• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Tennessee Arms Build

mineralman55

I thought I'd continue a previous thread here, as the build has progressed past the initial stage and into the actual build stage. The other thread started with the TNArms polymer 308AR lower which is almost finished. Just received the Magpul MOE SL mil-carbine adjustable stock for it along with an AR-Stoner mil extension tube. I ordered a Heavy Buffer CAR-10 buffer with their spring (yeah, I said I didn't want to buy this, but I did). A DWilson nitride BCG, also in the mail. I had been toying with getting an Aero Precision completed upper because I really like their enhanced upper's integral rail mounting system, but I didn't want the birdcage and the non-adjustable gas block that came with it. Luckily, this morning I got an email from Aero saying they were selling just the enhanced 308AR upper with the 12" M-Lok rail for $249! They also had their Ballistic Advantage 16" mid-length CMV barrel for $209! I couldn't pass these up. Looks like I'm building a carbine.

Looks like another buying panic is occurring. Aero is out of so many parts right now (gas tubes, BCG, barrels). Midway likewise with lots of parts. Oh well...

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got a little more done. I found the Aeroprecision M5 upper didn't quite fit the TN lower at the take down pin area. I called TN, and they said no problem, it's supposed to be a tight fit. Just sand down the lower's deck a bit. I won't void the warranty. Cool. Got out the 600 grit, but that was too slow. Tried 320, also too slow. Got the 220 grit, ahhh, just right. A little sanding and the take down pin action was almost there. I found some burrs and anodizing build up inside the upper's take down hole. Sanded that with 220 grit, and the take down pin movement is now nice and smooth.

tnlower sanding.jpg

ap upper sanding.jpg

Just waiting for the waters to recede, got the upper barrelled. Went on easily. After I heated the receiver with a paint stripper for a minute the barrel slipped right in. The PlastiX jig is a very nice piece of equipment. Sandwich it between two angle irons bolted to the mill table and it didn't budge. Also, tried on the SLR mini comp. It is a very nice looking piece of equipment. Hope it functions well. Waiting on a gas block and we're ready to go.

jig1.jpg

jig2.jpg

jig3.jpg

slr2.jpg

slr3.jpg

We are okay, thank you. I'm in an area that is relatively high, and drains well. Just 10 minutes north of us though, bad juju. There was a coincidence of strong winds the three days previous which backed up and raised the level of Lake Ponchartrain to our south, simultaneous with heavy rains upstream of our drainage area. When the new storms hit us on Friday, there was no place left for the water to go and we were caught in the middle. Flood was real bad. Fortunately, the waters are receding quickly. Unfortunately, there's a lot of clean up for a lot of folks.

Just looked at the second pic of the muzzle. Green cast to the pic makes it look like it came from "The Matrix".

Edited by mineralman55

I've been very pleased with my Griffin Armament Tac Compensator, which is similar to this SLR mini comp. Some minor concussive blast, but nothing bad. I've tried the GA at several ranges, and the RO all said it was just fine. No problem with the offset shooters either. It makes a good range neighbor. Well made compensators are NOT like brakes, which are loud and obnoxious.

I might have gone with another GA Tac Comp, but for some reason GA stopped making them, They have a comp-flash hider combo which looks very effective, but it's bigger and heavier than I want. I asked GA if they had any comps left in storage because I liked it so much, and frankly, they were kind of rude to me, so my business goes elsewhere.

2 hours ago, shepp said:

PS you need one of those SI polymer dust gaurds, to go with your lower.

holy poop bean town was right I am an enabler.........

You forgot the link and image, got to make it as easy and inviting as possible;

http://www.strikeindustries.com/shop/index.php/products/rifle-accessories/ar/upper-parts/ultimate-dust-cover-for-308-656.html#.VutRcfkrKCg

SI.thumb.jpg.4c42dbf102afb45a01a7b48f063

• 1 month later...

Update on this build. It has great accuracy, but this rifle has had trouble cycling. It's not the ammo, as I always start off a new rifle with Federal GMM, and some quality reloads that have functioned reliably in a similar rifle. At first, it absolutely wouldn't extract more than an inch or so, feeding was unreliable and the cases would get hung up on the ramp. It fired just fine, but wouldn't cycle. I called Dave at dWilson mfg, and he gave me lots of options to consider. I sent the entire bcg back to him for inspection and comment. He changed out the extractor with an updated design, test fired it successfully, and sent it back. No complaints there, top notch service Dave!

Tried it again, and feeding is good but it wouldn't fully eject. It would get 80% of the way out and just stop. I called Clint at Heavy Buffers, discussed things there, he seems to think I have the proper assemblage of stock parts (Magpul MOE SL adjustable stock, AR Stoner mil-spec extension 7" inside depth, Slash's heavy carbine buffer and associated spring (27 coils)). So now I need to look over the gas block and tube. any suggestions on how I might test these out? I really need to get this one sorted out.

I actually did that, putting a Hardened Arms 308 bcg into it. It seemed to function well. I may have to buy another bcg just to try it out, but before going to that expense, is there something I can do with the gas system besides checking that it is clear, unobstructed and properly aligned?

7 hours ago, mineralman55 said:

I actually did that, putting a Hardened Arms 308 bcg into it. It seemed to function well. I may have to buy another bcg just to try it out, but before going to that expense, is there something I can do with the gas system besides checking that it is clear, unobstructed and properly aligned?

Mineral  im sure you have already done this but....shotgun the upper muzzle down drop the bcg and see if it almost goes into battery....making sure the gas key is aligned with gas tube and no dragging of bcg...and a BJ....take off the upper.. block off the chamber...blow air down the barrel and see if it makes good air at the end of the gas tube......also check your cam on the bcg to see how tight it is....ive had one bcg where the nitwit who put it together pinched a gas ring

you cans also check diam of gas port as a last resort         Wash

18 hours ago, washguy said:

Mineral  im sure you have already done this but....shotgun the upper muzzle down drop the bcg and see if it almost goes into battery....making sure the gas key is aligned with gas tube and no dragging of bcg...and a BJ....take off the upper.. block off the chamber...blow air down the barrel and see if it makes good air at the end of the gas tube......also check your cam on the bcg to see how tight it is....ive had one bcg where the nitwit who put it together pinched a gas ring

you cans also check diam of gas port as a last resort         Wash

"Air Can Test" !

Please keep your Lips of the barrel . Lol