Lets see some targets - Range Pictures

imschur

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Drew, I'm back in business for a range - found something that's only about 5 miles from the house, and the rifle range on it goes out to 400 yards.  <thumbsup>

I'll probably talk to you about it in a little while.  I'm going to check it out this weekend, and put down some rounds with the 20" 5.56 gun, and maybe the .308 bolt.  <dontknow>

Drew, I'm back in business for a range - found something that's only about 5 miles from the house, and the rifle range on it goes out to 400 yards.  <thumbsup>

I'll probably talk to you about it in a little while.  I'm going to check it out this weekend, and put down some rounds with the 20" 5.56 gun, and maybe the .308 bolt.  <dontknow>

sounds good, email me

You should try one of our 3 groove poly 1-8" twist barrels. My personal gun is an 18" 1-8 stainless HBAR. Its my Pdog blaster. With H335 under a 75 grain Hornady BTHP, I printed 3 groups measuring .499, .497 and .501" with 5 shot groups. I need to find the pictures, but it was scary accurate for a gas gun.

gallery_256_99_73680.jpg

BHW Staff

I'll definitely try one, if you guys a providing one to test.  No joke.  I'll build another upper around it just to shoot it - but I'm not going to change the upper I have on that gun right now, man.  That thing is workin' for me.  ;D  What is your barrel shooting in a 10-shot group?  I'd shoot one of your barrels for a test, and buy the thing if I can make it work, but right now I just can't buy another barrel to replace something that's doing it's job.  If I could find a big difference in what I'm getting now, I'd find a way to "justify" another build around it - for sure.  <thumbsup>

• 3 months later...

Hit the range today - great weather, mild wind, almost empty range as far as people go.  I'll get more details up in a separate thread, but here's the stuff to occupy the mind.  ;D

Shot 13 different kinds of .308 match ammo - I don't even know what the stuff is, honestly.  That's another story altogether, and one that will probably come out in the separate thread.  Target numbers match the number that was on the bag of ammo I received.  I shot like poo today with the .308.  >:(

Target1308SemiMod1.jpg

Target2308SemiMod1.jpg

Shot the Spike's billet build today, also.  Took it out for barrel breakin last week, and initial zero of the backup sights and DMS-1 at 25 yards.  Today I rezeroed at 50 yards (both sets).  I'll take it back out again and zero the scope at 100, but leave the backup sights zerod for 50.  Here's 50 yards on the scope:

Target1Billet.jpg

More details later.  <thumbsup>

It sure seemed like it.  <dontknow>  I shot two 10-round groups at 100 using some Ultramax 168 HPBT rounds.  They came in pretty good.  I figured I was ready to tear into the other stuff, so I commenced shootin'.  About 1/3 into it, I was asking myself WTF was goin' on...  :(

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

the top one does.. the irony is I shot and couldn't see the hits till I walked up.. 3-9 @ 200 yards on a sunny day on white background=fail..

figure $19 worth of ammo on the top pic is out-window..

the 10 shots (in 2nd pic) after the adjustment were pricele$$..

guys on the 'other board' thought the group was @ 100 yards..

gotta go back and duplicate this.. got some 10x50 Binocs coming in to help.. won't waste so much ammo..  (imagine that)..

I shot a total of like 120 round of 308  :o

First post, still doing a lot of reading. I have some catching up to do around here. These pics are from a range day in February of last year. I have not had much time to shoot since then. I was Doing some load development and suffered a broken extractor and a loose scope ring... how embarassing. I hope to be back out there soon.

I am not sure if you guys have any rules about posting group shots, these are three shot groups. I have since changed to 5 shot groups as I am working on not "wishing" the 5th shot in. If there is a min. shot number required I can delete the post.

The Rig

IMG_0716.jpg

IMG_0723.jpg

My personal best with any rifle (yes that is a 3 shot group)

IMG_0720.jpg

IMG_0726.jpg

Specs on the rig are as follows

DPMS LR-308 S.A.S.S.

swapped out the PSG-1 grip for an ergo ambi (my favorite AR grip)

bedded receiver

Armalite cantilever 30MM mount

Nightforce NXS 3.5-15x50

HSM .308 168 gr HPBT match ammo

I ran some federal gold medal match and as usual the groups were larger than with the HSM, this rifle loves the stuff. Now that she is functioning correctly I can finally develop a load for it. I have only been waiting 15 months!

If there is a min. shot number required I can delete the post.

That doesn't exit here - shoot what you shoot, for whatever reasons you do so.  No need to delete your post whatsoever, based on any shot count. 

I personally shoot 10-shot groups now so I can see the greatest varience in what I'm doing at the time, but I was raised on zeroing the AR on 3-shot groups for over 20 years.  Do what works for you.  <thumbsup>

I've taken to the five shot grouping when working up new loads...but still log the best three shot group in book also...habit maybe..the smaller groups make you feel good  :).....Save the ten shot groups for what I think is best load for bullet, just to verify.

• shepp unpinned this topic