• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Big Trouble

98Z5V

I'm about to trip and fall into a Remington 700 in 300 Win Mag...  Fuk me...

Heavy barrel, 1:10" twist, Bell & Carlson M40 stock...  This isn't gonna go well...  Remington Model # 84164.

Model700LR_Profile_Right.png?itok=Ea0Gxl

Edited by 98Z5V

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Been reading the reviews in this particular model #.  It's a good one, provided it receives it's "standard attention" throughout the QC process - haven't been any POSs passed to consumers on this one yet.  I just can't pass it up for $630...

yeah, good scope is always important. I read somewhere that the US is the only country in the world where most shooters don't spend as much on glass as they do their rifle... or something like that. sounds about right though, most people don't have or at least don't put the money into an expensive piece of glass. admittedly I don't. :embarrassed:

yeah, I haven't heard anything bad about the model. I have just owned a lot of remingtons and the recent ones I have gotten or friends/family have gotten I haven't been impressed with. so until things change, they aren't seeing a cent from me. just personal preference.

hope it works out for you though, would be a great deal.

I've been looking at the Ruger American in 300WM , I 'm having a hard time talking myself into it ,because I have no place to air the cartridge out , nor do I really have a need for one . Where you live & shoot , at least you have the distance to use that caliber . I even have a new set of never used RCBS Die set for the 300 Win  Mag. 

Do you need them ?

19 minutes ago, Sisco said:

98: Quick question, Do you like the 700 over the Savage bolt? I am kicking around a 300 WM and trying to figure out which left hand model would be best. I figure you have reasons for the 700 and would like to hear them.

I my self would go savage I know he pointed them out to me in the past. I'm done with remmington as they stand right now. Another thing that makes me go savage over remmington is my buddy who works for krieger told me their action is top notch, one of the only manufactures they don't touch when they accurize a rifle

My son and I both shoot 30-06 Savage bolts for Deer Season now, though he plans to use the AR10 rifle this year. I still regret trading in my Dad's old 700 from 1951 for a Colt AR15 HBAR in 1994. Should have kept it and paid cash. I am open minded but my old Remington loyalty isn't there any more. But my Savage loyalty is.  I just want to get the best rifle if I do get one.

I wasn't

invited but do have an experience with Savage left handed bolt rifles, don't think they can be beat specially in their price range. I sold several back in the 70s thru the 90s.  One custome, my barber,r brought one in 3006, bolt would not open on one of his hot hand loads.  I asked him about how hot,at first he wouldn't tell me. I explained that his warranty was already cancelled an if I couldn't fix it in my shop it was a wall hanger. I had him bring some of the fired cases and the extra high pressure was plain to see. I hammered the bolt open, broke the extractor. I was able to drive the case out with a steel rod it had a complete bolt face on the cartridge head.  I replaced the extractor and spring. He was still shooting the Savage when he died of a heart attack twelve years later.

1 hour ago, Sisco said:

My son and I both shoot 30-06 Savage bolts for Deer Season now, though he plans to use the AR10 rifle this year. I still regret trading in my Dad's old 700 from 1951 for a Colt AR15 HBAR in 1994. Should have kept it and paid cash. I am open minded but my old Remington loyalty isn't there any more. But my Savage loyalty is.  I just want to get the best rifle if I do get one.

That's my plan for my next gun, I love my .308 but I miss having a 30-06. As for yours dad's 700 think I'd feel the same, like comparing apples to oranges with remmington of then and now.

1 hour ago, mrmackc said:

I wasn't

invited but do have an experience with Savage left handed bolt rifles, don't think they can be beat specially in their price range. I sold several back in the 70s thru the 90s.  One custome, my barber,r brought one in 3006, bolt would not open on one of his hot hand loads.  I asked him about how hot,at first he wouldn't tell me. I explained that his warranty was already cancelled an if I couldn't fix it in my shop it was a wall hanger. I had him bring some of the fired cases and the extra high pressure was plain to see. I hammered the bolt open, broke the extractor. I was able to drive the case out with a steel rod it had a complete bolt face on the cartridge head.  I replaced the extractor and spring. He was still shooting the Savage when he died of a heart attack twelve years later.

Okay, what was the powder load/bullet combo?  Inquiring minds want to know!

5 hours ago, Sisco said:

98: Quick question, Do you like the 700 over the Savage bolt? I am kicking around a 300 WM and trying to figure out which left hand model would be best. I figure you have reasons for the 700 and would like to hear them.

I like them both, Savage and Rem.  The Savage AccuTrigger is far better than anything Rem has ever offered in a bolt gun, that's for sure.  You don't need to replace it. 

For the 300WM, I'd rather go with the Rem, based solely on the amount of aftermarket parts for available for 700s, and my own familiarity with 700s.  Savage does make a great bolt gun, though, and I wouldn't hesitate - especially if I found a 300WM already in a nice $270 stock, heavy barrel, for $630...  :thumbup:

4 hours ago, planeflyer21 said:

Okay, what was the powder load/bullet combo?  Inquiring minds want to know!

I think he was using IMR4064 or 4895, as most of us in the club did. I used a max load about 5% under the 50.8 max and  IMR4064 as shown in my manual and was not showing high pressure marks on the lake city cases. He was at 52.5 grains of 4064 according to my FFL gun repair notes from 1978. I sent in the original manuals, but kept backup hand copies, as required when I didn't renew my FFL in 1993. I am pretty sure he was loading Speer or Sierra 168 grain (which is what I sold back then. I remember I settled on 47 grains of 4064 for my 03A3 Springfield (Santa Fe Arms) 4 groove barrel. That was the best grouping load I found for the 168 grain FMJ. My M1 also shot well with the load, I always separated the cases because the M1 chamber was considerably larger than the 03A3.

What powder and load do you use for 3006?

I should have never bought that LR308 dammit!..... I am too old to be getting that old itch, I thought I had put to rest, but it never really dies, I reckon. 

Now I'm looking at a new walnut stocked M1A National Match rifle with all the goodies ($2200 sale price) to replace the old M1 I gave to my son. Someone please shoot me and get me out of my misery.

10 minutes ago, mrmackc said:

Now I'm looking at a new walnut stocked M1A National Match rifle with all the goodies ($2200 sale price) to replace the old M1 I gave to my son. Someone please shoot me and get me out of my misery.

Look in the North Carolina Armslist. There is a M1A1 in there that is National Match everything for considerably less money.  Thought I'd just help ya out a bit. :laffs:

I'm a savage fan, good rifles for the price. if I wanted something better and had the money to spend, I would just custom build a bolt gun. so savage has my vote.

but for the price, I would say THAT Remington is worth it. 

Edited by ARTrooper
forgot to add the last line.

6 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

I like them both, Savage and Rem.  The Savage AccuTrigger is far better than anything Rem has ever offered in a bolt gun, that's for sure.  You don't need to replace it. 

For the 300WM, I'd rather go with the Rem, based solely on the amount of aftermarket parts for available for 700s, and my own familiarity with 700s.  Savage does make a great bolt gun, though, and I wouldn't hesitate - especially if I found a 300WM already in a nice $270 stock, heavy barrel, for $630...  :thumbup:

:thumbup::thumbup:

3 hours ago, mrmackc said:

I think he was using IMR4064 or 4895, as most of us in the club did. I used a max load about 5% under the 50.8 max and  IMR4064 as shown in my manual and was not showing high pressure marks on the lake city cases. He was at 52.5 grains of 4064 according to my FFL gun repair notes from 1978. I sent in the original manuals, but kept backup hand copies, as required when I didn't renew my FFL in 1993. I am pretty sure he was loading Speer or Sierra 168 grain (which is what I sold back then. I remember I settled on 47 grains of 4064 for my 03A3 Springfield (Santa Fe Arms) 4 groove barrel. That was the best grouping load I found for the 168 grain FMJ. My M1 also shot well with the load, I always separated the cases because the M1 chamber was considerably larger than the 03A3.

What powder and load do you use for 3006?

I should have never bought that LR308 dammit!..... I am too old to be getting that old itch, I thought I had put to rest, but it never really dies, I reckon. 

I am still shooting 30-06 handloads with 46 grains of 4064 that I loaded in 1979. I loaded 600, what can I say?

:fullauto: