for the next shot and that causes the POI to change. I shoot it better off my hands. I'm going to try it prone with a sling and I think that will be the best way to shoot it.

This is the rifle I'm shooting. Started as a standard LR-308 w/24" bull barrel. I had ADCO recontour the barrel to a straight .750 and install VLTOR low profile gas block. Added a tubing stock and better grip. Had Bill Springfield do the trigger. Initially had a PEPR mount with a Leup 2.5-8 VX-III with a Burris Fastfire mounted on the PEPR for a backup sight. Now I have a Millett TRS-1  in 30mm quick release rings.

165SSTH4895D018.jpg

It definitely needs a better trigger, unfortunately I spent my trigger money on one of those ZM-4 uppers DSA is selling, I just couldn't resist ;D

Interesting stuff. Has anyone else shot it? results similar? Have you shot it with buis?

not sure if I mentioned this before but Millet had some issues with their tactical scopes (LRT,TRS) just prior to Bushnell taking them over. I think it was a few discussions on the SWFA forum.

I bought the Millett to more or less proof the Leupold I had on it when I first bought it. So far the only problem with the Millett is the clicks are 1/2 moa not 1/4 as marked on the scope itself. Part of the problem could be that I am recovering from a badly torn rotator cuff and my shoulder is still not very strong. Thats why I've only been shooting off the bench. I'm not in a hurry with it, and will take my time and figure it out. If all else fails I'll put a match barrel on it.

• 3 weeks later...

Was able to hit the range for a short time today with my build. It's been awhile since I've driven a gas gun. the Geiselle DMR is so smooth crisp. here's my results, got some bench time to work on, that's for sure. The 1st target was getting it on paper at 50yrds. 2nd is at 100 yrds andThe 3rd target groups are top, bottom, middle at 100 yrds and the last one is at 200 yrds. I was using 175gr GMM factory ammo

post-20-136297263366_thumb.jpg

post-20-136297263368_thumb.jpg

post-20-13629726337_thumb.jpg

post-20-136297263371_thumb.jpg

Got to the range today to start the break in on my new rifle. Fired the first 25 rds., cleaning after every round (as per DPMS). I was using Federal 150 gr. SP, whoever said to use everything else until you find a round better then this sure wasn't kidding. It fed well, and looks like my rifle likes it. I was shooting off of a shakey portable bench with a front bag and just into my shoulder in the back. This 100 yd. target was the 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th, and 12th round out the bore. It figures the 5th round would be the one to open up the group. I also got a 2 1/8" 3 shot group at 200 yds. Sure did have a good time with this rifle  <thumbsup>.          -Bill-

post-106-136297263373_thumb.jpg

Went to the range yesterday, mainly to sight in my AR-15, it was a really windy day. Was able to finish the break-in process on the 308 as well. Wasn't really concerned with groups on the 308 just wanted to finish the break-in. But just before closing up for the day I wanted to fire a "rapid" fire string for group(fire,reset,fire), managed this nice group in about 20 sec. Was shooting 175 Fed GMM at 100 yrds. I couldn't be happier with how this build turned out. <thumbsup>

post-20-136297263379_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

It's great to finally find a forum relating to my LR platform I recently purchased a LR 243 for an all around hunting rifle. I needed something for anything from ground hogs to deer so I picked the 243 and absolutely love it, just wish I could shoot it more than I currently do. It's by far the most accurate semi auto I've ever shot I've put about 250 rounds through it without a hiccup. Below is a 3 shot group with some cheap ammo from Wally World at 100yds, can't wait to get some match grade stuff for it.

DPMSwDime100yds.jpg

• shepp unpinned this topic