• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Chasing the Mk319 Mod 0

Sisco

I may have missed something already posted about this, if so, my apologies. I went back two years and did not see anything. I also checked a couple of other forums. What I am looking for is this: I have a lot of brass, mostly Winchester M-80 and Lake city M118 LR, and would like to work up a Case/bullet/powder/primer combination that approaches the ballistics and performance of the Mk319 Mod 0 round safely, if that is possible. I m guessing that that round uses every cup of pressure that can safely be used to get 2900 ft/sec out of a 14-16 inch barrel, even with only a 130 gr bullet. Not wanting to reinvent the wheel, I am going to cruise a couple other places to find any info I can, but I am guessing some one here has probably already tried or accomplished this. Look forward to your responses.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its all about the right combo of reloading components & a Chronograph will help record the right recipe . You should have no problem getting 2900fps with a 130 gr. In shorter Barrels , I would to use a faster burning powder to make use of the limited burn time . 

I have no data on the lighter side of a 308 , I don't go any lower than 147-150 gr. , but if you have the bullets , just do some start up loads with different powders to see what you come up with . Keep it safe , just about any power you use for the normal 308 Bullet weights will work , just have to find the one that works best of them .

I would use the LC , stronger base & will let you go to higher pressure then the thinner WW , although I have used them with test loads . Use a CCI Milspec primer or depending on powder , even use a Magnum  primer .

Found out the bullets are made by ATK for Federal. Pulled bullets run about $179/1000. The bullet is unique enough it is not necessairily interchangable. Open tip, front lead core, and a big copper penetrator base.

319.thumb.jpg.cf7be1123a1ac7625d1dadeb46

The copper slug that is left to penetrate weighs in at about 55 grains depending how much of the upper jacket that holds on. 

So its almost time for our hunt and the day was nice...good excuse to go the range and sight in the five ar's we are taking to hunt with....the mk319 mod 0 had me chompin at the bit....daaaamn the three 308's I took loved this stuff at 100yds...just went to the range 10 mins from the home didnt go out to the long range fifty miles away.....this mk 319 is some snappy stuff and is accurate out of the 16's and 18 inch barrels..... in my best breaststroker stance with a scale in one hand and my rifle in the other .....I fired not expecting much cause the rifles were sighted in with federal 150 gr softpoints 2 weeks ago...but heres the 3668 gram rifle shooting the mk 319......2 shots touching to the right...daamn I sez...some clicks to the left and sweeet!        good enough for bambi

the other 2 308's reacted mostly the same...this is some good stuff for 100 yds at least          Wash

336.JPG

335.JPG

Edited by washguy

Thanks brother Jeff,gonna see how they fly out of my M5 14.5.Hope you are felling better.Have a good hunt.

Thanks brother.....they ought to work good for ya.... did you pick it up from the gunsmith yet?    yep,this time next week we will be enjoying nature at its best      Wash