• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Lets see some targets - Range Pictures

imschur

Well, mine aren't quite as pretty as some here.  I went to the range today and shot some 150 SGK and some 69 SMK and some 55 V-max @ 400.

The V-max barely made backer and I have to work on my dial up numbers for those.

I dialed 1 MOA right for the left wind over my shoulders, I thought it looked like the wind was different down range and I should have paid attention to what I was seeing the grass do.  Without the dial over these are pretty close to on.  The Oracle has around 500 rounds through it now and seems to be fairly settled in.    I've replaced the gracier guards with the rails that snap into the same position with a grip/push button bipod and the Stevens from a 6" Harris.  Both running Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14 BDC.

The 150s  out of the Oracle hit 1/2 MOA high and 1 MOA right (close to what I dialed)  ::) with a 4.86" spread

The 69s out of the Stevens hit .25 MOA low and 1.5 MOA right ( a little more than I had dialed with a 2.42" spread.

I don't really consider this too bad for the cheapest guns you can buy.

IMAG0418.jpg

I know everybody likes pictures.  ;D 

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So, what do you guys think the odds are that if I were to put a FF tube on this thing that the groups would tighten up??

Honest truth, I believe the FF tube won't make much difference under 300 yards. Now a match trigger, and a sturdier bipod will. Those grip-pods aren't the best option for bench shooting.

Comfort makes a big difference in my shooting as well. If the A2 pistol grip and collapsible stock aren't cutting it for you, Magpul makes good stuff at very affordable prices.

Beyond is where I'd really need to tighten them up.  I put the RR 2 stage in.  Not a match trigger but a hell of a lot better than the stock one was.  I really want to take this out to at least 800.  Right now it's plenty good for deer at the local distances that I would have to shoot.  I'm also keen on  taking less than optimal equipment and making it work well.

It's always fun to take the least and make the most of it.  Especially if it irritates a couple people a little who spend a lot more and still can't out do it.  I want my skill set to outperform my weapon of choice.  (I'm still working on that)  <thumbsup>

• 1 month later...

well finally got some range foto after zeroing this guy in @ 100y. I forgot that i had a mixed brands of 147gr, 150gr and 165gr in my "MIXED" box that's why there's alot of hole surrounding the bullseye LOL!

so i just ended up using the 150gr ammo i reloaded with a freind and pretty much got a consistent shot until the bulseye got decimated

zeroedin.jpg

Here's my latest trip to the range Wednesday evening.  6-8 mph winds gusting to the left.  I took zero account for wind not caring where they landed just checking elevation after finally officially running some rounds through the chrono.  Avg velocity is 2482 out of my 16" Oracle.  175 smk 44.5 varget, LC brass 200 primer.  Elevation by Strelok was 1/2 MOA off so I see I have to run a different velocity in the program than what is in the real world.  Still, I'll take it until I can test at longer distance.

IMAG0484-1.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well I just painted my 12" gong I got from shootsteeldotcom. It came as an unpainted target. I first removed oil residue and painted it black. I have never done anything like this before and I know I need practice but I wanted to share anyway. For what it is I think it should serve its purpose. Matt & his father helped break it in before the color target paint job. When we shot it the thing was all black and I put paper on it. That did not work because when the bullet hit it vaporized the paper as the bullet disintegrated on impact. I still sang out to you when you hit it saving you the walk to see if you hit the target, BANG...ding! what fun it is to hear.  ;D

post-1944-136297286699_thumb.jpg

It still sang out to you when you hit it saving you the walk to see if you hit the target, BANG...ding! what fun it is to hear.  ;D

That was fun brother! I can't wait for the next range day with the gong, the time passed so quick I couldn't believe it. Dad had a lot of fun too, we'll have to do it again soon.

Top was last week this one is today.Coyote 20" 5.56 45* 10+ mph. wind with gusts out of my 5:00.After watching vid from 82nd Airborne it was back to basics this time bringing the rifle to my face instead of leaning over to rifle.Working on follow thru,brain wants to stop finger after shot breaks instead of pulling to the rear :cookoo: tried the interrupted breathing method.Was fighting rifle with unnatural position new method felt better.Great link.

• 1 month later...
  • shepp unpinned this topic