• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Side Charger Upper

KS63

Planning on building just an Upper for a 6.5 Creedmoore precision rifle and can only find two manufacturers, J-P and American Sporit Arms, through a Google search. Who here has done something like this? Any information you can throw this way would be appreciated, especially the Pro's and Con's of this conversion.

Can't go wrong with JP if you can afford it. lol. There are other companies out there that offer side charging handles, just watch out of low quality materials that some have.

might be something you could look at.

https://www.fd-defense.com/products/fd308/

Not sure if these guys sell uppers but their rifles look sexy.

Other than that, all I can think of is plenty with right side charging handles but I never liked those.

18 hours ago, survivalshop said:

That Upper Receiver & Handguard look familiar , as does the new Savage 308 AR .

They were one of the very first to offer a .338LM AR, years ago.  We posted about that, and at the time, it was only CAD drawings and renditions on their website.  :thumbup:

https://www.fd-defense.com/products/fd338/

The Upper Receiver to Hand Guard attachment must be a novel or very good way to mate the two , seems like they are made by the same Manufacturer or there is some Patent issues with some of these . 

I personally like the way they attach , as I do with the LaRue rifles .

Edited by survivalshop

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Any of you tried with side chargers thought about converting the upper to a single shot? That's the end game for the 6.5 Creedmoor upper. Bench gun (mostly unless I use it for some Pronghorn hunting) that I can load my ammo COAL longer than magazine length. Manual loading of the rounds just like a BR rifle. I'm just weird like that. I like thinking outside the box.