• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Sub sonic .308

Doc_Tonka

Here's about the only discussion we've had on it:

I want to say there was a topic about loading subsonic .308 Win in the reloading section a few months back, but I couldn't find it just now.  It might have had a funky thread title, though.  I remember a guy coming in and asking about .308 Win sub loads, and nobody responded for a few days, and he ended up getting kinda mad about that. 

Nobody here shoots sub .308 Win (I don't think), and there's not that much experience with it, so there's not much info here on it. 

Well, I have seen 195great subsonic .308 and was curious. I do not have a suppressor at this point but it is something I will be doing after the new year. I want to have a sbr .308 dedicated upper and a dedicated intermediate upper for my .308 AR. I already have an M4 in 5.56 and do not really want to get into a 3rd caliber. Just a personal desire

I'm honestly not trying to be a dick here...

What's the point of a subsonic .308 in an AR platform? Isn't that basically a .300Blk in a much heavier frame?

Even worse... you can only load 175gr into a 308AR from a magazine... At least the Blk can shoot 220gr.

That's solid logic.  I have shot subs through a bolt gun and I am thoroughly unimpressed.  The 300blk seems to cover the sub sonic 30 caliber pretty well in both bolt and semi platforms. 

Well, I have seen 195great subsonic .308 and was curious. I do not have a suppressor at this point but it is something I will be doing after the new year. I want to have a sbr .308 dedicated upper and a dedicated intermediate upper for my .308 AR. I already have an M4 in 5.56 and do not really want to get into a 3rd caliber. Just a personal desire

They make heavy .308 rounds... but the 308AR mag is restricted to an overall cartridge length. The biggest round you can reliably fit is the 175gr, or maybe a compressed 180gr... but that's it.

I'm all for shooting suppressed... but I'd forgo the idea of shooting subsonic .308

I'm honestly not trying to be a dick here...

What's the point of a subsonic .308 in an AR platform? Isn't that basically a .300Blk in a much heavier frame?

Even worse... you can only load 175gr into a 308AR from a magazine... At least the Blk can shoot 220gr.

Versatility.

If you happen to have a spot in your mission that requires a hush-splatter on a melon, you have some subsonics.

Is it easier to tune a .308 Win down to .300 BLK or crank up a .300 BLK to .308 Win levels?

The Noveske Leonidas was released years ago.  Many years ago. <thumbsup>

Everybody thought John Noveske was crazy for doing it, then - but that thing fuckin' ran, and ran well.  He was a visionary, and he NAILED IT.  :hail:

That's the whole reason R2 is trying to copy that original .308 Carbine...  :banana: