• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Tennessee Arms Build

mineralman55

On 3/1/2016 at 0:20 PM, mineralman55 said:

I thought I'd continue a previous thread here, as the build has progressed past the initial stage and into the actual build stage. The other thread started with the TNArms polymer 308AR lower which is almost finished. Just received the Magpul MOE SL mil-carbine adjustable stock for it along with an AR-Stoner mil extension tube. I ordered a Heavy Buffer CAR-10 buffer with their spring (yeah, I said I didn't want to buy this, but I did). A DWilson nitride BCG, also in the mail. I had been toying with getting an Aero Precision completed upper because I really like their enhanced upper's integral rail mounting system, but I didn't want the birdcage and the non-adjustable gas block that came with it. Luckily, this morning I got an email from Aero saying they were selling just the enhanced 308AR upper with the 12" M-Lok rail for $249! They also had their Ballistic Advantage 16" mid-length CMV barrel for $209! I couldn't pass these up. Looks like I'm building a carbine.

Looks like another buying panic is occurring. Aero is out of so many parts right now (gas tubes, BCG, barrels). Midway likewise with lots of parts. Oh well...

So, it looks like you have the TNARMSCO lower (it took forever for me to get) and the AP upper, which is the exact same setup I am building...yay us...I noticed that the profile of the upper and the profile of the lower do not match, leaving a land where the lower protrudes farther than the lip of the upper, making the two look somewhat mismatched. I am almost certain that this has no functional adverse effects, and you can you can confirm this, but I would like to discuss your experience with the fit and finish, and if you have any thoughts about whether you would have used a different upper or lower.  I really appreciate your response, and hopefully I can contribute to your current or future builds. Thanks!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hope your combo build turns out well. Yes, the TNArms lower's top deck is slightly wider than the mating surface width of my Aero M5 upper, but it is of no consequence. They mate up quite nicely after I sanded off a few thousandths. Dave at TNArms said they're designed that way to ensure a tight upper/lower fit.

I noticed the TNArms lower doesn't fit either a SI-Defense or Mega upper. That's just life with the 308AR's non-mil spec set of parts. The Aero uppers are very nice, and should work out just fine. I'm still debugging my build, but I don't think it has anything to do with the upper/lower. When I get it finished, I'll post it up.

More grist for the diagnostic mill. I took the TNArms rifle out for another spin with the dWilson bcg with its new extractor. The action had strong extraction but once fully extracted it let go of the case which just sat on top of the mag follower without ejecting. Tried it with several different mags. If I loaded a single round in the mag, the bcg locked back just fine, but didn't eject the case. Same thing every time. No ejection, the bolt let go of the spent round at the same place and time. So I switched out the bcg with the Hardened Arms bcg from another rifle. Cycled fine, perfect function, threw the cases out at ~4 o'clock, locked back on the last round, all was good. I switched the bcg back and got the extraction but not ejection again with the bcg locking back on the last (only) shot. Okay, so it's not the buffer/spring, or the gas system. Dave at dWilson mfg suggested I switch out just the bolts and see what happens. That's next. I really want to get this sorted out.

Swap the Extractor & see how it functions & if still an issue , swap out the Ejector spring & or Ejector . I just replaced the D.Wilson Extractor with a DPMS one ,used his spring & rifle functions fine .( as I did his other Bolt that I have & it worked also  ) 

D.wilson have communicated about this issue on some builds & we are in agreement that there are many factors involved with how the Bolt lines up & mates with the Barrels extension . All because of Tolerance Stacking , no set std for components with the 308AR like its little brother the 5.56/.223 AR's .

His machining work is too good to not use his product  , very precise . That Nitrate is easy to clean , thats for sure also. 

I really didn't want to keep switching out the bcg because the one in my Maten functions so well I'd just prefer to leave that one alone. Instead, I searched everywhere until I finally found some in-stock spare bolt parts. Fulton Armory had spare ejector springs, extractors and extractor spring/donuts. This is going to be painstaking, but I'll proceed by changing parts on the dWilson bcg one and only one part at a time, starting with the ejector spring.

I totally agree with SS that the dWilson machining work is superb, and the nitride coating is beautiful. I want to see these things working for all who buy them.

Look closely at the Extractors, DPMS on the right & D.Wilson on the left . 

DSCN2625.JPG

This may be hard to see the D.Wilson because its so dark colored , but the Shadow Ops bolt on the right, has the same Extractor as the DPMS compared to the D.Wilson .

DSCN2624.JPG

D.Wilson on the left & a well used DPMS on the right . these two Extractors are configured differently & since I have two D.Wilson Bolts ( one with a BC ) & they both work fine with the DPMS Extractor installed , I don't need any more testing to figure out its got something to do with the Extractor  & its configuration, iMO .

DSCN2586.JPG

This may sound strange , but wonder if the NIB Bolt acts the same way . I may have to order one to see , just for curiosity .

Dave and I talked it over, and I'm sending back the whole bcg on his dime. I'll replace it with an AeroPrecision bcg just because it's an AP upper. Absolutely no fault or complaints with Dave. He stands behind his equipment. His bcg works with most other's rifles, he has patiently worked with me at length, and as I've said, his machining is beautiful. I just happened to get a bcg that was finicky with my collection of equipment.

I'm having pretty much the same issues as what you had MM. I contacted Dave and he offered to replace the whole BCG but I told him I would rather try changing a couple of small parts first to see if it will resolve the problem so he sent me the bolt repair kit. I haven't had any time to do anything with it since he sent the kit and things probably won't let me get to it for at least another couple of weeks either. Dave definitely stands behind his stuff though, and I wouldn't hesitate to buy from him again!

• 2 weeks later...

Finally, finally, SUCCESS! Took the TNArms out to the range yesterday with the new Aeroprecision bcg. Over 100 rounds, perfect function. Threw all the cases out at 3:30 with quite a bit of force and fortunately, they are almost pristine with minimal deformation (I'll have to fine tune the Syrac gas block now). The SLR mini-compensator worked great. By that, I mean the handling characteristics were such that I never noticed any muzzle flip or rise. Overall recoil is a bit more forceful than what I expected, but not bad at all (yes, compensators don't reduce recoil, I'm just mentioning it.) Accuracy was very good, and it can only improve. I compared my reloads (42.8 grains of Match Rifle, 168 BTHP Nosler, LC 1x-fired cases, WIN LR primers) to some Federal 168 BTHP match ammo. There's room for improvement but it's a good beginning. This is a very good combination of parts. I never had a 16" barrel before, and I really like it.

Okay, on to the next project (can't wait to post it here  :cool:).

tna_matchrifle_bthp.jpg

tna_fedbthp.jpg

Nice job , MM

On May 17, 2016 at 10:05 PM, 392heminut said:

I'm having pretty much the same issues as what you had MM. I contacted Dave and he offered to replace the whole BCG but I told him I would rather try changing a couple of small parts first to see if it will resolve the problem so he sent me the bolt repair kit. I haven't had any time to do anything with it since he sent the kit and things probably won't let me get to it for at least another couple of weeks either. Dave definitely stands behind his stuff though, and I wouldn't hesitate to buy from him again!

I purchased a small parts kit from D.Wilson & it had a Enhanced Extractor in the Kit & it didn't make a difference . As I said , I have two of his Bolts , one with a complete BCG . I'm debating getting one of his NIB Bolts to see if it has something to do with the finish on the extractor & Bolt.

Ya never know , both I have are Nitrated & it may make a difference .  

• 4 weeks later...

Now that I have this rifle working properly, I decided to get rid of the stock trigger and drop in the Rough Justice trigger that is languishing in my parts bin. It didn't take long, very easy install. The trigger felt air-light just dry firing, and I could tell it was a major improvement over the stock trigger in the LPK. I finally got out to the range yesterday, and the instant I set up on the bench the skies opened up with torrential downpours and lightning. The RO came over and showed me a weather map on his phone. Long wait. I was so mad. I said "F it. I'm waiting it out." 30 minutes later the rains finally subsided, everything was soaked and muddy. Happy Father's Day.

Undeterred, I decided to slog through it. Put up some targets, and began. OH MY! THIS TRIGGER IS INCREDIBLE! Training says you are supposed to be surprised when the rifle goes off. Yeah, I was surprised! All you have to do is think of it and it goes off. It takes some getting used to but is definitely worth it. Sharp, crisp, no creep. I can see why so many like the RJ trigger. Dan, please get these back up and on the shelf soon.:thumbup:

Edited by mineralman55

• 4 weeks later...

Minor update on the whole weapon. I really like this combination of parts, very easy to handle, good performance, FUN! Have about 300 more rounds thru it, not a single FTF or FTE. Perfect function. Only problem has been the hammer and trigger pins on the Rough Justice trigger. The were walking out after each session. I tried tightening down the set screws on the RJ trigger but that only slowed down the walking process, it didn't eliminate it. I suspect the polymer lower has a relatively low yield strength to the pressure exerted by the tiny diameter set screws (I contacted TNArms about this... haven't heard back.)

I have a RJ trigger in my Maten, and the pins don't walk on that, it seemed to happen only on the polymer TNArms lower. I called Van and discussed it with him. He had not heard of this phenomenon before and suggested I get some anti walk pins. So I bought a set of CMC 0.154" anti walk pins for $11. Easy install, about 5 minutes. Both pins' ends are threaded to take a very small, unobtrusive screw. Tighten them down, done. Problem solved.

Those of you with polymer lowers and drop-in triggers, you might keep an eye on the fire control group pins.