• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

free float handguard for 308 dpms hunter g2...

dtom

3 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

Anything that fits an AR15 is supposed to fit the G2,

i doubt it. i have been looking all day and it seems that a handguard has to be specifically for the g2 dpms rifle. the only one i found so far is made by midwest industries. then, the high and low profile kicks in..

13 minutes ago, dtom said:

i doubt it. i have been looking all day and it seems that a handguard has to be specifically for the g2 dpms rifle. the only one i found so far is made by midwest industries. then, the high and low profile kicks in..

There another one too like I said there are numerous topics asking this exact question

It also reads @ the Receiver Rail  " Reduced overall Height , Length & Weight " . Now what does the mean , as far as the rail ? I thought the Post 2009 Rail Height was to bring it to AR 15 height , does this mean its of another dimension or height ?

I'd like to have one , but not going to buy one to test Hand Guards out . Its up to you new owners to let us know .:lmao:

G2 only has one height. The LR308 had the high and low. Low is AR15 height. G2 should also be AR15 height but the barrel nut seems to be different? So I wouldn't chance spending money on a rail unless I knew for sure it had been done. They market the G2 as more compatible with AR15 parts, but it seems to be pretty proprietary outside of LPKs. I'm sure that will change as the platform is adopted by the aftermarket. 

6 hours ago, blue109 said:

G2 only has one height. The LR308 had the high and low. Low is AR15 height. G2 should also be AR15 height but the barrel nut seems to be different? So I wouldn't chance spending money on a rail unless I knew for sure it had been done. They market the G2 as more compatible with AR15 parts, but it seems to be pretty proprietary outside of LPKs. I'm sure that will change as the platform is adopted by the aftermarket. 

But , DPMS has not made a "High " Receiver Rail since 2009 , they have been the " Low " Rail height ,as an AR 15 since , so why would they say its " Reduced overall Height " , that statement is confusing & misleading .

What , you have never purchased a Hand guard that didn't fit ?:laffs:

Someone has to take one for the G2 Team at some point , If I had one , I would make it work . You may be right about that Barrel nut , but with out one out for Dimensional measurements , No Idea. 

Edited by survivalshop

14 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

Best bet might be to call DPMS - if they say they designed it to use .223 parts, and .223 parts don't work, then how did they design it?  Phone calls are easy.

you are 100% right and i agree but here is what threw me off.

i found this on the midway industries website....

https://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=2523

in red they say "designed specifically for the dpms g2 rifle" what is so specific and different that manufacturers are designing for the g2.

3 hours ago, dtom said:

i will call DPMS to find out if the g2 hunter is low or high profile.

Those measurements have nothing to do with the G2 , they are pre 2009 & post 2009 Upper Receiver Rail heights of the original DPMS LR 308"s . The low being what is supposed to be the same as the AR 15 .

MidWest makes a good Hand Guard , I have one on my 16" 308AR & a new one on my AR 15 Piston Build , I like them . The G2 version probably has a different Barrel Nut compared to the LR 308

Edited by survivalshop

• 3 weeks later...

so after ton of research and wasting money on finding a handguard for the G2 hunter, i finally got to the conclusion that only 3 companies make a handguard for the G2 platform specically. so don't waste your money before you read this thread..

yankee hill, samson manufacturing corp and midwest industries..

the problem with this platform isn't the handguard itself, it is the mounting point. I am referring to the barrel nut and the threads.

i went with samson. so let's talk about samson manf. corp.

If you own a G2 HUNTER and you decide to go with SAMSON, along with the hanguard you will need to take your barrel nut off and swap it with this one:"DPMS BARREL NUT PART NUMBER F310043" that's all you need to install your new handguard. otherwise it will not work.

here is the finished product along with the new barrel nut installed. I went with samson "km-evo-g2-15".

the total install cost me 295$DPMS HUNTER G2.jpgdpms barrel nut.jpg

spacer.gif

28 minutes ago, blue109 said:

For being touted as a "universal" platform it sure has alot of proprietary parts. I understand the larger chamber prevents them from using an AR15 barrel nut, but why not use a LR308 barrel nut so you could at least use commonly available handguards?

great question to a simple answer, it won't work. i called samson and i spoke with a tech. They sell a proprietary barrel nut part number "DPMS-BN" because my original thought was to use, like you said, a proprietary barrel nut that gives me the flexibility to use different ar-15 handguards. the tech simply said that the threads on the G2 are different than the LR generation. which brings the subject of why gen 3 pmags don't function properly on the G2's, that's a whole different thread that i started..DPMS claims that the G2 platform is the thing of the future but i think they made it a little complicated. my opinion only.

That's my point. Why are the threads different? DPMS built this platform from the ground up so why the hell would you introduce a proprietary thread pattern on your "universal" gun instead of going with an established spec with tons of aftermarket support? I think they had potential to own the market with this but missed the mark at the design table. Shame.

Not really a question any if us can answer, just thinking out loud.

Maybe it is because there is no mil spec for a 308 AR,LR barrel nut thread.  Also there may be a problem with patent violations. The reason for bringing out a new Gen ll could be a perceived need for changing the barrel attachment method, engineers do that you know. I have done that a time or two myself.