• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Barrel selection.....

Trumpet

Ok, so I have an Aero M5 set on the way for my first "big" AR.  I'm pretty set on .308 (I just don't have access to the range to take advantage of the 6.5 CM).  Anyway, I'm barrel shopping and somewhat overwhelmed.  What are some of the more "Wallet Friendly" choices?  This is going to be a rifle for fun, but precision would be top priority.  I'd love a Krieger/Bartlein/JP, but I just can't swing the money.  I'd like 20".

So, some of my considerations are....

Criterion Hybrid from Brownells...or maybe one from FA (I'm concerned though because there were a few reports in the big Aero thread on ARF, about the Criterion barrels fitting loosely in some M5 uppers).  Also what is the accuracy like on the Criterion chrome lined barrels?

Rainier Rock Creek

Faxon

BA

Mega

BHW

Mega

X-caliber

CMMG

Any better than any others?  Any to avoid?  Any that are known to have a "tight fit" in an M5 upper?

6 minutes ago, Trumpet said:

Ok, so I have an Aero M5 set on the way for my first "big" AR.  I'm pretty set on .308 (I just don't have access to the range to take advantage of the 6.5 CM).  Anyway, I'm barrel shopping and somewhat overwhelmed.  What are some of the more "Wallet Friendly" choices?  This is going to be a rifle for fun, but precision would be top priority.  I'd love a Krieger/Bartlein/JP, but I just can't swing the money.  I'd like 20".

Criterion Hybrid from Brownells...or maybe one from FA (I'm concerned though because there were a few reports in the big Aero thread on ARF, about the Criterion barrels fitting loosely in some M5 uppers).  Also what is the accuracy like on the Criterion chrome lined barrels?

Rainier Rock Creek

Faxon

BA

Mega

BHW

Mega

X-caliber

CMMG

Any better than any others?  Any to avoid?  Any that are known to have a "tight fit" in an M5 upper?

I'd avoid X-cal after the issuers JT had. Although he could tell you how to fix them now, but those guys were douche canoes...

Yep, I'd avoid the X-caliber. They were about $100 bucks cheaper when I got mine but I spent near that in ammo trying to dial in the gas port size they had blown, thankfully they went on the small size. Accuracy is OK but it doesn't seem to handle heat all that well for the heavy profile it is. They also didn't play well when called out about the issue here on the forum.

Wait....wait....wait. You wanna build a 308 on the AR platform and TRY to save a couple bucks? :lmao:

Welcome to the bank draining world of the large frame AR's my man.

You'll find out.................................it's a disease........and the only cure is................CASH! :lmao:

2 hours ago, Rsquared said:

Wait....wait....wait. You wanna build a 308 on the AR platform and TRY to save a couple bucks? :lmao:

Welcome to the bank draining world of the large frame AR's my man.

You'll find out.................................it's a disease........and the only cure is................CASH! :lmao:

Well, R2, that works most of the time.....  But for the more advanced cases, latest research indicates the best cure is....MORECASH!  :laffs:

But you knew that.....

Edited by slugger43

18 hours ago, Trumpet said:

Rainier Rock Creek

Faxon

BA

Mega

BHW

Mega

X-caliber

CMMG

black hole has some decent barrels for reasonable prices. plenty of options also.

On ‎8‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 4:14 PM, shepp said:

I'd avoid X-cal after the issuers JT had. Although he could tell you how to fix them now, but those guys were douche canoes...

Generally our chrome lined barrels shoot sub-MOA with factory match ammunition, and are capable of half-MOA performance with handloads tailored to the barrel. Component selection normally comes in to play with those performance standards, as does the shooter, but if you find yourself shooting groups greater than 1 MOA with a variety of loads, feel free to give us a call and we'll help troubleshoot, repair, or replace the barrel if necessary.

.308 AR builds can occasionally be tricky, but we're always happy to help get them dialed in!

Also worth noting, the OD on our .308 AR barrel extensions measure out at about 1.185", so it may be worth contacting the receiver manufacturer to verify the ID of your receiver to verify a good fit. Tolerances vary between different receiver manufacturers, but we have had positive feedback regarding receiver fitment on a variety of different receiver models. If you have any questions about our barrels, feel free to give us a call or shoot us an email at contact@criterionbarrels.com. I would be more than happy to help answer them!

-Josh  

54 minutes ago, criterionbarrels said:

Generally our chrome lined barrels shoot sub-MOA with factory match ammunition, and are capable of half-MOA performance with handloads tailored to the barrel. Component selection normally comes in to play with those performance standards, as does the shooter, but if you find yourself shooting groups greater than 1 MOA with a variety of loads, feel free to give us a call and we'll help troubleshoot, repair, or replace the barrel if necessary.

.308 AR builds can occasionally be tricky, but we're always happy to help get them dialed in!

Also worth noting, the OD on our .308 AR barrel extensions measure out at about 1.185", so it may be worth contacting the receiver manufacturer to verify the ID of your receiver to verify a good fit. Tolerances vary between different receiver manufacturers, but we have had positive feedback regarding receiver fitment on a variety of different receiver models. If you have any questions about our barrels, feel free to give us a call or shoot us an email at contact@criterionbarrels.com. I would be more than happy to help answer them!

-Josh  

That right there is why I would go with criterion or faxon both active board members, both always great to work with and both great guys. Plus josh is a stand up guy he was going to meet me last summer and let me shoot his guns but I had to cancel ??

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎8‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 7:41 PM, Trumpet said:

WOW!  Thanks Josh.  Also, what kind of chambers do your .308 barrels have?  I prefer 175 smks from Black Hills.

That's perfect for our M118 LR chamber option. It's designed to best accommodate the 168's and 175's. We generally run that chamber on our Hybrid contour and ADM designed barrel options. Feel free to shoot us an email at contact@criterionbarrels.com if you would like a copy of the reamer print.

http://criterionbarrels.com/products/adm-nitrided-308-ar-barrels

http://criterionbarrels.com/barrels/.308_AR/ar-10-hybrid

• 1 month later...

Finished my 308 sbr build last month. The only short barrel I could find was a 12" CMMG, I was skeptical after reading bad reviews. Had my new toy up in Montana and was pleasantly surprised at the accuracy. Shot everything from 110-180, without an issue. Worked 500yds for a few hours and avg 6" groups. 

1 minute ago, airtoad said:

Finished my 308 sbr build last month. The only short barrel I could find was a 12" CMMG, I was skeptical after reading bad reviews. Had my new toy up in Montana and was pleasantly surprised at the accuracy. Shot everything from 110-180, without an issue. Worked 500yds for a few hours and avg 6" groups. 

Way to go Airtoad !    I bet the flames coming out the barrel is an awesome sight too      your rifle is a testament to show that one doesnt need a 20/22 inch  monster bull barrel for accuracy :thumbup:  Wash