• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Range day

The son came home so we hit the range with the AR10T carbine. And a bunch of 45's. Had the chance to try out some of those HSM Moly coated 168 gr BTHP's . They are just as accurate in the carbine as in the rifle. Had to let the wife use my cell phone so I didn't have a camera, but some of the groups were one big ragged hole at 100 yards. I am impressed enough I am going to hoard my remaining stock and start looking for more. 45' s were as fun as 1911's always are.

Thanks guys, hope all of you get some range time soon. Speaking of ranges, a couple of things. After the moly coated bullets, I pumped some old 1975 era Indian Army surplus I have through the AR10, and damned if that stuff wasn't a lot more accurate than the last time I used it! I am thinking that there is residual effect on the bore from the moly coating on the bullets. I don't know how long it lasts, but I am going to forego cleaning the bore and find out.

Also, after spending time in Minnesota this winter and finding out what it is like to live in a state with hardly any shooting ranges, I recently volunteered to be on a Wisconsin DNR Advisory committee working to promote shooting range construction and maintanence trhoughout the state. We need more, not fewer opportunities to shoot in safe places. I hope I can help make a difference.

• 1 year later...

Old thread but another range day. Decided to shoot up that 1975 Indian Army surplus I had left for 98's lube test. Nice excuse to blow through 180 rounds. Forgot how satisfying a mag dump can be. My AR10's are sighted for 168 and 175 gr reloads, so it took a little bit to dial in with the old Indian surplus. The stuff was amazingly accurate. Someone had stuck a dozen clay pigeons on furring strips stuck in the ground. I was exploding the pigeon on the first bullet, and snapping the stick at the base on the second at 100 yards. The AR10's were flawless. About 20 rounds in, and I could not miss. After I was done I was wishing for another 200 rounds. Just an enjoyable day. Now I have a bunch of brass to load up with Sierra BTHP's, and a renewed appreciation for my AR10 B's love these rifles!

image.jpeg

6 hours ago, shepp said:

I got some Pakistani stuff on belt links in the garage, I'm afraid to shoot it

Blast away with that Pakistani ammo. I've shot 800 rounds plus of it with no problem out of three different rifles, all dated to early 90's. I found it a bit on the hot side and mine is berdan primed, just as well since the brass is odd. On mine the rim seems to be thinned out some but it has never caused an issue. It does smell funky and runs real dirty. I sold the links on ebay for an average of $.04 each so don't throw them out.

2 hours ago, jtallen83 said:

Blast away with that Pakistani ammo. I've shot 800 rounds plus of it with no problem out of three different rifles, all dated to early 90's. I found it a bit on the hot side and mine is berdan primed, just as well since the brass is odd. On mine the rim seems to be thinned out some but it has never caused an issue. It does smell funky and runs real dirty. I sold the links on ebay for an average of $.04 each so don't throw them out.

Thanks I do remember them saying it was alil hot 

JT you beat me to it. I was going to suggest Shepp talk to you about it, as I remembered you had some. Had to take some Ibuprofen for my shoulder this morning. Even with a winter jacket, 180 rounds gets to you off the bench .0 F this morning.Indian Military surplus from 1979 on is the stuff to watch out for. It has been implicated in some bad accidents. Word is Winchester was contracted to build an ammunition plant in the early 1970's for India. When their contract expired in 1979 the Indian government took over production and the quality went straight downhill. Never heard any thing bad about Pakistani, but I haven't looked. The Indian Brass is thick, with reduced capacity because of that, so I reload it a little light to be on the safe side. Good brass though. That was really the only marginal ammo I had in my stash, so I will have to start shooting up my quality Mil Surp stuff now. Or just shoot my reloads. I am trying to talk a friend out of some West German Battle Packs for cheap, but those have an iffy rep. Apparently a couple of different corrosion causing molds have contaminated some of them. One doesn't do much harm, you just wipe it off. The other one though, eats right through the brass. If you ever see battle pack rounds with a pinkish color corrosion on them, word is to stay away from it.

Edited by Sisco

• 6 months later...

Another range day. Reached in the back of the safe and brought along my first AR10. Standard Rifle, nothing done to it except adding a Nikon Monarch 4x16 when I got it in 2012.  Fed it some 168 gr, Sierra Match Kings in front of 41 grains of RL 15 in the Indian Army brass I mentioned above. Had one bad case that would not go into battery, otherwise every thing was good. A 10 round group at 187 yards below. A damn fine rifle.

20170914_113900.jpg

20170914_114614.jpg

• 2 weeks later...