• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

California Compliant Options after New Year

FreQRiDeR

Greetings Cali Shooters! I'm wondering what you all are thinking about doing, come new year in order to keep our rifles compliant? I narrowed it down to 5 options. 1; AR Maglock/Bullet Button Reloaded. 2; Thordsen FRS-15 stock. 3; sharkfin type grip.(fugly) 4; stubby grip/knob. 5; register assault weapon. 

I really dont want all the restrictions of having a registered assault weapon, so that's out. I don't like the fixed mag idea either.  (Pivoting the upper off the lower to release the mag) I think the Thordsen Stock makes the most sense and you can employ a standard mag release button! Has anyone tried one of there stocks on an AR 10 yet? They make an adapter for it? 

Thanks all, 

FreQRiDeR

1 hour ago, blue109 said:

images.jpg

They're not far off from that.

Henry has a new detachable magazine Long Range in .308 Winchester.  That may be worth a look.  The Browning BLR is an option along the lever lines too.  Remington still makes their 7600 pump action, very fast!  You can also get 10-round aftermarket magazines for the 7600.

Won't be long before Cali has pumps banned, following the Aussie model.

Since we're in the topic, what are the restrictions with registering?  I've been assuming that is what I'll do, but haven't really looked into it. Option 6 is take everything fishing New Years weekend and hope they don't all sink with the boat. 

27 minutes ago, DNP said:

Since we're in the topic, what are the restrictions with registering?  I've been assuming that is what I'll do, but haven't really looked into it. Option 6 is take everything fishing New Years weekend and hope they don't all sink with the boat. 

No restrictions on what you can register.  In the future, the restrictions will be on what you can keep.

51 minutes ago, blue109 said:

I think the AZ crew needs to pool resources and open up an ammo wholesale warehouse in quartzite

Then we'd have to deal with the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Dept.

This apparently misinformed geographical reference has been brought to you in rememberance of Donald P. Scott.

California Options;

1. I can't condone this option due to my career choice, but as FREE MEN you ALWAYS have the option, right or wrong, to not comply. Just understand the consequences.

2. Install one of the newly designed "magazine lock" devices, and hope they are considered "legal".
    1. *NEW* Prince "Freedom" Bullet Button
    2. AR Mag Lock
    3. Franklin Armory DFM conversion

3. Make a "Featureless" rifle; by removing a telescopic/folding/thumb-hole stock, pistol grip, foreword vertical grip, bayonet lug, grenade/flare launcher and flash suppressor (basically, making a Mini-14 or M1a) you can now have a semi-automatic, center-fire rifle, with a detachable magazine. As long as the "fixed" magazine is 10 rounds or less, and the overall length of the rifle is at least 30". 

This is where the "new" stocks come from, and all the kydex pistol grip wraps. The biggest companies making products are;
    1. Thordsen Customs
    2. Exile Machine
    3. Hera Arms (but I don't think the CA version has been released yet, as it's not listed on their site.)

4. Register the rifle as a "California Assault Weapon"..... The only problem with this is that the criteria for "registering" has not changed. To date, only two "groups" of persons are allowed to register an AW in Cali, so if you don't belong to one of these groups... good luck!
    1. A full time peace officer WITH a signed letter from his/her Chief of Police authorizing the registration.
    2. A License Hollywood Prop designer/caretaker (who can be audited regularly, without notice, by CA-DOJ).

Needless to say, the options aren't "great" but there are a few.... and more and more are coming out every day.

2 hours ago, DNP said:

Well, you can only drive to and from shooting range and not many ranges allow registeres assault weapons. Get gas? Felony. Grab a burger on theway home? U guessedit. Felony. Also you can't let anyone else use it. No exceptions! Probably more that I'm notaware of. Having a registered assault weapon is no joke. Much stricter laws guiding use and transportation. 

We'll see how the Trump does. I might be in the State of Jefferson here soon so to hell with California! 

Btw. California, if you're so worried about civi's having big guns why don't you talk to Hollywood and tell them to stop shoving guns down out throats! They're the reason we're all gun nuts in America, after all! 

On 12/5/2016 at 9:52 AM, Robocop1051 said:

California Options;

1. I can't condone this option due to my career choice, but as FREE MEN you ALWAYS have the option, right or wrong, to not comply. Just understand the consequences.

2. Install one of the newly designed "magazine lock" devices, and hope they are considered "legal".
    1. *NEW* Prince "Freedom" Bullet Button
    2. AR Mag Lock
    3. Franklin Armory DFM conversion

3. Make a "Featureless" rifle; by removing a telescopic/folding/thumb-hole stock, pistol grip, foreword vertical grip, bayonet lug, grenade/flare launcher and flash suppressor (basically, making a Mini-14 or M1a) you can now have a semi-automatic, center-fire rifle, with a detachable magazine. As long as the "fixed" magazine is 10 rounds or less, and the overall length of the rifle is at least 30". 

This is where the "new" stocks come from, and all the kydex pistol grip wraps. The biggest companies making products are;
    1. Thordsen Customs
    2. Exile Machine
    3. Hera Arms (but I don't think the CA version has been released yet, as it's not listed on their site.)

4. Register the rifle as a "California Assault Weapon"..... The only problem with this is that the criteria for "registering" has not changed. To date, only two "groups" of persons are allowed to register an AW in Cali, so if you don't belong to one of these groups... good luck!
    1. A full time peace officer WITH a signed letter from his/her Chief of Police authorizing the registration.
    2. A License Hollywood Prop designer/caretaker (who can be audited regularly, without notice, by CA-DOJ).

Needless to say, the options aren't "great" but there are a few.... and more and more are coming out every day.

well Robocop1051, as for #1 I'd like to remain a FREE MAN so...

I did this to make my rifle more california compliant ;)

image.jpeg

On ‎12‎/‎7‎/‎2016 at 2:47 AM, FreQRiDeR said:

We'll see how the Trump does. I might be in the State of Jefferson here soon so to hell with California! 

Btw. California, if you're so worried about civi's having big guns why don't you talk to Hollywood and tell them to stop shoving guns down out throats! They're the reason we're all gun nuts in America, after all! 

The movies condone mindless murder and mayhem. They do not portray the law-abiding lawful use of firearms by responsible Americans. Then you have those that have made their money using firearms in the movies, telling said law-abiding Americans they shouldn't have firearms. I say fuk them all and will send one penny in there direction. They can have armed guards. Fuk that I'll do my own dirty work. FUK HOLLYWOOD.

11 minutes ago, unforgiven said:

The movies condone mindless murder and mayhem. They do not portray the law-abiding lawful use of firearms by responsible Americans. Then you have those that have made their money using firearms in the movies, telling said law-abiding Americans they shouldn't have firearms. I say fuk them all and will send one penny in there direction. They can have armed guards. Fuk that I'll do my own dirty work. FUK HOLLYWOOD.

Well said.:thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/4/2016 at 9:49 PM, FreQRiDeR said:

Greetings Cali Shooters! I'm wondering what you all are thinking about doing, come new year in order to keep our rifles compliant? I narrowed it down to 5 options. 1; AR Maglock/Bullet Button Reloaded. 2; Thordsen FRS-15 stock. 3; sharkfin type grip.(fugly) 4; stubby grip/knob. 5; register assault weapon. 

I really dont want all the restrictions of having a registered assault weapon, so that's out. I don't like the fixed mag idea either.  (Pivoting the upper off the lower to release the mag) I think the Thordsen Stock makes the most sense and you can employ a standard mag release button! Has anyone tried one of there stocks on an AR 10 yet? They make an adapter for it? 

Thanks all, 

FreQRiDeR

I'm curious, what restrictions are you taking about, should I register mine as an assault rifle? (I'm not being facetious, I really want/need to know) thanks. 

We have a year before we have to do anything. Sit tight and see how January plays out. My concern is how will they handle up to that deadline of you are running the old style button?  Lawsuits can't start until January 2nd, so we'll have to see how it goes.